Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Football 2010

I think my beloved Utes are going to just plug along and end up bowling in Jan. Ok you can always dream.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25 View Post
    Did they have two punts blocked for TD's this week? I didn't see the game, but last week they had a punt blocked...didn't result in a TD though.
    This week they had one punt blocked that became a scoop and score for UNLV. Last week they had one punt blocked that (I thought) resulted in an indirect TD (could have been a field goal).... but it was points for Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I think my beloved Utes are going to just plug along and end up bowling in Jan. Ok you can always dream.
    Ute fans are getting spoiled... a 10-2 season will be seen by some as a bad year....

BUT.... if the Utes managed to pull the hat trick this year they would certainly belong in the National Championship game... they have some big games this year....

If Utah or TCU manages to go 12-0 I think they will jump Boise State in the polls. Boise was hurt bad this week when the Hokies lost to James Madison (a D2 school). That's like the Utes losing to Weber State.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This week they had one punt blocked that became a scoop and score for UNLV. Last week they had one punt blocked that (I thought) resulted in an indirect TD (could have been a field goal).... but it was points for Pitt.
    Just looked it up...resulted in a FG, I remembered that they got it with GREAT field position and only went backwards on the drive. Ended up with a 37 yard FG. Pitt should have had a scoop and score too...players played it "smart" though and just fell on it/tripped over each other :)

This year is starting to remind me of 2008. In the beginning of the season I didn't think they were as good as they ended up being. Not saying they will go undefeated, but I am not ruling it out. Another thing that is cool to see as a fan. Is the fact that I have never seen Utah's bench this deep. Cain would start on almost every team in the conference, besides maybe TCU. When Utah used to go to the bench they had guys like Lance Rice. Now they are stacked at several positions. If you have looked at their roster, they have some great talent waiting for their chance. You could see a bit of this when the backups got a chance in the 4th quarter. Although I admit, New Mexico is one of the worst teams in CFB.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    When Utah used to go to the bench they had guys like Lance Rice.
    FWIW: Lance Rice was 1st string. He started all 12 games for the Utes in 2001. He started 20 games total for Utah with a record of 12-8. I'm not saying he was a good QB and I was never a Rice fan, but to call him "the bench" is not right. Maybe the worst part of all that was Rice was the best option the Utes had in 2001.

In the beginning of the season I didn't think they were as good as they ended up being.
    I couldn't believe this team wasn't ranked when the season began. They had a lot of talent returning, and getting Asiata for anther year was huge. If its 4th and 1 I can't think of anther player in the country I'd rather see get the ball.

I guess I am remembering 02-03 when he came off the bench for mop up time. He was horrible even when he started: http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rice_lance00.html

As a cougar fan I'm definitely jealous of you guys have 2 good QB options to go to.

Hoping we made the move to Heaps permanently.

I guess I am remembering 02-03 when he came off the bench for mop up time. He was horrible even when he started: http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...e_lance00.html
    I believe the coaching staff was under pressure to play Rice, after all, the Rice family has donated truck loads of money to the U.... and I don't think it was a threat that the money would be cut off.... but just trying to make the cash cow happy to keep the funds flowing.... anyone who has ever coached from little league on up will understand the quandry.

Cain or Wynn?

Cain has looked awesome lately, making all the right reads and quickly.... What do you think the Utes will do?

Witt said in an on the field interview right after the NM game that Wynn is the starter. He said the same thing during the coaches show. It sounds like Wynn may be back this week. Cain is on a nice streak, but Wynn is the long term solution and I think he should get the snaps.

Pac-10 power Rankings Utes 3rd ahead of Stanford. http://bit.ly/dgiwCP

Oops. Forget to add link...it's now in the above post.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    interesting speaking about Cain as a QB

His passing efficiency rating is 204, which would make him No. 1 in the nation, except that he doesn't have the required number of starts (three-fourths of a team's games). Last week against New Mexico, he completed 20-of-23 passes, a team single-game accuracy record previously set by Johnson.

Did I hear Witt say he would use BOTH quarterbacks? Huh? Don't go there Utah....
    Life is Good

San Jose State.... YAWN!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    San Jose State.... YAWN!!!!!
    They beat SUU 16-11. They are averaging 11 points a game...high powered O!

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302610023

Just remember.... these are the games that always tripped up the "old" Utes. It used to drive me bat shit crazy.... they would knock off a ranked team on the road one week and lose to a nobody at home the next...

True, but that was the McBride days. Witt takes no shit and his teams are usually very well prepared. Utah has a damn good coach and I wouldn't trade him for many. He is bad to the bone.