Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paiute Trail September 17 thru 19

Paiute Trail September 17 thru 19

Well us vegas boys will be up to ride the Paiute Trail the third weekend in September. Lets get it set up so we get some more bogley peeps participating. Should be fun and I'm definately looking forward to some cooler temps.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Really? None of you want to come ride with us? We'll bring Vegas beer!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    We'll bring Vegas beer!
    That does sound awesome. My kid (Ride-On) has a limited entry hunt that starts that weekend (took 3 years to draw this tag) going to miss this one.

I have a family wedding....bummer.

Pussies. You guys will miss out big time! I'll take lots of pics to so you guys know what you missed.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

It's happening this weekend. Can't wait for the quakies, pines, and creek crossings! Looking forward to wet boots again. We're also going to try a new loop, should be fun.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

For future reference, what type of motorcycle and level of experience does one need to ride with you guys? I live in Saint George and have recently (a week ago) bought a 2006 Yamaha XT 225. Last time I was on a bike was 20 years ago, but I am in decent physical shape and I am a fast learner. Been exploring some of the dirt tracks in the Beaver Dam mountains west of town this past week and having a blast.

I rode last year and found them to be quite patient with my lack of ability/wrecking.
    I ride a Yamaha 450 but a smaller lighter bike would be nice. In fact I have been daydreaming of a YZ250 Yamaha for a year now, just for this kind of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal View Post
    I rode last year and found them to be quite patient with my lack of ability/wrecking.
    I ride a Yamaha 450 but a smaller lighter bike would be nice. In fact I have been daydreaming of a YZ250 Yamaha for a year now, just for this kind of riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal View Post
    We are patient and we take people riding with us all the time of various skills and you are most certainly welcome to tag along. Usually we have 4wheelers tagging along so there is lots of down time.

Don't let fourty underplay ya, he's good and only had a minor wreck in one of the harder sections. But it did do a number to his new bike. The smaller bikes are definately a plus in the paiute system. The trails we ride are tight and twisty and often loose, rocky, and steep. They are a total blast to ride with a 2 stroke. I would not want to ride ti with aything larger than a 450 that's for sure.

I've got some pictures of this past weekend. It was fun, great temps and perfect skies. There was one crappy thing though, for some reason there is some sort of trail maint going on at the 68 and 88 into Beaver. Usually that section is one of my favorties but this time the whole trail had been 'plowed' up and ruined. It looked like a bobcat graded the whole thing but since the trail is loose, and i mean loose, and there are no berms or hardpack it was very difficult to ride. I dumped my bike twice in tight downhill corners because the front tire would wash in all the torn up, graded stuff. Not sure why that was going on but luckily it was not like that on the 05 going back up or the 01 or 26. Also the area between the 05 and the 01 used to have a watery section below the dam and that has all been built up so no splashing!

Still it was a great trip and we had a blast.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Here are the prmoised pics. Enjoy!Name:  P1010018 (Large)..jpg
Views: 342
Size:  115.0 KBrName:  P1010022 (Large)..jpg
Views: 328
Size:  89.8 KBeName:  P1010008 (Large)..jpg
Views: 347
Size:  107.7 KB Name:  P1010002 (Large)..jpg
Views: 331
Size:  90.1 KBtName:  P1010020 (Large)..jpg
Views: 339
Size:  61.9 KBhName:  P1010003 (Large)..jpg
Views: 329
Size:  120.3 KBeName:  P1010010 (Large)..jpg
Views: 330
Size:  116.9 KB Name:  P1010011 (Large)..jpg
Views: 327
Size:  101.6 KBpName:  P1010017 (Large)..jpg
Views: 334
Size:  113.7 KBrName:  P1010013 (Large)..jpg
Views: 327
Size:  121.6 KBoName:  P1010023 (Large)..jpg
Views: 338
Size:  104.6 KBmName:  P1010007 (Large)..jpg
Views: 322
Size:  105.3 KBiName:  P1010004 (Large)..jpg
Views: 333
Size:  71.2 KBsName:  P1010014 (Large)..jpg
Views: 322
Size:  84.1 KBeName:  P1010006 (Large)..jpg
Views: 329
Size:  66.9 KBdName:  P1010005 (Large)..jpg
Views: 331
Size:  68.9 KB Name:  P1010019 (Large)..jpg
Views: 339
Size:  96.0 KBpName:  P1010009 (Large)..jpg
Views: 350
Size:  104.2 KBiName:  P1010012 (Large)..jpg
Views: 490
Size:  104.4 KBcName:  P1010016 (Large)..jpg
Views: 332
Size:  110.0 KBsName:  P1010015 (Large)..jpg
Views: 436
Size:  61.8 KB.Name:  P1010021 (Large)..jpg
Views: 360
Size:  84.9 KB
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Looks fun.
    You should have come!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I can't believe I didn't see this sooner. I could of gone. Looks like you had a good time.

Do you guys go from town to town at night or go back to one base camp?

We typically set up a absecamp just outside of Circleville or Koosharem. The bikes are pretty fast and can cover 120+ miles pretty easily so we just do big loops. You'll have to come on the next trip!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    The smaller bikes are definately a plus in the paiute system. The trails we ride are tight and twisty and often loose, rocky, and steep. They are a total blast to ride with a 2 stroke. I would not want to ride ti with aything larger than a 450 that's for sure.
    Are the 'main' trails fairly easy to ride? I'm looking at going down in Sept. on a 250 dual sport and haven't ridden much. We plan on doing some of the main loops. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kniephof View Post
    Are the 'main' trails fairly easy to ride? I'm looking at going down in Sept. on a 250 dual sport and haven't ridden much. We plan on doing some of the main loops. Thanks.
    The main loops. Especially the 01 are mostly dirt road, particularly on the east side. The west side has more two track. They can all be ridden with any kind of dirt bike, it's just that the smaller and lighter the dirt bike the more fun you will have. I'm pretty sure my DR650 would make it but it wouldn't be any near as much fun as the YZ250. tell me what your intended route is and I'll tell you where the harder sections will be. Or better yet post up an invite and I'm sure a couple of us can make it.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Wow...talk about a fast response. Thanks! My buddy who's planning the trip was thinking it was fairly easy on the 01. We might camp at Otter Creek and ride the 01 to Koosharem and then ride the 01 from Circleville up to...not sure how far up...I 70...or cut over to Marysvale. Need to take a look at mileages and see what type of vehicles we have in our group. We have a few ATVs that are maybes and a few old timers that might rent an ATV or UTV and join us. It'll be the first time for all of us. Since it's my buddy's shindig, I'm not sure how he feels about an open invite. =) But I'll run it by him and see what he thinks. (You probably wouldn't wanna ride the 01 with a bunch of slow pokes anyhow). I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by kniephof View Post
    Wow...talk about a fast response. Thanks! My buddy who's planning the trip was thinking it was fairly easy on the 01. We might camp at Otter Creek and ride the 01 to Koosharem and then ride the 01 from Circleville up to...not sure how far up...I 70...or cut over to Marysvale. Need to take a look at mileages and see what type of vehicles we have in our group. We have a few ATVs that are maybes and a few old timers that might rent an ATV or UTV and join us. It'll be the first time for all of us. Since it's my buddy's shindig, I'm not sure how he feels about an open invite. =) But I'll run it by him and see what he thinks. (You probably wouldn't wanna ride the 01 with a bunch of slow pokes anyhow). I'll keep you posted.
    With all the great places to camp, I'm not sure I would pick Otter creek. There are a few sections that are simply amazing and IMO must-do trails. On the west side they include the 01 from Circleville to I70. All of that is pretty basic (except for the switchbacks out of Circleville). I'm a big fan of the Beaver loop but it's a little bit more advanced.

On the east side from Otter creek reservoir I would take the 72 to the 01 and the 01 to the 89. Now at this point the more advanced guys can take the 53 to the 33 to the 01 into Koosharem. But the 33 is some of the gnarliest terrain up there (not that hard on a dirt bike). Or you can stay on the 01 to the 89 back to the 01 into Koosharem. The 89 (Anderson Dairy Trail) is THE premier trail up there. Definitely one of the best in the system.

Are you planning on riding and then camping along the trail? Or are you looking for loops from a camp spot? We typically camp just south of Circleville and this allows a 110 mile loop into beaver and a 120 mile loop into Koosharem. We ride with guys on 4wheelers too sometimes and these loops allow for plenty of down time as you wait for the slower 4wheelers.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Good information - thanks. We're not set on Otter Creek for camping. We like it because it's a decent location, has showers, it's good meeting spot for those that might be coming from out of town, it's reservable, etc. When you say "great places to camp", are you talking off the beaten path camping? Or campgrounds?

I looked at the map briefly. How bad are the switchbacks out of Circleville? What makes the 89 great? Scenery? If I was looking at it correctly, it was shorter trail that connected 2 different parts of the 01 near Koosharem...did I see/understand that correctly?

We are not planning on camping on the trail, although it would be cool. If it ends up being just a few dual sports, seems like it'd be a hassle to gear up (never done it). With ATVs along with us...might work out...? Anyhow, I think we wanted to try to hit the 2 main 01 loops (east and west).

We're still trying to figure out how to handle the ATVs if they come with us...since they can't jump back on the highways and zip back like the dual sports can. When you go with the ATVs do they just turn back and go the way they came...or they go to another trail head and have someone bring the trailer?

You can tell I'm a total rookie at this. Thanks for all you input...it's appreciated!