Thread: Where to go on 1st backpack trip w/ 9 year old boy

Where to go on 1st backpack trip w/ 9 year old boy

My son is a trooper, but I want him to have a great experience on his 1st bp trip. Would love to go to uintas and fish somewhere and then camp.

Leave American Fork, Friday night @ 4:00 ish is the plan.
    September 10th is the date. 1 night.
    So where do we go? I am a little concerned about the upcoming hunts and tromping through the woods with my boy.

So lets hear it, what is the bp for dummies 1st place winner that fits the bill?

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If it were me I would probably hit one or more of the lakes on the Clyde Lake loop from the Crystal Lake trailhead. Good chance you'll have one all to yourself despite the low mileage and the fishing is good.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    If it were me I would probably hit one or more of the lakes on the Clyde Lake loop from the Crystal Lake trailhead. Good chance you'll have one all to yourself despite the low mileage and the fishing is good.
    I second that one.
    We day hiked it last month and the entire hike we regretted not backpacking http://summit42.com/wp/uintas-7-7-2010.

I would have to agree with the prev. post, just got done w/ that loop. Went to Wall Lake then to Clyde. We went Friday morning and came back Sunday. We stayed the first night at Cylde, then it got a little busy for my taste so we went to Little Hidden Lake. We were the only ones there. We hiked out on Sunday following the trail by Clyde to Cliff. My 8 year old did great after I unloaded pretty much everyting exept his sleeping pad. hereis a link to some pictures http://picasaweb.google.com/10119977...Gipdz-_P2HyQE#

We are headed up there Saturday and will spend Saturday night somewhere on the trail. I am 1/2 tempted to take the 9 & 5 year old. The 5 year old is a pretty good trooper and could carry his sleeping bag but probably nothing else. The 9 year old can take his bag & mattress.

Few quick questions.

We plan to fish and hopefully have a fish dinner. Will pack food just in case no fish.
    With this in mind here is what I am taking for fish. A few jakes and a few blue foxs. Do I need anything else??? Flies and clear water bobber? Tin foil, butter, lemon pepper.
    What is good to go with the fish food wise? Some bread???

Since we will need to cook, do you just find an established pit and gather wood???
    Since we are cooking fish in the mountains do we need to worry about bears or anything else? I would plan on cooking as far away as possible from camp. Hopefully 1/4 mile if possible.

List
    2 man backpack N face tent and fly.
    Tyvek groundcloth
    Binocs
    20 degree bags
    speed goat air mattresses
    flashlight headlamp
    lighter
    some paper for fire starting
    filet knife
    Compass
    GPS
    Topo map of area
    Hats for everyone
    A new Camera!!!!!!

We will probably hit the trail @ 5:00 Saturday night. Late start but thats the best I think we can do.

I am assuming mosquitos are gone for the year so no bug spray.

What are we going to forget and wish we had taken?? This is my 1st backpack with my boys. We have done it w/ Scouts but they are older and are pretty easily entertained and a bit more responsible.

dont get carried away with the bear danger. you aren't in alaska. although it is a good idea to cook away from camp, 1/4 mile is about 4 times as far from camp as i go even in alaska. always use an established campsite and fire pit if one is available. collect only dead and down wood.

i alway take one of those noodle or "rice a roni" type packets to have along with my fish. there are many varieties so choose what you like. or just good old mac and cheese. kids always love that.

lemon pepper and butter will be perfect on the fish. if you are putting it right on the coals, always double wrap in tinfoil. should't take but 5 minutes a side at the most. remember fish doesn't take long to cook. it's done at 140 degrees. maybe a dash of onion powder or a pinch of garlic. just mix what you need and put it in a ziploc. saves carrying several jars of spices.

probably a book for the boy. they get bored with fishing pretty fast. maybe a deck of cards and play a game with him in the tent? whatever other toys he likes. small trucks are good.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I agree on the bear advice. In the Uintas I don't really take any precautions, I'm actually more worried about rodents when it comes to keeping a clean camp. The bears don't come up much higher than 9500' in the backcountry there. There's nothing for them to forage at that elevation.

I agree on the bear advice. In the Uintas I don't really take any precautions, I'm actually more worried about rodents when it comes to keeping a clean camp. The bears don't come up much higher than 9500' in the backcountry there. There's nothing for them to forage at that elevation.
    FYI, I have seen them above 10,000 ft before. If a bear is hungry enough, they will seek it out. But for the most part, you really do not have to worry about bears out in the Uintas. It is not like it was in Alaska. The trees in Denali are too small to hang your food, so you use a BRFC. I always hang my food, squirrels, chipmonks and camp raiders (damn birds) among other things besides bears are a good reason to hang your food out there. Keep all smells out of your tent. And I usually put my tent away from the fire pit cook area. Hot coals burn holes in tents.

As far as the fish go, we tried a different route for our last trip out there this season, since butter does not keep well in the backcountry. We used olive oil, some onion, salt and pepper and a bit of a small lemon that I packed in. I have to say no butter from now on. Our fish was so easy to get the whole skeleton out of, one pull and it was all meat. And so much more juicy than when using butter. I usually do about 3-5 min a side wrapped in tinfoil, on a bed of coals in the fire not directly in the flames.

Dont forget your TP. And hand sanitizer is your friend. Have fun!

Thanks guys, I had not thought about hand sanitizer. Packing up now. I will sleep better knowing bears are not a real concern. We will try the Olive Oil, sound YUMMY!!!!! Hope we catch some fish!!!!!!!!!!!

Also looks like we are not in any real threat of freezing tonight. MAN its warm out...... Winds from the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    FYI, I have seen them above 10,000 ft before. If a bear is hungry enough, they will seek it out.
    Always possible but far from likely. I ran into a forest ranger in the Uintas who told me not to worry over 9500' unless I'm in an organized campground where bears have learned to find food there. Given that rangers are usually over-dramatic of the risks that made me feel pretty good.

Always possible but far from likely. I ran into a forest ranger in the Uintas who told me not to worry over 9500' unless I'm in an organized campground where bears have learned to find food there. Given that rangers are usually over-dramatic of the risks that made me feel pretty good.
    Yeah I have a friend who works at the DWR. He says you would most likely see them in the drainage's and parks near Flaming Gorge. And in the last couple of years, there have been Grizzly Sightings by Bear Lake and Manti- La-Sals. The Black Bear in the Uintas are so used to human food smells in the east part of the range, they can cause a few problems. Closer to Hwy 150, probably not as likely to see one above 10,000 ft. But if there is one thing I have learned about Bear in all my travels is, the only thing predictable about a Bear is that they are unpredictable.

I would probably fear more from a Moose this time of year. If you are solo hiking, you would be surprised at the population size of Cougars we have in the Wasatch and Uintas. Good to have a heads up on that madness. Those kitties are mean business.

girzzly in the la sal's? i would find that very hard to believe. probably just a very brown colored black bear.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    girzzly in the la sal's? i would find that very hard to believe. probably just a very brown colored black bear.
    pretty much the case with a grizzly anywhere in utah, right?

And in the last couple of years, there have been Grizzly Sightings by Bear Lake and Manti- La-Sals.
    If by the last couple of years, you mean 1923 (the last known grizzly sighting in Utah).

Someone on Bogley said that they heard that there were some reports of grizzlies around the Bear River Mountains, but it sounds like just an uncomfirmed rumor.

When you say Manti-La Sals, which area are you refering to?

The Manti LaSal National Forest covers many mountain ranges withing the state of Utah, from the area around Nephi to the Abajo Mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    The DWR has investigated these reports. I can only comment on what I have been told. You can take it up with them on the validity.

We've got Grizzlies all over California...

...on the state flag, that is.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"