Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Done deal: BYU to go independent in football

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    They better find a way to light up those gyms. I have seen a few USU games in these high school bleacher gyms and it is so dark on TV. You can't see a thing.
    The seating might be small but the gym's are not dumps.

Heck, have you ever seen Pepperdine's campus? It might be the nicest campus in the country, and the other schools are not dogs...

Pepperdine
    Name:  pepperdine..jpg
Views: 266
Size:  103.5 KB

Santa Clara

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ESPN to televise all home games, 6 game series in the next 9 years with Notre Dame..... this is starting to shape up nicely. And all the other sports teams get to travel to the coast for all conference games.... 2 hour flight at the most. Oh and no more Laramie...
    Life is Good

not ALL home games will be broadcast. they have the right to pick them up, but they are only guaranteed 4 games, one of which is on ESPNU, the others will depend on the caliber of game...

the real kicker though is all the BYUtv concessions, and the fact that ESPN never has to bring a truck to Provo. I'm sure BYU makes plenty of cash because of that arrangement as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    not ALL home games will be broadcast. they have the right to pick them up, but they are only guaranteed 4 games, one of which is on ESPNU, the others will depend on the caliber of game...
    Also the caliber of BYU that year. If they suck or are playing suck dog state... In this case it'll be ESPNU...not even sure if I have that channel, need to check.

It looks like I don't have ESPNU on my package (Comcast) and if I did it wouldn't be in HD. Hmmm. Does anyone else have this channel in HD?

It looks like I don't have ESPNU on my package (Comcast) and if I did it wouldn't be in HD. Hmmm. Does anyone else have this channel in HD?
    DirecTV has it in HD, channel 208.

Hell, I need to look around and compare prices. I've been on crapcast for years...just can't be bothered to investigate. I should resurrect a Bogley post and ask what everyone has and what they pay.

Hell, I need to look around and compare prices. I've been on crapcast for years...just can't be bothered to investigate. I should resurrect a Bogley post and ask what everyone has and what they pay.
    No comparision.... Direct TV is much better then Comcast.... my brother just made the switch and then spent 15 minutes bitching at me for not making him switch before now.

Basically he said his costs dropped $30 per month for roughly the same package ($130 down to $100 approximately) and his picture is better (something about Comcast compresses their signal to jam more stations over the line and it hurts quality, particularly in HD).

Also.... if you (or anyone else) is going to switch hit me up sideband and there is a way we can BOTH make $100 off the deal through an incentive program.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    so I was thinking about this. with a high profile opponent with Notre Dame game do you think there is a chance they play at a nuteral site and sell the TV rights. some place with a lot of mormons and cathlolics. perhaps phoneix or s.cali?

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    so I was thinking about this. with a high profile opponent with Notre Dame game do you think there is a chance they play at a nuteral site and sell the TV rights. some place with a lot of mormons and cathlolics. perhaps phoneix or s.cali?
    Why would you want to do that?

Home and Home is a much better deal, they both have large stadiums that will sale out and you get two sold out games instead of one.

Heck, University of Phoenix Stadium only seats 63,000. Both ND (81,000) and BYU (64,000) are bigger stadiums.

Both teams are also already tied into TV contracts, I doubt their current TV partners would be happy about losing a game or having to pay a second time for something they already own. I don't see this ever happening.

the teams don't pay for it. the neutral site owner does, in exchange for the gate. the tv deals makes up the rest. see byu-oklahoma last year. byu made something like 3 million in that game.

word is miami is going to play a big name team in yankee stadium soon, or some such like that. i think neutral site games can be interesting.

however, i don't see it happening all that often.

but, the ND deal is 4 south bend, 2 in provo. so, byu didn't get THAT sweet of a deal. it's just playing ND.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    but, the ND deal is 4 south bend, 2 in provo.
    Ouch! I hate two for ones. If you consider yourself a top tier program I don't think you should make that deal.

I've been really busy this past week and still haven't found the time to read exactly what the BYU going indy deal contains. All I really know is what the idiots on Sports Talk jabber about.

i don't think byu pretends to think it is "top tier" at this point. they are scheduling 5 wac teams next year, afterall. they just intend to make money off of the deals is all.

so, i think there is an element of BYU knowing they will have to make concessions if they want to schedule a long series with a team like ND. bottom line still stands though, they have to WIN. or else it's all a failed experiment.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    this process got me thinking. perhaps a promotion/relegation pyramid system is needed in college football and basketball. bottom two teams from a big conference are relegated to a mid major conference top two mid major teams promoted to big conference. all other olympic sports stay in their conference.