Thread: Flagstaff/Phoenix Trails

Flagstaff/Phoenix Trails

Has anyone done any riding in the Phoenix/Flagstaff area? I am going there in a week or so and am trying to find some trails to ride in both places. I'll be riding a 4" XC bike and would like to find some intermediate/advanced trails. So far I've found the National trail in Phoenix, and the Schultz trail in Flagstaff. Any other trails you recommend or places to see? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

In Phoenix, gotta hit up National! If you're in really good shape and head out early enough you can start going up National and ride it for as long as you like. If you want something slightly easier but just as fun you can go up Mormon and it'll hook back up with National. Keep riding up National, past the rock waterfall and as far as the parking lot and head back down. If Mormon was too easy on the way up, hit up National on the way down and you'll be in for a lot more technical ride. Still all rideable, but a little more advanced.

If you have time while heading up to Flagstaff, try and ride something in Sedona. Nice easy scenic rides and super tacky dirt make for a lot of fun. If you go there, stop at the Bike and Bean and they'll point you in the right direction for some good trails for however much time you have free.

National is good, even though the difficult technical spots (ie The Waterfall) humbled me. Tons of trails all over South Mountain. Desert Classic is fun, fast XC trail with enough tech to keep it interesting.

McDowell Competitive Loops is a fun network of trails, at least 1/2 day worth.

Pass Mtn is another burly trail like National. The Usery area there has a network of fun trails.

Did a fun loop in the Sonoran reserve - http://kanyonkris.blogspot.com/2009/...oran-ride.html

Trail 100 is supposed to be good, but I haven't done it yet.

This website has lots of info on AZ trails - http://mtbikeaz.com/

Phoenix will probably be too hot, unless you ride early in the mornings. Schultz Trail in Flag is great (but not too technical), but there's plenty of other options off of Schultz (Little Bear, Rocfky Ridge, etc.) The full loop around the Schultz Pass area is a blast. 25+ miles with a mix of fast and tight twisty technical singletrack (if you take the social trails just to the north of the Pipeline trail). Also check out the Fort Valley Trail system, just to the west of Schultz Pass area. Lots of trails (many not on the maps). Some are fast and smooth and others are techy as hell. I was there in late May riding and had a blast. We rode over 90 miles in three days and almost all of it was on singletrack. However, they had a big fire in the Schultz Pass area in June and I'm not sure of the open or closed status for many of the trails around Schultz Pass. Finally, buy a good map of the Flag trails (but don't buy Cosmic Ray's book, as he does provide good descriptions of the trails, but his hand-drawn maps are crap).