Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best hikes in northern Utah

Best hikes in northern Utah

I'm writing an article which I'm calling "Bucket List: five hikes in northern Utah you must take before you die." Well, I've got my own ideas, but I'd like some suggestions--maybe there are some I haven't thought of. Of course, I'm not saying these are necessarily the best hikes--but there are reasons that make them must hikes, in my mind. Kings Peak, and Timp are going to be two of them for sure. So, anything you'd like to suggest and give reasons for, I'm interested.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kings and Timp are great.. I would say Deseret peak - its prominence is one big reason.. the vistas out over the desert fill in all of the rest - do you need more :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    Kings and Timp are great.. I would say Deseret peak - its prominence is one big reason.. the vistas out over the desert fill in all of the rest - do you need more :)
    Good suggestion. It's one I haven't personally done yet. It's been on my list though.

Lone Peak has gotta be there. It belongs because of its pure torturous nature and un matched ruggedness and remoteness sitting right above the valley.

I will be interested to see the list as when I think of hikes I think of peaks, but I bet there are plenty of awesome hikes that dont end up on a peak.

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    Lone Peak has gotta be there. It belongs because of its pure torturous nature and un matched ruggedness and remoteness sitting right above the valley.

I will be interested to see the list as when I think of hikes I think of peaks, but I bet there are plenty of awesome hikes that dont end up on a peak.
    Another that is on my "to do" list. I wanted to get it done this summer, but had shoulder surgery instead, which limited, but didn't end my hiking. I'm doing Twins this week. And I agree. There are many hikes that are awesome that don't end up at a peak. Red Castle, for example, and Lake Blanche.

Blog Entries
    Mt. Olympus is one I would consider.

But Timp for sure, belongs there.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Mt. Olympus is one I would consider.

But Timp for sure, belongs there.
    Thanks, jman. I'm considering Olympus. Olympus ain't the most scenic, but it's a must as far as climbing a SL Valley landmark, in my opinion, and the view is great. Maybe I'll make it 10 hikes instead of 5.

Yeah Timp's gotta be on the list. Just did it Saturday and don't know that I'll be anxious to do it again right away. I found it a difficult trek from the Aspen Grove side but it's off the list now. It's a little easier if you camp close to the base of Timp and break up the hike but packing all your gear up the 28 or so switchbacks is a workout.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    I'm considering Olympus. Olympus ain't the most scenic, but it's a must as far as climbing a SL Valley landmark, in my opinion, and the view is great.
    sooo ... if i do olympus i usually spend the night up there. there are few places i'd rather be to watch the sunset

I 'd add the Pfeifferhorn and Mt Lovenia in the Uintas. The Later isn't a well known one but It is my favorite Uinta peak so far.

Alexander Basin to Gobblers Knob. Here is me at the top:

Name:  n623034455_1231455_.jpg
Views: 2810
Size:  37.5 KB

Some of my favs:

Lone Peak
    Timp
    Lake Blanche
    Kings Peak
    Sunset Peak via Lake Mary, Martha, and Catherine.
    Red Castle via Bald Mountain
    Pfeiferhorn via Red Pine Lake or just the hike to Red Pine Lake
    Ryder & McPheters Lakes

Don't include Olympus. Yeah- it's a valley landmark, but it's not a great hike. I still don't understand how so many people can get "lost" up there.
    Dispatch: Can you see lights below you?
    "lost" hiker: Yeah, they're right down there.
    D: Just hike downhill until you get to the lights, then hitchhike back to your car.
    LH: Oh. Ok.
    D: Call us next time when you have a real emergency. And hike safely!

Frary Peak is a good hike. The top of an island in the middle of a lake in the desert. Yeah!

Blog Entries
    I disagree, include Olympus.

Frary peak is only "ok" when it's in the spring. There are no trees that entire hike and it's kinda boring. But on the other hand....the view on top is good.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    Don't include Olympus. Yeah- it's a valley landmark, but it's not a great hike. I still don't understand how so many people can get "lost" up there.
    Dispatch: Can you see lights below you?
    "lost" hiker: Yeah, they're right down there.
    D: Just hike downhill until you get to the lights, then hitchhike back to your car.
    LH: Oh. Ok.
    D: Call us next time when you have a real emergency. And hike safely!
    I've thought the same thing. Gosh, the first time I hiked it, my friend and I thought the trail followed the stream instead of crossing the stream. We went up through that middle section, between the two peaks, and ended up having to edge our way along a six-inch ledge for 30 feet or so, did a bunch of scary scrambling, and finally made it to the top. So, I guess we were "lost" as far as the trail went. But yeah I totally agree with you--how could you get lost as to where the road is and the city below?

Timp is certainly one of the best. Another I really like for the views is Ben Lomond from North Ogden Divide. The first several miles of switchbacks are a slog but from there on the views are outstanding. It isn't a difficult hike just fairly long with great views of Ogden Valley and the Wasatch Front. If one is a glutton for punishment it can be extended north to Willard Peak.
    RP

Up Diamond Fork to the hot springs is pretty nice. Short, but the springs with the waterfall sure are cool.

Timp from Timpoonke is much better then Timp from Aspen Groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Timp from Timpoonke is much better then Timp from Aspen Groove.
    Why is that? I've never done either but I've been told Aspen Grove is better, assuming you don't mind a shorter, steeper ascent.