Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Done deal: BYU to go independent in football

It would have made sense particularly in Basketball. Stew Morell (sp?) has a great program. BYU wouldn't have been in the league for football.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dang.... Utah State is doing some major whining because they made a BAD choice.... bitching about the others being "unethical" is bullshit.... you do what's best for you and your school..... Fresno will end up paying big money to leave the WAC, I fail to see how that is unethical, they signed an agreement with a buy-out clause, and now they have decided to exercise the buy-out clause. I see nothing wrong with that. And the WAC threatening to sue NV for 5 mil, even though they never signed is laughable. If it's not written down, it didn't happen....

I don't see the MWC bitching about it being unethical that the WAC was courting BYU. Of course the MWC just pounded the snot out of the WAC for what they attempted to do....

Utah State is just pissed because they had big visions of going to the dance with BYU on their arm, but now end up at the dance with their fat ugly redneck cousin.

Couple new articles if you haven't read them: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5479730

BYU's schedule for 2011 was...

• BYU at Texas
    • BYU at Oregon State
    • BYU at Fresno State
    • BYU at Hawaii
    • Utah State at BYU
    • Nevada at BYU
    • San Jose State at BYU
    • New Mexico State at BYU
    • Utah at BYU?

Another... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5479944

here are some of my thoughts, though admittedly i'm distant from the college football scene nowadays. i'll simply echo the thoughts of the honorable bucko from cougarboard.

1) BYU has not said or done anything, everything is still rumor and speculation.

2) If all the Rumor & Speculation happens to be true, only ONE team in the MWC has the right to be ticked off at BYU, that's TCU. They have held their own, and honestly would be able to go it on their own if they did not live in the shadows of Texas, TAMU & TT.

3) The teams that have the least to complain about .. UNLV, WYO, SDSU, CSU. You guys have not been carrying your weight for a long time, and hairball constantly caters to you. You have been riding this gravy train long enough, and time to put out or get out.

4) USU got jobbed by their loyalty. They should be ticked at Fresno & UNR because thats who jobbed them, not BYU.

5) Something tells me that BYU will be going to bat for USU whenever and as often as that opportunity presents itself. USU probably just secured themselves a long run of home & homes with BYU, and I imagine BYU will be helping out in anyway possible.

6) I dont want to hear BYU fans complain about playing USU anymore. They stuck up for us, time to stick up for them.

7) I HATE UNR, and hope they get demolished on a regular basis. The sooner that program folds up and disappears the better. They have screwed us over more than once. I am still ticked off about the canceled game on short notice, and the recent events are only icing on the cake.

8) Boise State, I still have no love for you. You have no right to complain one way or another. I do credit you for taking charge of your own destiny. Now pick up the pace of your other programs.

9) BYU should still do whats best for BYU. The only 3 MWC/WAC teams I believe deserve some loyalty from BYU. Those are TCU for carrying their own weight, USU out of the principle of KARMA, and AFA for being a class act regardless and making an honest effort at contributing.

10) Utah, I have no disrespect either. You carried your weight in the MWC, and you got your reward. Good job. To the Ute fans, your team just got bumped up a level in the BCS social class, try and do the same for yourselves. You have a great team, time for some of the trailer trash fans you have to change their game. You say your elite . . start acting like it.

I'll take exception to is this...

1) BYU has not said or done anything, everything is still rumor and speculation.
    That should read BYU has not done anything "officially".... because BYU did do something, they did a lot, and its well documented.... they tried to work out a better deal for themselves and it fell apart, and it could cost them in the end.

Now I have no problem with BYU trying to work out a better deal for themselves, but they certianly can't stand innocently on the sideline and say they didn't do anything....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'll take exception to is this...

That should read BYU has not done anything "officially".... because BYU did do something, they did a lot, and its well documented.... they tried to work out a better deal for themselves and it fell apart, and it could cost them in the end.

Now I have no problem with BYU trying to work out a better deal for themselves, but they certianly can't stand innocently on the sideline and say they didn't do anything....
    I agree with the addition of "officially" but think you're nitpicking here...pretty sure that "officially" is what he/she intended in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25 View Post
    I agree with the addition of "officially" but think you're nitpicking here...pretty sure that "officially" is what he/she intended in the first place.
    I don't see it as nit-picking.... BYU did a lot.... what BYU did is why the WAC is now on its death bed and why the MWC has added two more teams they really didn't want.... I just finished watching the interview on KSL with Utah States AD.... and BYU was into everything up to their elbows..... the only thing BYU didn't do was issue any public statements or sign any agreements.... they did agree in principle to join the WAC....

keep dreaming iceaxe. byu did nothing wrong to the WAC. if we used your same logic, we could blame this on the U, since they screwed over the MWC, hence leading to the domino effect in the conferences. (which of course, is ludicrous.)

byu was trying to STRENGTHEN the wac. take off your anti-byu goggles for two seconds. they wanted the WAC, had no intention of destroying it. the fact UNR and FSU broke their word is why the WAC is on the death bed, it is not because of BYU....

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    keep dreaming iceaxe. byu did nothing wrong to the WAC.
    I never said BYU did anything wrong to anyone.... In fact I said the exact oppiste.... BYU tried to improve their lot in life, which I have no problem with.

But to say BYU did "nothing" is a miss-statement because they did do something.... they did a lot of somethings...

and FWIW: Utah State is now asking to join the MWC.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    reports that Fresno was very involved in BYU's football scheduling and wanted assurances to play BYU regularly before jumping ship

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/b...rence.html.csp

So... lets see how smart you guys really are when it comes to college football..... As of noon today the news is currently split about even..... 50% is reporting BYU stays in the MWC while 50% is reporting that BYU goes independant....

My money is on BYU staying in the MWC.

Lets hear your best guess....

My money is on BYU staying in the MWC.

Not knowing what phone calls are being made, what deals have or have not been made, I would agree that they stay put.... for now.
    Life is Good

Staying where they belong...

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Staying where they belong...

FYI: There is a really good story in todays SL Trib about everything that went on behind the scene. A bunch of wheeling and dealing....

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/...enson.html.csp

Honestly I wish BYU would get an invite to the Big 12, but I don't see that happening. Too many philosophical differences. They will be skipped for the same reason the PAC 10 skipped them. And this is the one time you can say it isn't/wasn’t all about money, because from a purely money aspect BYU would bring in more then Utah. Bigger stadium, larger fan base, more history, yada, yada

i see no way that byu stays in the mwc now. hair has screwed them one too many times. and byu, sans utah, has nothing to stay for. the conference is now weaker than ever. and byu will be subsidizing everyone else.

i am confident byu goes indy. probably to the detriment of their other sports. probably still go to the wac with other sports, and try to get a few defectors to go with them.

if they stay in the mwc, it will be the darkest day as a byu fan ever. even worse than the crowton years. it disgusts me just thinking about it.

Too many philosophical differences. They will be skipped for the same reason the PAC 10 skipped them.
    philosophical differences? nah, my personal opinion is there are few. sunday play? that's an easy workaround, always has been.

imo, the biggest reason the pac 10 skipped over BYU is because mormons feel an urge to meddle in the political affairs of the state of california. can you imagine the firestorm that adding BYU would bring? it would be ugly. that, combined with the fact they only needed two teams, and they wanted to hurt the big 12 in the process (hence colorado), and byu was never even considered.

however, those scenarios don't exist in the big 12. if anything, BYU is a much better fit in the big 12 than they would've been in the pac10, simply because of the desire for independent tv production. still, doesn't mean they will ever get an invite.

Hmmm, gonna have to disagree. Highly doubt the Pac 10 gives a mouse fart about what the LDS thinks about gay marriage
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    philosophical differences? nah, my personal opinion is there are few. sunday play? that's an easy workaround, always has been.

imo, the biggest reason the pac 10 skipped over BYU is because mormons feel an urge to meddle in the political affairs of the state of california. can you imagine the firestorm that adding BYU would bring? it would be ugly. that, combined with the fact they only needed two teams, and they wanted to hurt the big 12 in the process (hence colorado), and byu was never even considered.

however, those scenarios don't exist in the big 12. if anything, BYU is a much better fit in the big 12 than they would've been in the pac10, simply because of the desire for independent tv production. still, doesn't mean they will ever get an invite.

reedus, you are my favorite. always so eloquent.

but i'm not going to debate it with you. you are mormon, of course you won't believe it.

shane is right though about the pac 10. too many philosophical differences. the power players for the conference are in california. draw your own conclusions. hence, why they should go independent and flip everyone else the metaphorical bird.

however, in the big 12, i think it's less of an issue. but it still doesn't mean they'll get an invite.

After reading todays news I'm changing my best guess to "the Cougs are going independant".

The LDS chruch has given BYU the green light to "do what they think is best" for the program and the chruch.

After reading todays news I'm changing my best guess to "the Cougs are going independant".
    I agree but the question is when. Seems they are running out of time with the Sept 1 deadline fast approaching.
    Life is Good