Thread: Skyline trail - Pineveiw to Lewis Peak

Skyline trail - Pineveiw to Lewis Peak

Thursday aug. 26 2010

So this is a lesson to be prepared. I was planning on going to lewis peak, and being back in about 3 1/2 hours. I filled my big camelback(100 oz) and headed out. The plan was to get to the peak fast and take it easy on the way down. The first part worked(well "fast" is a relative term) I started heading down and about 1/2 mile from the peak the rear tire was getting low. Damn! I quickly unhitched my wheel and started looking. Found a goathead. I dropped my pack and started reaching for the extra tube. Doh! The tube was missing. So I got the patch kit out and patched it up. I grabbed my pump and realized it had a part missing. I fought with the pump and managed to get the tire inflated. Now to get back to the truck. My water ran out about 15 minutes before the end. No big deal. Everything was going fine until just after the watershed sign, I pinchflated! &^%$#&^%#$!!!!!!!!! With no extra tube I tried to patch the snakebite with no luck. So now theres about 3 miles to hike down, with no water. Have you ever hiked 3 miles in cycling shoes? I wouldn't recommend it. So I didn't make it back in 3 1/2 hrs, it was more like 5 hrs. The last 1.5 hrs were without water. When I got back to the truck I actually had salt stains around my mouth. I also missed a friends birthday dinner. I took some pics on the way up. I also have the gps track, but google maps must have a limit as to how long(or # of points) because the track got cut off.

Name:  Picture 307..jpg
Views: 240
Size:  65.7 KBPName:  Picture 304..jpg
Views: 268
Size:  74.0 KB]Name:  Picture 300..jpg
Views: 294
Size:  110.4 KB
    Name:  Picture 305..jpg
Views: 233
Size:  57.6 KB
    Name:  Picture 303..jpg
Views: 299
Size:  82.2 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ah snap. Never fun but a good lesson every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Ah snap. Never fun but a good lesson every now and then.
    yeah I bought a new frame pump and some more tubes so I have one to keep in my bag.

Dang that sucks. I always have a bottle of slime with me, I hate taking off the tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolguy5700 View Post
    I also have the gps track, but google maps must have a limit as to how long(or # of points) because the track got cut off.
    by the way you've used the "maps" feature instead of the "savedmap". Here's a quick vid on that: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-a-bogley-post

I had trouble putting a long track into Google Maps and found this tutorial on the web (slightly edited):

Because Google Maps offers a KML export of a My Map, AND can*display remote KML files, it can exploit the two functionalities together*to get a slightly better display method.*

Import your long KML into a Google Map My Map. If it looks cutoff it may just be spread over two pages or more.

When viewing your My Map, right*click the 'View in Google Earth' link and copy the link to the*clipboard.

Open a new Google*Maps window, go to My Maps*and paste the URL copied earlier into the search box, and click the*Search Maps button.*

You should now get a display of your My Map - that doesn't page.* Then "Save to My Maps". The non-paging map will be in "Created by Others" however the URL can be used in Bogley.
    Gene

glad you made it back safe, I am hoping the weather stays good and after next week I can hit lewis followed by ben lomond!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    sounds like an adventure!
    Chere'

I hate to hear this kind of thing happen, but it makes me respect the people who get out and do it. Hats off to ya!
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.