Thread: Skyline trail - North ogden pass to Ben Lomond

Skyline trail - North ogden pass to Ben Lomond

Ok here is my first attempt at a trip report. I didn't actually make it to the peak. I stopped at the "Skyline trail" sign, just before the peak. It was all climb on the way out. That also means all downhill on the way back. 13 miles and 2523 elevation gain according to Garmin. I saw 1 hiker on the way up and a herd of mountain goats near the top. I pinch flatted on the way down, but had a spare tube and pump. Its a very rocky trail. I saw 2 motorcyclists, 3 cyclists and 4 hikers on the way down near the trailhead. It rained earlier in the day so the ground was a little wet. That helped keep the dust down, but wasn't muddy. The temperature was great when I was climbing, but on the back side where "the sun don't shine" it got a little cool on the way down. I took some pictures and posted them. I tried to upload a map, but Idont have permission to until I post a few times.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like a great ride! I have never done that one, but do So. Skyline a couple of times each year. Which Trailhead did you start at?

I started at the top of North Ogden pass.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Road that last year only I started at Inspiration Point over to BenLomond and down. Great ride! Nice report. Check with Sombeech about posting the map. I don't see why you would need to have more posts to post a map.
    Chere'

You should have permissions now, we're stopping spammers by putting a 5 post limit before any links are posted. You're at 5 now.

Here's the tutorial for posting maps:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-a-bogley-post

Cool ride

Awe good idea.
    Chere'

That looks like a great ride.

Its a killer on your legs. When you get to the top you almost don't have the strength to ride down.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolguy5700 View Post
    Its a killer on your legs. When you get to the top you almost don't have the strength to ride down.
    But you don't get the awesome downhill without the work! ... unless you cheat.
    Chere'

i am jonesing for a ben lomond ride hopefully this saturday....Nice report, always cool to see a mountain goat up there, I have never seen a whole herd.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

live2ride if your goin saturday maybe we could ride together. What time would be good for you?

Excellent report and pictures

You inspired me to go look for the goats. They were below the trail south of the big wooden sign, I had to scramble down a bit to see them. There were only about a third of the number in your picture. The little one wanted to come over and play, but mom & dad wouldn't let him.

And I was also inspired by others here to try a chest mounted camera. Good thing I don't have any hair on my chest, that duct tape would have been troublesome. I need to get a camera with a wider angle lens.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBkr View Post

And I was also inspired by others here to try a chest mounted camera. Good thing I don't have any hair on my chest, that duct tape would have been troublesome.

Nice pics!
    Chere'

Great pics! You got alot closer to the goats than me. Where did you get the music? I like it!!! Great video, its fun to see places I recognize on video.

Music is Big Cat by Afro Celt Sound System. The goats didn't like me much and kept moving away. Had max zoom on my point and shoot and also cropped the photos on the computer later.
    Gene