Thread: Moab Vacation - Help me out, please

Moab Vacation - Help me out, please

We've got friends coming in for their annual UT fix and I want to take them to Moab.
    This will be mid-October and we're going to do Fiery Furnace (Ranger led), a few of the Jeep trails and some of Needles. What I need to know:

Place to stay in Moab, not looking for cheap, neccesarily? We've stayed at Red Cliffs before but it's too far from town

Is the drive from Moab to Needles too far for day trips? Should we switch to Monticello for a day or two? Place to stay Monticello?

Just tell me what you'd recommend for us to do. We've been through Arches, Island in the Sky and Dead Horse Pt, this time we're bringing the Jeep to get off road a bit.

TIA,
    Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It is a bit of a drive to the Needles from Moab, maybe an hour and a half. Moab definitely has more to offer than Monticello, and it's still 40 minutes to the Needles from Monticello. Are you going to hike or Jeep in the Needles?

Abby and I will be in that neck of the rocks Oct. 17-24, so if you are there then, give us a shout and we'll hook up for dinner at Moab Brewery or something.

Have you been to Eye of the Whale Arch in Arches, Onion Creek, or out to False Kiva in Canyonlands?

If you are looking for nice places to stay I would pick Best Western Canyonlands some others that are nice are Archway or the new Hampton Inn.
    We do Needles-Elephant Hill-Joint Hike back to town in one day regularly. Did it in June with 4 rentals and a ton of Scouts. If you'll get out of Moab around 7-8 you'll be fine. For those that are new to jeeping Elephant hill is hard to beat. Awesome trip. Make sure you go out and do the joint hike. That is a must. If you want to do both the Joint hike and see the confluence you will really need to motor. We usually skip the confluence. We always have kids and they love the joints more then looking over the edge.

Mark

Thanks guys, starting my list of Things to Do. We'll be there the same week, Richard, so dinner sounds good.

I'll check out those motels, Mark, thanks.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

if you've not been to fisher towers it's a must-see if you're in moab. sunset time can be really nice there

Don't forget Gemini Bridges, Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands North

Looking Glass Arch is just a little south of Moab a little dirt road and not much of a hike for a cool up close and personal arch
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Fisher Towers / Onion Creek would make for an awesome day.

False Kiva is still my favorite spot out there - PM me if you would like the GPS cords.

great photo, summit

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    great photo, summit
    Thanks Stefan

I had a 20x30 of this one hanging in my living room for a week or so and I really miss it.

Thanks for the help, booked into the Best Western, reservations made for Fiery Furnace.

Great shot Bill, I'll be sending you a PM. I've got the Moab Off Road driving book and a couple of other books on the area, I'll start making a "to do" list.

Haven't been to Onion Creek but did go to Fisher Towers for Sunset.

Win

Dead Horse Pt, before the storm hit us:

Another great scenic drive in Moab is right there in the bottom of your picture. Leave Moab head out the potash road towards Canyonlands. Turn left on the White Rim Trail, head out to Musselman Arch or as far as you want to go. Head back and go up the Shafer trail and then back to town. Not really a jeep trail but there is nowhere as scenic.

Mark

If you Google: Moab gps coords
    you will easily get info and ideas for where you might want to take that jeep