Thread: Ashdown Gorge

Ashdown Gorge

We are short on time and have no shuttle so bottom up is our only option.... is it worth it?
    So far our plan is to leave EARLY drive down south hike Kanarra then head to Ashdown then drive back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Bill
    What day are you planning on doing this? I might be able to help. From the top is the best.
    Kurt
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Thursday - should be down there around 9-10am
    We don't really care what we do first.. but top down would be awesome!

Let me see how I can adjust my schedule.(busy this week)
    , you need to do the top down and I need to show you some photo spots.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Top down is best and one of the highlights is hiking up into the Cedar Breaks Amphitheater. Personally, I would recommend not doing the hike if you are short on time. Two days is best and missing the Amphitheater would be a shame.

As much as I would like to take the rest of the week off to explore the area its not an option at this time. But I promise you i will make great use of what time I have.

Kurt, let me know whats up buddy. If you cant do Ashdown you're more than welcome to come hike Kanarra with us.

Ashdown Gorge from the bottom up to Tom's Head and Rattlesnake creek to the two waterfalls is absolutely amazing. However, only go when the water is flowing clear and low. Otherwise, it is a boulder hop in silty, quicksand pools and quite a challenge.
    The stream will narrow and become a torrent! One slip on a boulder and your camera gear will take a dunk. You will be constantly cleaning sand out of your shoes or river shoes. a real muck of a mess hike. but, if you drive up the road from cedar and take a peak at the creek and it is CLEAR? it is an amazing place! quiet braded stream
    narrows, an arch up on the canyon wall, all kinds of pine trees, and most important in so. utah? shade!!!! ahhhh..... I believe this will be a land grab that the monument has been salivating over for years and years. They want all the mountain from Brian Head's cattle guard to the bottom of the highway. They are negotiating with the land owners and SUU and campgrounds to make this happen in a nice way. However, just like the staircase, it could be one stroke of a pen and done deal.

Not too many places where your entire family can walk up a gentle stream glowing
    truly glowing with chert nodules and beautiful gold and red rocks in the stream bed.
    And, absolutely no bushwhack. You will see people coming down with full packs from the top which is the preferred overnighter way to do it.

As in all slots, watch out for rainy day. Don't go. It drains a huge huge area with several small streams coming out from Cedar Breaks amphitheatre.

I am jealous. I tried to take a group there and it was so silty
    that we called it the WONKA RIVER!!
    Name:  mudducks 011..jpg
Views: 400
Size:  85.0 KB
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

well now you have me re-interested in hiking up to the falls from the bottom
    I have dry bags for camera gear so that's not an issue.

Bogley BigShot
    This is one of my very favorites!!!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/dix...st-ashdown.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    As much as I would like to take the rest of the week off to explore the area its not an option at this time. But I promise you i will make great use of what time I have.

Kurt, let me know whats up buddy. If you cant do Ashdown you're more than welcome to come hike Kanarra with us.
    Bill
    I can do a shuttle for you guys.
    I would plan on making it a full day though.
    Do you have my e-mail? If not pm me.
    We'll swap phone #'s
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I think I'll do this from the bottom an Saturday, it's been on my list, thanks for the inspiration. I'm assuming the hike is dog friendly.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Win
    The trees are just barely starting to change, the hike from the top is very scenic and you tie into Ashdown Gorge.
    All dog friendly. My oldest is rodeoing on Saturday, but maybe I can free up some early morning time to set up a shuttle for you guys too.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Thanks, Kurt, sent you an e-mail.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Kurt you are the man and thanks again for the shuttle We made it from top to bottom in 7.5 hours with a side trip up Rattlesnake up to the falls and spent an insane amount of time taking photos. I will be processing images all weekend and should have a TR up next week.

nice

looking forward to the photos