Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BYU Football 2010

BYU Football 2010

I'm not a fan of two QB's.....

That never works except perhaps in special situations (Tebow his first year and Asiata/Louks at Utah) when teams know you are going to run.

My take is Neilson is currently the better QB but the coug's are afraid Heaps will bolt for anther team if they don't play him... thoughts? Does anyone other then Bronco think this will work?

Washington in 7 days.... Steve Sarkisian is doing a great job of leading the Huskies out of Purgatory. You know that whooping BYU would have to be special to him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

you are right, 2 qbs never works. and it won't for byu. nelson isn't that good.

however, heaps is going to be the much better quarterback. but he's never played a big game. coach has limited options. he's gonna ease heaps into the big scenarios, see how he does, and keep adjusting his philosophy.

i'd give him a few games, then there will be a true quarterback. this is the problem with having a great freshman qb, who has zero experience. you don't really know how they will perform. nelson is a known quantity, and he can handle the big game. so the only option is to start him, until heaps is also a known quantity.

sucks, and byu will lose some games because of it. but that's the nature of the beast with a young qb.

but it doesn't suck nearly as bad as their affiliation with the mwc.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    but it doesn't suck nearly as bad as their affiliation with the mwc.
    X2

Personally, I would have started Heaps. You cant blame a kid for being inexperienced. Give him a chance. I don't see the point in making him second string behind a mediocre Nelson if Heaps is just going to end up with the starting job down the road.

We'll see tho if this works.

Sept 4 cant come any sooner.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    -John Muir

I would start Heaps. The comminity is behind him and would have been patient. They wont be patient with a 2 QB system...already been there. I pick UW this week.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I pick UW this week.
    Tough call.... It's been over two years since UW last won a road game, but I'm a big Jake Locker fan and would like to see him do well after deciding to stay his senior year.

UW and Locker were kinda screwed out of a chance to win last time they played BYU. That was the game UW was penalized when Locker tossed the ball high in the air after a TD. At the time I thought it was a questionable call and I hated to see the game decided by an official because a player was happy he just made a great play.

My other thought is the sooner BYU gets hammered the sooner they will dump the lame two QB system. If they have some success with it they will probably drag it out a couple more games.

That call for celebration was made by a PAC 10 official was it not? Nice... wonder if he is still working the circuit.

I think the QB thing is buying time. I have followed the camp and from what everything I heard it sounds like the two were neck and neck. Given that, I may just lean to the young gun rather than Nelson. I take Bronco at his word that no clear leader emerged. So, I'd like to see Heaps and Nelson both in at the same time to really mess with the defense's head.
    Life is Good

Vegas has BYU as a 3 point favorite over UW. The over/under is 56.5.

56.5? ha. neither team has a defense i see...

Alright kitty's you're up..... this should be a real dog and cat fight....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Alright kitty's you're up.....
    It is funny you said that. I was just thinking how tough we all are in talking about our teams in the pre season and with all the conference realignment stuff going on there actually was plenty to talk about. Almost made baseball season enjoyable. Talk is now over and time to see what the team is really about. There are so many new players this year that I am really excited, at least the day before the game, to see how all this will shake out. Let's see, new and untested QB's, running backs, TE's, ILB's, D line.... etc. About the only part of the team that stays mostly intact is the O line. That is huge with a new QB. Part of me is quite nervous but I am mostly excited to see what this team is made of.

The rubber meets the road tomorrow.... I hope we fair at least as well as Utah. I expect a bunch of mistakes like in the Utah game.
    Life is Good

The part that strikes me the most about this game is it consists of two similar programs.... both have won a National Championship and enjoyed great success, and both have suffered recently through some lean times.... after tomorrows game one team will feel a lot better about being back on track.....

The Crowton years.... .... it amazes me that one guy can do so much damage to a successful program in so little time.....

BYU should send U-Dub's special teams a thank you card and a coupon for free ice cream....

I think it was included in the "How to Lose Every Big Game But Still Be A Heisman Hopeful" package that was sent to Jake Locker's apartment.

Watching the BYU game on DVR. Is Riley Nelson a QB or a RB? He is sure acting like a RB. Ugly football...

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    stop watching.
    Yep. This ain't cougar football.

Flipping between the Oregon at Tennessee game...that ones a blowout too.

I get the feeling that this is not going to be a great year to be a fan of the kitties.

Yeah, that was a disaster...what's worse is that if Nelson doesn't improve and Heaps leaves on a mission...we could have more than just 1 rough year.

Should be interesting to see what they due with their QB mess next week.

Hey kittie fans. Question: We KNOW Riley Nelson is a good RB...is he a good QB?