Thread: Short Camping Trip Suggestions

Short Camping Trip Suggestions

I need some ideas of a place I can go to locally. Maybe 30-60 minute drive from South Jordan, UT. I want to take my boys camping, but I don't have much time. We will leave Friday afternoon and need to be back by 10 AM on Saturday...ouch. Perhaps up AF canyon or one of the cottonwood canyons? I may not have time to get a reservation and everything might be full in the reserve stuff. I would prefer the mtns...

I just see us setting up a tent somewhere, having a campfire, cooking tinfoil dinners, smores and maybe exploring something Friday evening before dinner. Saturday it will be a quick breakfast, tear down and get back home. My boys are 7 & 4.

Thanks in advance!

acca

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

AF canyon + weekend = madhouse
    drive a little over an hour and go to the Uintas

Problem solved

albion basin is a lovely place this time of year. camping at high elevation, majestic devils castle looming over, flowers everywhere, and lots of trails to walk if you only have a short bit of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    AF canyon + weekend = madhouse
    drive a little over an hour and go to the Uintas

Problem solved
    I couldnt agree more. We have tried to take a few trips up the closer canyons this summer and they are ALWAYS packed, and unless you get up there real early, it will take a while to find a spot. On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago, we went to the Uintahs, and from leaving my friends house in Orem, it took us 2 hours to get there, find a sweet spot with tons of scenery and privacy, and get camp set up.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

What are a couple options in the Uintas that are the closest?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    What are a couple options in the Uintas that are the closest?
    Will you be driving something that is high clearance/4WD?

Anything beyond here is good

I would go to Cataract Gorge 40.623018,-110.890939.. road is pretty rough so you would need clearance but its pretty awesome down there.

Yep, I have a couple 4x4 Toyota's so access isn't a prob. Time will be though. Keep the suggestions flowing. Going to look into your idea Summit. Tks!

Anything beyond here is good

I would go to Cataract Gorge 40.623018,-110.890939.. road is pretty rough so you would need clearance but its pretty awesome down there.
    That does look cool and it's a maybe. It's just a long way for one night and an early return. How long is it off the dirt road?

Why not look west? Most people head up Big & Little Cottonwood canyons, AF canyon, or to the Uintas.

Try somewhere different. Butterfield Canyon, down by Utah Lake, out to Ophir Canyon mining area.

Diamond Fork Canyon would be about an hour or so, and there are hot springs... But then again a Friday night with kids would probably not be the best time to go there...
    Last edited by uintahiker; 08-25-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: adding more info

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    That does look cool and it's a maybe. It's just a long way for one night and an early return. How long is it off the dirt road?
    Dont be a wuss.
    Leave 30min early or stay up 30min later and you have made up for the extended drive :) The dirt road is pretty rough and takes maybe 30min to drive the entire way, some pretty cool little waterfalls off the side of the road and you descend down to the gorge.

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    Why not look west? Most people head up Big & Little Cottonwood canyons, AF canyon, or to the Uintas.

Try somewhere different. Butterfield Canyon, down by Utah Lake, out to Ophir Canyon mining area.

Diamond Fork Canyon would be about an hour or so, and there are hot springs... But then again a Friday night with kids would probably not be the best time to go there...
    well you can't camp up Butterfield canyon but if you go up and then come back down on the other side is Middle canyon and there should be a lot of decent places to camp there :).. Ophir canyon has some nice camping too..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

summit, this photo is outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    summit, this photo is outstanding
    It is! I just discovered his website and spent about an hour there! Very cool photos.

Big Cottonwood you can camp at the Spruces or Redman. Albion Basin will be a junkshow on the weekends. Really, any camp ground last minute with out a reservation is a crap shoot.

You are going to have to deal with traffic on a Friday to get to the Uintas. I would think that would almost be a waste for such a limited time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    You are going to have to deal with traffic on a Friday to get to the Uintas. I would think that would almost be a waste for such a limited time frame.
    I've never had traffic problems between SLC and Kamas, any day of the week, unless there's a wreck and I work commute that way every day. Worst thing is a slow ass camper heading up the mirror lake highway but thats over pretty quick, otherwise there are ample passing opportunities. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I've never had traffic problems between SLC and Kamas, any day of the week, unless there's a wreck and I work commute that way every day. Worst thing is a slow ass camper heading up the mirror lake highway but thats over pretty quick, otherwise there are ample passing opportunities. Just my 2 cents.
    Oh I have, Parleys can be the shits some days, especially on a Friday when everyone is trying to get out of town. ibenick, you have just been lucky. Knock on wood buddy.

Hey Acca,
    Still waiting on a TR from your camping trip! Where did you end up going?

yeah... wtf.