Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLR + Point & Shoot for backpacking

SLR + Point & Shoot for backpacking

I'm thinking about getting a higher end point and shoot camera to use while hiking down the trail while backpacking. Here's my logic:

Typically have my XSi with my 10-22mm lens on as I walk down the trail. In my pack I usually have my 3lb Manfrotto tripod, a rather heavy 18-200mm lens and then the trimmings, extra battery, filters, etc. I'm thinking I wouldn't lose much by losing the 18-200, throwing the xsi with the wide lens in the pack and then just carry something like the new Canon S95 or SD4500 while walking down the trail. Easier to take pictures casually, less bulk, and despite the fact that I would be packing my XSi body in my pack it would actually lighten my load overall to get rid of that 18-200. And when I'm not hiking I still have my tripod, SLR and wide lens to walk around with and put more effort into taking some good photos.

Do any of you do anything like this? Do you think I'd be giving up a lot by going this route? Do you think it would be that bad to go with a point and shoot that doesn't shoot in raw? That's one of my biggest hangups, I love the things you can do with a raw image in post and would hate to lose that but the new S95, while having some awesome features lacks some others that the JPEG shooters have like 1080p video at 30fps (it has 720p at 24fps) and a good optical zoom 10x on the SD4500 for example.

Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i have the s90, and it is perfect for the casual stuff. looks like the s95 has all the same features, essentially.

however, i've given up almost entirely on canon's rebel format for backpacking, and gone to m4/3 format. i can carry a 7-14, 20 1.7, 14-45, and 45-200 and still be under 3 pounds. tripod is a 29 ounce gitzo. or you can carry a zipshot tripod, but it won't be very stable with a rebel. it's 11 ounces.

the m4/3 is pretty much the ultimate lightweight interchangeable lens system, IMO.

I recently picked up this Slik Mini Sprint GM for backpacking and longer day hikes were I cant really justify lugging my large manfrotto.
    (storm trooper is just for scale)

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    i have the s90, and it is perfect for the casual stuff. looks like the s95 has all the same features, essentially.

however, i've given up almost entirely on canon's rebel format for backpacking, and gone to m4/3 format. i can carry a 7-14, 20 1.7, 14-45, and 45-200 and still be under 3 pounds. tripod is a 29 ounce gitzo. or you can carry a zipshot tripod, but it won't be very stable with a rebel. it's 11 ounces.

the m4/3 is pretty much the ultimate lightweight interchangeable lens system, IMO.
    That m4/3 is intriguing. What brand/model do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I recently picked up this Slik Mini Sprint GM for backpacking and longer day hikes were I cant really justify lugging my large manfrotto.
    (storm trooper is just for scale)
    Yeah, that's a slick tripod alright.

I bought my new Manfrotto like a week before you posted getting it and I was kicking myself. I was feeling good about 3 pounds until I saw that.

I use an S90 on longer hikes when I don't want to carry my XSi + lenses/gear. While the S90 isn't a DSLR, I have been impressed by what it can do.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

how much does the slik weigh?

i use a panasonic gf1. but, i would be heavily tempted to get a g2 nowadays.

how much does the slik weigh?
    B&H says 1.7 but I think that's a stretch.

wow. is it carbon fiber? how tall does it stand?

i just weighed my gitzo to be sure. 29 ounces. just under 2 pounds. if the slik is lighter, yowza!

Its aluminum , has a max height of 34" (w/o the column extended), and only supports 4.5lbs.
    For shooting long exposures I get nervous and spread that legs out a bit so it drops down to a little over 2'

When I travel light I usually bring just this:

It's a mere 7.5 pounds but it's a lot lighter than my other rig:

which I do break out occasionally if I'm going to go through a wider canyon because of the higher image quality.

After doing so many wet and cold canyons and having to carry a heavy drysuit plus all my other gear, camera gear has to weigh a heck of a lot before I start to feel like it's oppressive. Now... carrying camera gear when I have my drysuit too... hmm.

If the tripod is heavy and you have other guys in your group that aren't photographers and have a lighter load - just toss it to them and tell them if they carry the tripod you'll email them pictures. Cheaper than renting a pack mule :)
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

have you given up on the rebel just because of size and bulkiness? i am just about ready to buy some kind of interchangeable lens camera, and am suffering from some severe indecision.

originally, i was sold on the sony NEX 5, and told that it was the ultimate canyoneering camera, takes some great pictures and is super small and lightweight. i talked to some photographers who talked me out of it, and said they would not go with anything but canon or nikon. they said the sony doesnt have a whole lot of options (which is true), and to just suck it up and deal with an extra couple of ounces. so then i was set on picking up the rebel t2i with a wide angle lens and also probably 28-135mm. i would have more options and could do more stuff with it. plus, with a baby on the way, i have a feeling that i might be doing a few less canyons in the immediate future and be taking more pictures in less narrow settings, so a little bit bigger of a camera might not be horrible, but i still want something that i wont have any issues with canyoneering or backpacking, and that i can find a way to keep it easily accessible and relatively protected/waterproof. maybe i am asking for too much...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Just got a T2i about 1 month ago. Nice camera. With a new baby, the HD video might be a plus also.
    I still don't trust bringing a non waterproof camera into canyons, so I relegate that duty to my canon D10.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    so then i was set on picking up the rebel t2i with a wide angle lens and also probably 28-135mm.
    I'm sure some would disagree but I think the 28-135 is great for a full-frame camera but not the best lens for a camera with an APS-C sensor like a T2i. Keep in mind that all of your focal lengths on prospective lenses should be multiplied by 1.6 so that lens would become a 45-216mm lens. In my opinion that's good for telephoto stuff but too long for regular use. I use a 10-22 and an 18-200 on mine and am pretty happy with the range but inevitably there's always something to shoot that would be better with the lens you don't have on.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Just got a T2i about 1 month ago. Nice camera. With a new baby, the HD video might be a plus also.
    I still don't trust bringing a non waterproof camera into canyons, so I relegate that duty to my canon D10.
    But kurt - that is because you do canyons with water in them. Remember who you are talking to...

I still do have the D10 as well as the G10 for an occasion I wouldnt feel comfortable bringing the new camera in to.

And yeah, the APS-C sensor issue has been on my mind. I have been looking at the specs on lenses, and found that the 28-135 has a wider wide field of view listed than most 18-whatever zoom lenses, although I havent looked that closely.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    I have been looking at the specs on lenses, and found that the 28-135 has a wider wide field of view listed than most 18-whatever zoom lenses, although I havent looked that closely.
    Not sure what you mean by that, I may be misunderstanding but a lens that goes to 18mm will always be wider than a lens at 28mm.

There is a good chance that I dont actually know what I am talking. I am just learning all this stuff anyway.

Here is the 28-135mm I am looking at and here is the 18-135.

Looking at the specs, the angle of view on the 28 ranges from 76-18 degrees while the 18-135 says it ranges from 74-11. Like I said, there is a good change I am the one that is misinterpreting this, because it seemed odd to me as well...

I wouldn't even look at that angle of view spec. Just worry about the focal length (the MM spec). Then consider if you will be using it on a crop sensor camera like the T2i. That's the best way to compare the range of different lenses. An 18-200 will go much wider and much longer than a 28-135. Once you settle on a focal length check out reviews on the different options out there, some lenses perform better at certain points within their focal range than others. For example, I bought the Sigma 18-200, mostly because it was a lot cheaper than the Canon 18-200 but also because the reviews said the Canon did best towards the 200mm side of things and the Sigma did best towards the 18mm. I figured I would use it wide a lot more than long so I chose Sigma.