Thread: Anyone know how to find Hades Lake from Grandaddy Trailhead?

Anyone know how to find Hades Lake from Grandaddy Trailhead?

Yes, I know GPS would be the ticket. Just wondering if anyone knows the best route to get there or if anyone has actually been there as I don't think there is a trail. Thanks much, CC

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nope it doesn't look like there is a trail.. but I disagree that a GPS would be the ticket.. study some topo maps, take some headings on your compass and follow the land contours and you will be there in no time at all :)
    Name:  Capture..jpg
Views: 939
Size:  89.0 KB
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooelecherokee View Post
    but i disagree that a gps would be the ticket.. Study some topo maps, take some headings on your compass and follow the land contours and you will be there in no time at all
    qfe

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    Nope it doesn't look like there is a trail.. but I disagree that a GPS would be the ticket.. study some topo maps, take some headings on your compass and follow the land contours and you will be there in no time at all :)
    Name:  Capture..jpg
Views: 939
Size:  89.0 KB
    I think this is usually the best way but the land contours in the Uintas can be so subtle on the topo map that even a 7.5 quad misses some things. I love nothing more than pointing my GPS at a lake and just going there... with a map as backup of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I think this is usually the best way but the land contours in the Uintas can be so subtle on the topo map that even a 7.5 quad misses some things. I love nothing more than pointing my GPS at a lake and just going there... with a map as backup of course.
    I have never had any issues following land contours and compass headings to find anything in the Uintas.. Then again I use my map and compass as a primary navigation tool and my GPS as a secondary navigation tool (my map/compass has never had signal or battery issues)..

but honestly the contours you need to follow to get to Hades lake are rather defined :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    I have never had any issues following land contours and compass headings to find anything in the Uintas.. Then again I use my map and compass as a primary navigation tool and my GPS as a secondary navigation tool (my map/compass has never had signal or battery issues)..

but honestly the contours you need to follow to get to Hades lake are rather defined :)
    To each his own. The way I see it, it is kind of like traveling in a small boat with a motor. You'd be an idiot not to keep the fail-proof oars in the boat just in case, but the motor is much easier and more convenient so why wouldn't you use it first. I've never had signal or battery issues with a GPS while navigating with it, much like gas in your car and water in your pack, you just have to be thoughtful and plan for your needs and always have a backup plan.

Thanks a ton for your responses. I'll make it there sometime before the year is out and post info/pictures afterwards. I've heard good things about this lake and will use available resources to find it. Thanks again. CC

Have you considered just starting at the Grandview TH? The main trail into Hades and Grandaddy originates from there, and it is a great trail. No bushwacking required

Thanks to all who responded to this request. I did actually make the journey a couple of week ago and it was one brutal ass hike. Not far from the GrandDaddy TH but with no trail the travel is slow and it certainly doesn't help when you are carrying a shih-tzu in each arm !! These are small dogs and the forestry was just to thick for them, not to mention the boulder fields. Beautiful lake and I'm thrilled I finally found it, but I'll have to stick with Grandaddy and the surrounding lakes to really land the big fish and just have more area to get lost in.

Trip report?

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Trip report?
    Ditto.

certainly doesn't help when you are carrying a shih-tzu in each arm
    Ha! You have to post a photo of this at least.