Thread: Amethyst Basin- High Uinta Wilderness- Aug 2010

Amethyst Basin- High Uinta Wilderness- Aug 2010

This is a place I have wanted to visit for quite some time. After a late deployment, with half of our crew leaving even later than we did, we finally hit the trail. We made good pace to the fork and headed up. After a very steep climb, we made it to the top meadow just in time to pull out the headlamps and bushwhack it up to Toomset to camp. We pitched camp, made dinner, and enjoyed a few beverages before turning in. Morning brought us a pleasant surprise, no skeeters, and we got to see for the first time where we were. I had forgotten my fishing pole at home (everyone forgot something on this trip), so I improvised and decided to try rigging a trekking pole with a fly and a bubble. After everyone telling me that I would not catch anything, I made them all eat their words as I landed a nice 12" Cutthroat. Survivorman would have been proud. After much jubilation that I would not get skunked on this trip, we packed up the day goods to head up to Ostler Lake. This place is just gorgeous and I see why photographers like it. We spent hours up there just wondering around, fishing and taking a ton of pictures. Everyone landed dinner and dusk was setting in, so we meandered back to Toomset for a fish cookout. We had a great dinner, including smores for everyone compliments of yours truly. We had the ipod jamming some tunes as the moon came out overhead and we had a nice fire. Me and Chris decided to head for the meadow for some night photos, and had a lot of fun doing so. About 2:45 AM, we decided it was time to turn in. Day 3 awoke us all with violent winds pushing over the ridge. After our coffee, it calmed a bit and we hung out at Toomset as we packed and got ready to go. We made good time to the falls, and that is when the thunderstorm decided to open up on us. Lightning and heavy rains fell and we deployed the rain gear in rapid fashion. A soggy walk to the car, with the storm passing and us getting to sort of dry out before the long haul back to civilization. A great trip, lots of adventure and basically what I do this for- one word- fun.
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Leaving

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fishing on a trekking pole?! AWESOME! Nice pics too, brings back fond memories of Toomset.

great TR. middle basin is next on my uinta hitlist. looks awesom

You killed it Nebz!

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Fishing on a trekking pole?!
    Yeah I had a packing stupidity moment. I left my rod on a bench in my garage whilst packing something else. Wont happen again I assure you.

Got about 20 ft of line from Chris, rigged it up on the end of my trekking pole, just like my set up. Bubble, split shot and a fly on the end. Was just tossing it out as far as I could, saw that guy come hit it, set the hook and pulled it in by hand. For sure a first for me, and it had the crew laughing and amazed that it really worked. I have to admit, I let out a holler or two when I landed that guy, but at least I would not have starved if that was a survival situation.