Thread: Middle Echo Canyon

Middle Echo Canyon

Okay, so I didn't have the greatest time with Mystery Canyon a week ago (separate thread). To try and put it past me I figured it was best to get back out there as soon as possible. I noticed that Echo was finally open. We hustled up the East Rim Trail and dropped into the canyon following a side drainage as described in Tom's book... I understand that there's actually more canyon above this, and I'm kind of curious as to whether or not I missed something good or not.

Name:  P8160009..JPG
Views: 636
Size:  455.2 KB

Anyway, it wasn't long before the first short rappel into a decent sized pool, which turned out to be the only swim... but I was thankful for the wetsuit I brought, because that water was COLD! However it was also pretty clear of debris and smelled just fine, which I imagine has to do with the recent rains flushing the canyon. I certainly didn't mind it. Several more rappels followed, some into dry potholes, others into waist-deep pools. Even just wading I was thankful for the suit, but then again I get cold easy. The final rappel shown here reminds me a lot of the final pool in the last dark narrow slot of Misery Canyon, minus the two arches.

Name:  P8160057..JPG
Views: 591
Size:  399.9 KB

Name:  P8160062..JPG
Views: 575
Size:  363.5 KB

Name:  P8160071..JPG
Views: 541
Size:  441.0 KB

The thing I noticed about Echo was how deep it seemed compared to some of the other narrow slot canyons. Everything was also covered in a heavy coating of wet sand, which made downclimbing a little more interesting.

Name:  P8160082..JPG
Views: 543
Size:  436.7 KB

I wasn't sure what the Echo Chamber would look like, but it became pretty obvious since the group was talking at the time... and it does certainly echo. It was also here that we encountered the only pools that were turning rancid, but only two or so of them, and they were only shallow wades. The pools further down the canyon were once again good, and full of tadpoles and covered in water striders.

Name:  P8160096..JPG
Views: 547
Size:  415.4 KB

After the last deep pool the canyon opens up and the trail runs right past it, but the last section of slot is one of the best parts of the whole canyon. The light was hitting it just right and result was great.

Name:  P8160100..JPG
Views: 564
Size:  434.0 KB

As we worked through the last section the trail was directly overhead, and we heard someone hiking above us. We shouted a greeting but nobody looked... I suppose with my recent luck I should be happy they didn't throw a rock at me or anything. Soon enough the canyon ended. I was happy to have no crazy stories from this one... just a really beautiful canyon. Nothing technically challenging, but it doesn't always have to be.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pictures! We tried to do it in mid to late June and it was closed because of 30 foot high piles of snow in the lower stretches of canyon. So we went up as far as we could from the bottom. COLD! I'd like to go back and do it from the top some day.

Nice timing at posting! My wife and I headed to Zion this afternoon after the clouds cleared, to descend Echo Canyon. We were surprised to find out they posted yet another flashflood watch. So we picked a hike we hadnt done for a few years, Angels Landing, and did that instead. All in due time I guess. Sure is a beautiful canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by deathtointernet View Post
    I suppose with my recent luck I should be happy they didn't throw a rock at me or anything.

You are rapidly becoming one of my favorite posters here, just FYI.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Nice report. Glad no pesky kids to give ya a scare this time.
    Chere'

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! For a bit I wasn't sure this canyon was going to happen... it really clouded up in the morning, and looked a lot like rain even though there was a zero chance of precipitation (which certainly makes a lot of difference when being washed down the canyon). Thankfully it all moved out of the area before we dropped in. You could see a place or two after the technical section where it looked like there had probably been snow recently.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtointernet View Post
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement! For a bit I wasn't sure this canyon was going to happen... it really clouded up in the morning, and looked a lot like rain even though there was a zero chance of precipitation (which certainly makes a lot of difference when being washed down the canyon). Thankfully it all moved out of the area before we dropped in. You could see a place or two after the technical section where it looked like there had probably been snow recently.
    Nice report, thanks.

People told me there was good canyon above that I missed, so I went and checked it out, "last thing", as the book was being finished. Yes, you can go higher. Yes, there are a few nice sections, but only perhaps 10 feet long. And very hot. So I reverted to my description. There is stuff up there, but not much, and pretty spread out between sections of hot hiking. Certainly not very entertaining in summer.

Tom

Yeah that's kind of what I figured it would be. Well I certainly enjoyed the canyon starting where I did. Thanks for the info.