Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Done deal: BYU to go independent in football

I told a buddy at work this morning that it seemed like desperation. They were desperate to do something, but this isn't the answer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Done deal: http://www.themwc.com/genrel/081810aac.html

Mountain West Conference Adds Fresno State and Nevada

Aug. 18, 2010

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -

The Mountain West Conference announced tonight that California State University, Fresno and the University of Nevada, Reno have accepted invitations to join the MWC.
    "Fresno State is honored to accept the invitation to join the Mountain West Conference," said Fresno State President John Welty. "We look forward to competition against some universities we have not faced previously and to renewing rivalries with San Diego State, Colorado State and several other schools that we enjoyed previously."

"We have had a great experience in the WAC. We have appreciated the strong competition and the wonderful colleagues" said Nevada President Milt Glick. "The offer to join the Mountain West Conference is an opportunity we cannot turn down. The Mountain West is a strong conference and this will enhance our natural rivalry with UNLV and continue our rivalry with Boise State. We believe joining this conference is in the best, long-term interests of our fans and program, and also view this invitation as acknowledgement of our work to build a strong, competitive program."

"The Air Force Academy is pleased to hear that Fresno State and Nevada have accepted our invitation to join the Mountain West Conference," said Lt. General Mike Gould, Superintendent of the United States Air Force Academy and Chair of the MWC Board of Directors. "Both of these schools are great additions to the academic and athletic excellence of the Conference, and we look forward to working with them both on and off the field."

"The addition of Fresno State and Nevada further enhances the Mountain West Conference," said Commissioner Craig Thompson. "Our Board of Directors has continued to be diligent and aggressive in executing our strategy for positioning the MWC in the national landscape. We are excited to welcome these two institutions into the Mountain West. Both fit geographically and create new Conference rivalries."

The Mountain West Conference was founded with eight members in 1998. TCU joined the Conference in 2005 and Boise State University accepted an invitation to the league on June 11, 2010.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    on the comment boards byu fans are claiming this was the plan all along and that utah wanted to go independent too but had to settle for the pac 10. they also claim tcu & bsu are following to the wac

[demotivational poster]
    College. It's not about learning anymore.
    [/demotivational poster]

Actually, come to think of it, was it ever?

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    on the comment boards byu fans are claiming this was the plan all along and that utah wanted to go independent was too but had to settle for the pac 10. they also claim tcu & bsu are following to the wac
    Yeah right...sounds like zoobie comments.

If TCU and BSU go to the WAC, Fresno and Nevada would stay in the MWC?

Yeah, the other sports will play crap teams, but none of those other sports make money - ever. Football is the big daddy, and pays for every other athletic program. When daddy gets a new job out of state, the kids gotta go move too and make friends in a new school... (Although yeah, most of the time the daddy's do consider their kids when they make career moves, but in this case I can't imagine that the other sports got any consideration at all)

Maybe BYU saw Boise's strategy the past few years: Play a bunch of weak teams and easily go undefeated for several years, prepare a lot to beat the one tough team you face in a bowl game - and watch as the nation kisses your rear end and moves you up in the ranks. If BYU goes independent and schedules a Boise-strength schedule and goes undefeated for a few years, maybe they too can be overhyped and overranked!
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

As a fan this doesn't excite me. Money is money, but I don't see this making BYU better. For me it's about what's on the field and what chance my team has to be national champs or play in big games...not play in high school stadiums on ESPN.

And its yet to be seen if this move is better financially for BYU..... it depends on what type of TV deal they can work out with ESPN....

Right now BYU reminds me of the girl that thinks she is a 10, but is really only a 6....

Craig Thompson made a heady move by quickly bringing in Nevada and Fresno and effectively gutting the WAC. I can't see BYU being particularly happy with that treatmente but, it is what it is. Your move BYU......
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Craig Thompson made a heady move by quickly bringing in Nevada and Fresno and effectively gutting the WAC.
    It was the move he had to make.... but I don't think it as the move he wanted to make.... Nevada and Fresno bring little to the table...... I think the MWC was planning on sitting back for a year or two, enjoying what is/was a descent conference and seeing what played out elsewhere... something was going to give..... qualifying for an automatic BCS berth or something changing in the Big 12. I don't see the Big 12 standing pat, that conference will either blow up or expand to 12 teams. The Big 12 is leaving too much money on the table without a conference championship game.

As an independent your season is totalled with your first loss.... no conference Championship to play for... Army and Navy are independents but they are always playing for the Commander in Chief trophy along with Air Force, which is almost a small conference among the military.

My other thought was that BYU leaked this mess to the media to force the MWC to get Nevada and Fresno and also to bust up the mess that is the TV contract. So many theories floating out there. Again....
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    My other thought was that BYU leaked this mess to the media to force the MWC to get Nevada and Fresno and also to bust up the mess that is the TV contract. So many theories floating out there. Again....
    How is adding Nevada and Fresno a plus for BYU if they stay in the MWC?

And BYU was the 800-pound gorrilla in the MWC room.... they could have probably demanded the right to produce their own TV and got it..... one other interesting note. BYU was the biggest proponent of the MWC establishing its own TV network. If it were not for BYU leading the charge, the crappy MTN would probably not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Aug. 18, 2010

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -

The Mountain West Conference announced tonight that California State University,
    Who?

Edit I just went back and looked at it again. Is thats Fresno's official name?

I'll tell you who I feel sorry for.... Utah State!

They are just starting to get their program back on track and now this.... New Mexico St, Idaho, La Tech, San Jose St, and Hawaii. That has to be THE WORST football conference in history!

Now.... if the MWC can only figure out a way to get San Diego St to jump to the WAC.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Who?

Edit I just went back and looked at it again. Is thats Fresno's official name?
    Yes... both Fresno State and San Diego State are California State University... along with a bunch of others....

California State University Bakersfield
    California State University Channel Islands
    California State University Chico
    California State University Dominguez Hills
    California State University East Bay
    California State University Fresno
    California State University Fullerton
    Humboldt State University
    California State University Long Beach
    California State University Los Angeles
    California Maritime Academy
    California State University Monterey Bay
    California State University Northridge
    California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
    California State University Sacramento
    California State University San Bernardino
    San Diego State University
    San Francisco State University
    San Jose State University
    California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
    California State University San Marcos
    Sonoma State University
    California State University Stanislaus

How about the BYU basketball program. Let's see I could go to Utah and play, say Stanford or sign with the Cougars and play La Tech. I would think Rose is spitting bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Yes... both Fresno State and San Diego State are California State University... along with a bunch of others....

California State University Bakersfield
    California State University Channel Islands
    California State University Chico
    California State University Dominguez Hills
    California State University East Bay
    California State University Fresno
    California State University Fullerton
    Humboldt State University
    California State University Long Beach
    California State University Los Angeles
    California Maritime Academy
    California State University Monterey Bay
    California State University Northridge
    California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
    California State University Sacramento
    California State University San Bernardino
    San Diego State University
    San Francisco State University
    San Jose State University
    California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
    California State University San Marcos
    Sonoma State University
    California State University Stanislaus
    Hey the COUGS could play all of them.

ESPN is talking about it right now

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    poor utah state. their loyalty missed the boat

http://www.utahstateaggies.com/genrel/081910aab.html

[snip]
    Recently, Utah State, under President Stan Albrecht's strong leadership, played a major role in exploring the possibility of bringing BYU into the WAC. As of Tuesday, BYU was on the verge of joining the WAC in all sports but football. . .

[snip]

WAC members signed a letter of commitment that included a $5M membership buyout. When the possibility of BYU leaving became known, MWC leadership contacted three WAC members inquiring about their interest in joining the MWC. Utah State was the first of these three contacts.

At the point in time when Utah State was contacted by the MWC we had a binding agreement with the WAC and were well positioned with nine members, which included BYU. We were simply committed to uphold our agreement with fellow WAC members. We respectfully declined MWC interest and believed all WAC members would remain committed to our agreement.
    [/snip]
    wow

So Utah State was insturmental in brokering a deal to bring BYU to the WAC?????

Sounds like Utah State is getting what they deserve.... we reap what we sow.