Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Night Needles Solo Backpack

Well, two weeks to go, so I started thinking about this thing again. On the last day I was looking at hiking from the CP1 campsite over and up Devils Pocket and continuing to the confluence overlook via Cyclone Canyon. Then I can just take the Confluence Overlook trail back to the road and road walk back to the Squaw Flat trailhead where my car will be.

I found some info on some nice looking rock art in Cyclone Canyon, but it looks like there is much more to see in that area. Has anyone heard of the "blue heron"? (something Google mentions, but then refuses to tell me where it is!) It seems maybe that the better known sites around that area are on the 4X4 roads. I'm most interested in the Barrier Canyon style, want to see as much as I can.

Next, is the whole trecking pole thing. I can't live without poles on uphill trails, but sometimes feel like a tool when I bring them on rocky/scrambling hikes. Anyone want to share their feelings on using poles in the needles. I'm considering leaving mine at home.

Oh, and Summit, you have to chime in here because I voted for your pic 4 times.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

that will be a very ambitious last day. could end up being over 15 miles depending on your exact route. and you won't find any water on it either. been there done that.

its up to you about the poles. i always tarp camp so the poles do double duty for me.

i will pm you on the barrier canyon stuff. never heard of the "blue heron" rockart site.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Maybe drop your pack at Devil's Kitchen and just carry water out to the confluence and back? I agree with Denaliguide that you're biting off a lot but then again maybe you're a stud and this is a normal day for you.

We used poles in our last Needles BP and I found them useful for balancing on the slickrock, but there will be times when you need your hands and have to put them down, so again hard to say what annoys you vs. helps you.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    Maybe drop your pack at Devil's Kitchen and just carry water out to the confluence and back? I agree with Denaliguide that you're biting off a lot but then again maybe you're a stud and this is a normal day for you.

Well, maybe I am and maybe I'm not, but that loop sounds like it might be just the ticket. Carrying my full pack all day was not the most attractive aspect of the route I had. Am I right in assuming I could easily negotiate the road from DK to EH at night if it came to that?

the road from devils kitchen to elephant hill by moonlight or headlamp would be no problem. it is very obvious. only one "y" junction. stay right. there is a shortcut that is half the distance though. would be interesting in the dark however.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Hey Swamp Thing, how'd the trip go? Gonna give us a trip report?

Hi peregrine, I left one but put it in the hiking/peak bagging forum by mistake. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...edles-Oct-2010.

I hope you enjoy it!

9. Likes oldno7 liked this post