Thread: Bear Canyon, Coconino NF

Bear Canyon, Coconino NF

My first weekend in the Phx area I got a great introduction to the Arizona outdoors. Kayaking the Salt River and dropping into 3 canyons Christopher Creek, Sundance, and Bear. I might post the other canyons, but for now here is Bear. There were only three raps and they were all pretty short the longest being 40'. But is was one of the most beautiful canyons I have ever been in hope you guys enjoy the pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images                       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What's the Canyon Register all about? Is that some AZ thing?

Nice looking canyon.

Wow that was unexpected?! I respect all you opinions and commentary, but with the internet things have really changed as far as access to information on canyoneering techniques and beta I am glade there are people out there who have published books and websites that allow me to find new and great adventures, but sad at the same time to see people that do not follow the guidelines of canyon ethics. Thanks Rich for the answers on the canyon register. If you guys want to see more canyon pics from Arizona let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by bretoyce View Post
    Wow that was unexpected?! I respect all you opinions and commentary, but with the internet things have really changed as far as access to information on canyoneering techniques and beta I am glade there are people out there who have published books and websites that allow me to find new and great adventures, but sad at the same time to see people that do not follow the guidelines of canyon ethics. Thanks Rich for the answers on the canyon register. If you guys want to see more canyon pics from Arizona let me know.
    Great photos! That's really a beautiful looking canyon. I really have to get down to the Mogollon Rim/West Clear Creek area sometime. Yeah, definitely post some more!

As far as public beta published and posted on canyons, I have to say I am quite in favor of it. This way we can all see new canyons without having to be friends with those in the know. I agree with Shane, that in general, this spreads out the use.

Nat

Bretyoce, I'm with you! Great pictures, I'd love to see more!

The more beta the better. As a relative newcomer to the sport, I wouldn't know where to go if not for published beta. Most canyoneers I have met are good people, but I've also met some who think they are the best canyoneers who ever existed, and we should be grateful peasants for being in their presence.

I understand the desire to keep canyons to oneself, but if you really want to have a successful sport, and you really want people to protect the canyons, people need to know about it. Before I started canyoneering, I wouldn't have known or cared about bolting ethics, use trails, social/environmental impact, permits, etc. Now that I have first-hand experience, I care a great deal!

How far from Phoenix is this area? I'm down there occasionally for work. I could easily adjust my work schedule so I could be there over a weekend to do some romping around - I never really thought Phoenix had much to offer for outdoor activities other than hiking to the top of a 900 foot pile of talus (referred to as a mountain down there, it seems) or some great golf (but I don't golf).

Although the pipe-bomb disguised as a canyon register seems odd. Unless the pipe-bomb container also contained something helpful (like beta, candy, money or something) I'd side with Shane on the "trash" side of things.

It's an interesting looking canyon with all the green stuff growing all over it. The pothole water actually looks tasty too.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

Bear is about an hour and a half from North of Phoenix. The good thing about its location is there are 7 canyons basically in the same area, plus there are others that are closer to Flagstaff. That is just looking a Todd Martin's book, I would start by checking out that book. There are also other books Canyoneering Arizona by Tyler Williams that has some Technical canyons, but the majority of them are non-Tec. There are also the books by Michael R. Kelsey that cover some of the Lake Powell area. I might start putting some surprises in those pvc containers that's not a bad idea hahaha!

We were in that area in July. Loved Meadow Canyon with the long swims back upstream. Naturaly we had gear purchased from Rich Carlson and Tom Jones. We plan to do more around the mogollon rim in July of next year. Great adventures there.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/PaulFrnS...earCampVerdeAZ#
    Paul French
    pfrench.net

Nice pics bretoyce. I was in AZ with paul4886, the canyons we did were spectacular, worth the price of 'strenuous' exits for the length of the meat of the canyons. What was getting to, and exiting from, like from the routes you did?

I need to get out there and do some more canyons I am planning on doing some this weekend. Meadow Canyon looks fun as well nice pics! I think I will be heading toward the Globe area?! Both the exits for Bear and Sundance were at the same trail head. It the hike out kind of reminded me of the first part of the MIA. As far as the starts they were very simple to find, grated I had partners who had been there multiple times before. But on one side of the hill was bear and on the other was Sundance so pretty easy to find.

Arizona Canyoneering!? Awesomeness....

by the way, awesome trip report and photos. more photos, more better...

moderators note - i split the two topics of this thread as best i could. my apologies to bretoyce for clouding up your otherwise awesome trip report.

Is a wet suit needed for this one year round?

Quote Originally Posted by shootsright View Post
    Is a wet suit needed for this one year round?
    Bear is pretty dang cold year round. You might be able to get away without a wetsuit in July or August, but I'd likely wear at least a shorty just in case.