Thread: My first mtn bike race

My first mtn bike race

So Mark M finally convinced me to do a race with him, and then I convinced Mark B to head up with me for the last of the Wednesday night races at Snowbasin.

I've been refusing the last few years because I hate climbing and I'm not fond of being slower than girls.

But it was pretty fun. I just joined the beginner class, planned on starting at the back and taking the trail for the first time. It was on the climb that I actually started to pass people (3 of them)

...ok one guy had his bike upside down changing a flat but that still counts.

There's a small rocky downhill switchback section in the middle of the climb that I came off the bike on but I recovered pretty good.

So I've passed 3 people on the climb (which is amazing) and I'm starting to feel like I can gain some ground now, because I can hold my own on the downhill. Right at about the crest of the uphill, my chain snaps.

And I didn't have my gear because I'm just planning on a 45 minute ride, nothing to drink, no tools, nothing. So I had to just cruise back down a dirt road with the chain around my shoulders.

But I still enjoyed myself, I'm looking forward to next season. And I won a shirt in the raffle.

Oh, and the girl ended up beating me because I took myself out of the race.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is awesome that you did a race ! It took me two years worth of mishaps before I was able to finish a race. Blown out seals in the fork and shocks, shredded tires because of a nail on the trail. Those standout in my mind. At the time there wasn't any downhill shops in town for replacement parts. I was paying for next day air ups shipping from California. Racing takes a huge toll on your bike. The only thing worse is probably riding the moab trails. When I come back from those rides, It seems like the bike is creaking and every bolt has loosened.

So THAT'S where my bike got it's creak

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    cool
    Chere'

That is sweet! I am planning on racing in that series next year and have been running the courses at basin 2-3 times a week, I want to hit the Basin bash next year and ride in the mt ogden 100k. tried to this year but things just didnt work out with my schedule. Nice job beech!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

thx. I'm definitely itching to do it again. My initial plan was just to say "I did it" but I actually enjoyed it.

Why didn't ya just coast the downhill and at least beat the girl in the race?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Well, at least two of you enjoyed it! I still hurt!
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

we need to get a team bogley for next year? Sounds like a couple are already doing it, I was following marks points on the blog, so what do ya say? some bogley jerseys and have some fun?

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I'll ride for team Bogley!
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    we need to get a team bogley for next year? Sounds like a couple are already doing it, I was following marks points on the blog, so what do ya say? some bogley jerseys and have some fun?
    I've been thinking about it for a while. I think bogley jerseys would be sweet. I've got no idea on the cost though, I'd guess around $80? We'd need some pretty hard commitments before we ordered though. But yes, that'd be way cool.

'Beach, you could talk to Mikey at UMB. He's been through the jersey design ordering process recently and could give you some good pointers. (801) 653-2689 utahmountainbiking.com.

Are we there yet?

Thanks Steve I met Mikey once at Lagoon. He was stuck on a ride.