Thread: Camping along the Mirror Lake Highway

Camping along the Mirror Lake Highway

What are the chances of finding a semi-decent spot in one of the campgrounds along the Mirror Lake Highway later on a Friday evening (and Labor Day weekend to boot...)?? Any suggestions for good camping spots? Are there primitive places to just pull over and throw a tent up?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Going to say...slim.

And yes.
    High clearance will help big time.

Once you get above the murdock basin road there are primitive sites all over the place.

I know that 2 weekends ago by friday evening there were people driving around in circles trying to find a place to camp for hours.. glad I as there early morning :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Dang, that's what I was afraid of....We will be driving south from Evanston if that makes any difference......Where exactly is Murdock Basin (closer to Kamas I assume....)? I've never actually driven this road, so pardon my naivet

The road to Murdock leaves the highway here

Many of the other roads are rough enough to keep the crowds out too, several of them below Murdock, closer to Kamas are good, I also know of at least one good one on the Evanston side of the pass. The key is making sure it's a rough road that requires high clearance 4WD. If you do, you should be fine.

ya Murdock is closer to Kamas -- honestly if you are not picky about your site and having neighbors you can find a spot for sure just west of bald mountain.. literally when you start coming down from the bald mountain overlook keep an eye out on the north side of the road and turn off at the large turnoff and then grab a spot anywhere basically :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"