Thread: Annual September 11th Farmington Flag Rock hike

Annual September 11th Farmington Flag Rock hike

On September 11th each year we all remember those Americans who lost their lives in the destruction of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. A few of us commemorate this tragedy with a special hike to Flag Rock in Farmington. Everyone is invited to join us. Damian Darcy, was an EMT who survived the collapse of the world trade center by only a few minuites. He now lives here in Utah and leads the hike to Flag rock on September 11, each year. Bogleyites and friends are invited to join this hike with Damian and hear his story of how he survived and how he lost so many friends that day.

The following is from the event page on Geocaching.com
    4 Mile round trip average time is 4 hours. We do not rush you but work with you to help you experience this trail and the hike. Come enjoy the view of the Great Salt Lake THIS YEAR WE HAVE A Double BONUS: See Below

ALL ARE WELCOME - EVEN IF NOT MAKING THE HIKE STOP BY BASECAMP see the FLAG OF HONOR AND MEET SOME OF THE OTHERS THERE !!!! SIGN THE LOG BOOK
    The Starting point Base camp is
    Farmington Firehouse
    82 North 100 East
    Farmington City, Utah 84025

A great hike with a great view of the salt lake come experience what the NY Fire fighters did as you make your journey to the top of the Flag Rock Trail. See a spectacular view of the Great Salt lake while remembering those lost.

DOUBLE BONUS THIS YEAR:
    Bonus #1) AFTER FOUR YEARS OF HARD WORK, "IN HONOR" A 9/11 TRIBUTE TRUCK IS EXPECTED TO BE PAINTED AND READY - COME SEE THIS INCREDIBLE MOVING TRIBUTE TO THE FALLEN FIRE FIGHTERS ACROSS THE USA, AND THOSE FALLEN ON 9/11/01..

Bonus # 2) LOCKJAW is working on envelopes with the Heroes stamp which will be postmarked 9-11-10 in the early morning. He will be selling these and donating all proceeds. please send him a message if you'd like one.

This Trail is now a part of the Farmington city trails. and the slope has been decreased making this trail even easier. Randy West took an 80+ year old man up the trail this past May.

Trail Chief Randall West will be there to guide you up to Flag Rock as well as answer questions about the Flag, and the Trail.

The Flag was originally placed in the spring of 2002 in honor of September 11th. Several Flags have since replaced the original which now sits in the Farmington Museum..

From the flag looking down to State street is the height the World Trade Center once stood.

as a Former New York E.M.T. I ( UTDARCY) responded on 9/11/01. I lost many friends and colleagues that fateful day.

In 2006 I came across this tribute hike (hosted by Aim High & Rugratrandall)

The Experience TOOK my BREATH AWAY !!!!!

in 2007 Aim High allowed me to plan the hike - the turnout was incredible - a great group of people.

Again in 2008 I hosted with a great Turnout including Utah newsman Alex Cabrerra and his camera man. and then Again in 2009 a great group of people. I have a Great Photo from the 2009 event.

Please feel free to bring your Trackables for discovery or to come and share some of your GEOCACHING EXperiences with other attendees

Travel Bug - 9-11 Tribute will be displayed at basecamp throughout the hike. ( this Bug does not get out much - this is your chance to log it's find )

Rugratrandall ( Flag Rock Trail Chief) , and I will be at the starting area (BASECAMP) Around 6 AM

we expect arrivals between 6:15 and 6:30.
    At 6:45 there will be a moment of silence (A.A. flight # 11 hit first tower)
    A brief Memorial Tribute & we will than take a group photo at basecamp.

At 7:03 another moment of silence (Flight # 175 hit the second towers)

then we will then begin the journey up to flag rock. ( Everyone can move at their own Pace. )

at the top we will gather for a small meet & greet and take another group photo at flag rock with the FLAG & GREAT SALT LAKE IN THE BACKGROUND.

I ( UTDARCY) a Former NY E.M.T. will be there to talk with everyone and share my experiences with those who want to Know about my Experiences on Sept 11th at the world trade center in NY and the recovry Physical and emotional since.

Randall West will also be There. He is the founder and creator of this hike, and the flag on top of flag rock. He is recently (July 2009) appointed the Trail Chief for this new Farmington Trail.

Randy has worked very hard not only on this trail but in making this a Farmington City Recognized Trail ( Finally recognized in July 2009)

. Congratulate him and wish him the best. Without him this Hike would never have come to be..

This is a great way to pay respects to those who've fallen but also to get a perspective on what the firefighters endured. Also has some Great Views and photo Opportunities

BASECAMP will have a LOG BOOk to Sign. and hopefully if we get enough pictures from everyone we can nicely ASK (gotwings & Windbeneath to compile a video for us) in the years PAST they have Done some WONDERFUL VIDEOS )

Hope to see everyone there - newcomers as well as Repeat hikers.

This is not an Easy Hike but not a very difficult hike either. Bring lots of Water a few snacks ,and pace yourself. We will happily help anyone in need on the trail.

4 miles round trip hike - we will also be visiting Patsy's Mine along the trip and Randy can tell you about it's History for those interested.

QUICK Clarification: the 9-11 Tribute Truck is NOT A FIRE TRUCK. It is a Honda Passport that is getting a Custom 9-11 Paint Job "IN HONOR" of those Fallen on 9-11 and thereafter. Sorry for any confusion.

See you on the Trail

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BUMP
    See you on the Trail

Did I miss your Trip Report? How was it?