Thread: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite

Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite

Robin, Aaron and I did a 3 night trip in Yosemite a few weeks ago to an area called the Ten Lakes Basin. This area is just north of Tioga Pass Road. We entered at the White Wolf campground and exited at the Murphy Creek trailhead at Tenya Lake.

Here is a map with dots showing our campsites

We got a very late start on Saturday. Friday we had concert tickets (Los Lonely Boys) and so we drove part way to Yosemite after the show and then slept late. Picking up permits, organizing food and it was mid-afternoon before we hit the trail. No worries though as the total distance was only about 25 miles with 4 days to cover it.

As we started in it quickly became clear that the El Nino winter of '09 had created El Mosquito Central of summer '10. Normally by mid-August the little buggers are gone, but not this year. The choices for campsites then became dictated by where we would be the least attacked. Another slight concern was a fire which was burning below White Wolf. Our trails were all open but there was a smoke smell and unfortunately some of the long distance shots I wanted were often a bit hazy. The trail climbed to a slight saddle and I could see a small knoll on the map just off trail to the east. Planning ahead we carried enough water to camp there and there were definitely fewer mosquitoes. This spot also gave us some nice views at sunset and even though we were only a few miles in from the road we had the place to ourselves.

Aaron had one requirement left on his Wilderness Survival Merit Badge; build a shelter using natural resources and sleep in it. Up on this knoll he located an slight overhanging rock and gathered logs (already downed) to make a shelter.

He took this one of me from inside it

The next day had the hardest climbing up a pass into the Ten Lakes Basin. Up here we encountered quite a few people, but mostly they were heading out as it was Sunday. Somehow though, every place we stopped for snacks or to rest we had the lake or viewpoints all to ourselves. Could this really be Yosemite???

We continued down to Cathedral Creek on a very steep set of switchbacks over loose rocks. It was a long day and we were happy to finally reach a campsite near the creek and delighted to find it empty of people.

The next day we had a climb again up to a pass but first started out in some delightful forested areas which finally brought us to a cute tarn tucked up on the way to the pass. I thought it was like one of those "infinity pools" but sierra-style

Here you are looking down the valley that holds Cathedral Creek. Beyond the green valley the granite domes you see form the opposite side of the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne River. We would be heading down there in a few days on our second trip.

We could have easily hiked out to the road on this day but it seemed nicer to spend another night backcountry camping than camping in a developed campsite. I noticed a lake just a short distance cross-country from the trail called the Poly Dome Lakes. It turned out that there was a well developed social trail to it and it was a lovely spot. Here there were a two other groups already camped. But a tiny bit of extra effort put us on the far end of the lake and again enjoying our own private beach. Aaron and I swam out to a rock in the middle of the lake.

The next morning was just beautiful and I did my best attempt at capturing it

An easy hike brought us quickly to the road. I left Robin and Aaron and the packs at the day use picnic area and thumbed a ride back to White Wolf to get the car. It sure beat waiting until afternoon for the once-a-day bus and it didn't hurt that the two girls who offered me a ride were so cute. [Yes - I mentioned my *family* was waiting for me!]

It wasn't the top most scenic spot in Yosemite but it also was definitely not as crowded as some of those places are. All in all, a very nice trip that we all enjoyed.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Beautiful pictures. Congrats to Aaron for his Wilderness Survival Merit Badge! Thanks for sharing!
    Chere'

Fantastic trip report and pictures! Thanks for posting!

Very nice! Yosemite is on the "to do" list.

Nice trip report and pics!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Nice Tr and pics Paul. Looks like a great place for a hike.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?