Thread: Rate the scrambling difficulty on Twin Peaks

Rate the scrambling difficulty on Twin Peaks

I found this definition of scrambling. There were actually three levels, but the third was using ropes--almost rock climbing. So, if those of you who have been there would tell me if its 1 or 2 in this definition, or some combination, that would really help me out in making my decision to try or to wait for another time to try. Here are the definitions:

Grade 1 scrambles are usually pretty straightforward with relatively little exposure to danger. More often than not, you can pick your way around tricky areas and it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i would say that your definition of grade 1 sounds more like class 2 to me. the same with your grade 2 , it sounds more like class 3. to me class 1 or grade one is basically a trail and does not involve scrambling at all.

Difficulty Rating System
    Hiking and Climbing
    The routes on 14ers.com have been given a difficulty rating or "Class". I am using a rating system that has been in use in the United States for over 75 years. The system contains classes ranging from 1 (easy) to 5 (difficult). I chose Green Blue Black color codes when showing route lines on maps and photos.

Here’s a brief description of the Class ratings:

Hiking

Class 1
    Easy hiking - usually on a good trail.

Class 2 More difficult hiking that may be off-trail. You may also have to put your hands down occasionally to keep your balance. May include easy snow climbs or hiking on talus/scree.

Climbing

Class 3
    Scrambling or un-roped climbing. You must use your hands most of the time to hold the terrain or find your route. This may be caused by a combination of steepness and extreme terrain (large rocks or steep snow). Some Class 3 routes are better done with rope.

Class 4 Climbing. Rope is often used on Class 4 routes because falls can be fatal. The terrain is often steep and dangerous. Some routes can be done without rope because the terrain is stable.

Class 5 Technical climbing. The climbing involves the use of rope and belaying. Rock climbing is Class 5. Note: In the 1950s, the Class 5 portion of this ranking system was expanded to include a decimal at the end of the ranking to further define the difficulties of rock climbing. This is called the Yosemite Decimal System (YDS). The decimal notations range from 5.1 (easiest) to 5.14 (most difficult). Recently, the rankings of 5.10 through 5.14 were expanded to include an "a", "b", "c" or "d" after the decimal (Example: 5.12a) to provide further details of the ranking. None of the routes described on 14ers.com are Class 5, so I will not go into detail of the expanded decimal system.

Keep in mind that Class 1 through Class 4 rankings are not very descriptive and do not have any further breakdowns like Class 5. Class 2 is very general and includes a wide range of hiking. At times, Class 2 routes may include dangerous terrain (exposure, loose rock, steep scree, etc.). Just because a route is ranked Class 2, does not mean it is safe or easy. The key to Class 3 is that you are almost always using your hands to move up through the steep terrain (snow or rock). In some cases, I may describe a route as "Difficult Class 2", or "Easy Class 3" to provide more detail.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I'm not familiar with the grading system you are talking about, but using the class/YDS system (pasted above), the ratings are below:

Broads Fork Twin Peaks is considered an easy class 3 (via the standard Broads Fork route), if that's the Twin Peaks you are refering to.

If you are referring to American Fork Twin Peaks, it's class 3 from Hidden Peak, or class 2 from Gad Valley (or some routes from White Pine).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I'm not familiar with the grading system you are talking about, but using the class/YDS system (pasted above), the ratings are below:

Broads Fork Twin Peaks is considered an easy class 3 (via the standard Broads Fork route), if that's the Twin Peaks you are refering to.

If you are referring to American Fork Twin Peaks, it's class 3 from Hidden Peak, or class 2 from Gad Valley (or some routes from White Pine).
    Yeah, sorry. The Broad's Fork route to the Twins in SL County is what I'm referring to.

I hiked it 2 years ago and from what I remember I think I would say class 3.