Thread: What a new rider/buyer should look for?

What a new rider/buyer should look for?

I am considering getting a motorcycle of some sort for my daily commute and other things around town. I have a truck, but thought a bike would be fun and save me money on gas in the long run.

I know what to look for when buying a used car etc...but what should I be looking for in buying a motorcycle. What is recommended for beginners etc?

I am not totally set on what type to buy either so input is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I guess it depends on whta you're looking for. Are you looking for something that you can ride to work during the week and into the hills on the weekend? Like a dirt bike? Or are into long distance touring? Cruiser? etc.. I think most people on here are in the dirt bike crowd with street legal dirt bikes.

Whatever you end up getting, unlike a car, you can pretty much tell right away whether its been taken care of or not. I've found that most people who have owned a motorcycle have been careful with it and modified or done most of the required maintenance.

Good luck. If you end up thinking along the dirt route let us know so we can offer up even more advice.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Ditto. Post up and let us know what type of bikes you end up looking at. We can give you tips either way and advice.

go with a dual sport of some kind. then you have more options on what type of rides you can take.

Name:  Ahuriri 2 (Medium.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  109.7 KB
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

While I see the advantages of a dual sport bike...I don't see myself going off road with it. Once our boy gets a bit older we will probably by some quads or dirtbikes for off road activities, but for now this would be more of a commuter/around town bike.

I can't make up my mind so far on whether I want to go with a Ninja type...or more of a street cruiser (Honda Shadow,etc). I'm pretty uninformed to be honest.

Start off by taking an MSF course. They let you ride various styles of small displacement bike so you can see what the options are. The ninja style is not for you if you have small kids and are just starting riding - kids need a dad growing up. Also you will want to look into the stepped license process to make sure you get and test on a bike that is large enough for you. (or through the MSF you get licensed for up to 650 cc immediately.

I have to 2nd the KLR. As a beginner you will want the upright riding style, wider bars for better control, etc... If you don't want to ride off road put street biased tire on it and have fun.

Thanks for the info double moo. I had looked into Motorcycle training options a bit and will continue to do so.

My concerns about the ninja style are the same you expressed...though I have no desire to go crazy fast or pop wheelies or anything of the sort...there is always the chance of getting more bold as time passes and I get more comfortable on it...probably a good idea to avoid it all together.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    This is the mother in me talking.... I know nothing about bikes except the night I spent in the ER room with Tyler while the nurse used a wire brush to scrub (and she was not nice about it) gravel out of his forehead. It was awful! and scary and he had rocks work their way out for years after that accident.

1. WEAR A HELMET
    2. Make sure you life insurance is enough that your wife doesn't have to think about working ever again IF you die or are mutilated from riding the bike.
    3. Take the safety class
    4. Stay away from the crotch rockets
    5. Have fun!
    Chere'

Thanks blueeyes...my mother has no knowledge of any desire to buy a bike or I probably would have had a MUCH longer lecture already :)

For those with experience...are the Ninja style bikes any more dangerous just by nature or is it more of the riding personality and risks taken by most ninja riders that give them the bad name?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25 View Post
    ... is it more of the riding personality and risks taken by most ninja riders that give them the bad name?
    This.

That being said... a Suzuki SV650 is a great beginner/intermediate bike choice... if the styling appeals to you.

Thanks for the recommendation...another thing I hadn't mentioned that might make a difference...

I'm 6'5" and not sure if that makes me potentially too tall for some bikes?

Ninja bikes suck to ride farther then around the block. But they will get around the block fast. Just have lots of insurance.

with the klr is more of being too short. you would fit that bike fine. i have more of a road type tire on mine and its fun through the twisties
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I highly recommend that anyone riding a street bike enroll in a high performace rider school, they are tought at both Las Vegas Motor Speedway and Miller Motorsports Park. They are also tought at just about every major race track around the country. The skills you learn will save you from injury or death one day.

As someone who has tought at these schools I'll say they are worth every penny. There is a big difference between knowing safety and having the ability to keep your motorcycle on two wheels when you encounter a corner covered in gravel.

I also recommend all new automotive drivers be sent through a high performance driving school. Both my kids will be sent through a high performace driving school before I ever allow them out on the open road. The cost of a high performance school is paid for by avoiding one accident in your lifetime.

YMMV.

I had a buddy that looked into this at Miller for his daughter and they basically said they did not teach teenagers to drive?