Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a canoe

How about a canoe with a rafter in it holding a big pump?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Could you come gift wrapped like that.

All I want for Christmas is......

Well you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post

Well you get the idea.
    This?

Bogley BigShot
    Christmas In a box....

Oh yeah.. special.. real.... bring it on baby. Make sure it has a big red bow on it!

Alex: I should have mentioned air bags, thanks. And a helmet for the rocks. I'm very old school when it comes to whitewater, and prefer canoes in up to Class 3. The agility of a canoe is amazing if you know the strokes (and that's the important part). I have a "boat problem," as it were, now owning two Dagger whitewater boats. I have a Dagger Ovation fully rigged with airbags and a saddle which takes heavy water well, and a pink (yes, pink) Dagger Encore I bought this summer from a Craigslister in G.J. Co. "Pinkie" is a hell of a boat, though war-torn, with a small saddle, airbags and asymmetrical hull. It took the nasties very well on the San Miguel and was as nimble as a ballerina on the Animas. But I digress -- yes, as Alex said, know deep-water reentry techniques. Practice in calm water on a hot day. I'd highly recommend a few ACA-certified classes.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Tanya, you heard Rev. He has a pink canoe and knows his strokes! Can't go wrong with a river junkie

Rev, you are set sounds like! I've seen some dudes doing crazy stuff in canoes, so it's definitely doable. I've taken a hard shell canoe down class 3, I didn't know what I was doing, but it was still fun and I made it. Even though I had to learn how to flip the boat up right in a rapid (not fun at all!)

Bogley BigShot
    I have a preference for Russian river junkies.

http://www.paddling.net/

Is a great source for reviews and info on canoes and kayaks. There is an extensive database in the review section and a great forum as well. If I were buying, I'd look here to get answers.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

I followed this thread with mild interest back when it was started, but after a very short but fun experience floating the Green River last weekend, I decided that I have to get a canoe. I think I know what I want, but my question now is, where to shop for a canoe? I'm thinking about heading up to the SLC area to look for one, but the only places I know will have them are Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. Anyone know of any other places in either Utah or Salt Lake valleys that sell 'em?
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote View Post
    Very late to this thread, but for someone your size and for the type of paddling you're considering, see if you can find a Blue Hole OCA. They are only available on the used market, but are awesome boats. The OCA is 16', and can trip with over 1,000 pounds. They are also surprisingly agile and great in heavy water.
    I used to have a canoe just like this.. Only green.. paddled great!.. Got stolen from me at lost lake in the Uintas in 2010... I still need to get me a inflatable ...
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    I followed this thread with mild interest back when it was started, but after a very short but fun experience floating the Green River last weekend, I decided that I have to get a canoe. I think I know what I want, but my question now is, where to shop for a canoe? I'm thinking about heading up to the SLC area to look for one, but the only places I know will have them are Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. Anyone know of any other places in either Utah or Salt Lake valleys that sell 'em?

Sidsports would be a good place to check out as well www.sidsports.com
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Sidsports is where I bought my more than 10 years ago. Those guys specialize in water sports and they are quite knowledgeable. Rei would be my second choice.

I got my Wenonah 16' Adirondack on Craigslist, barely used for $550. Only weighs 55 lbs. Carries everything we need, it has handled full class 2 water. Greta boat.
    Greg

Dennis- if you want to head the other direction to GJ, we have a shop here called Whitewater West....that's where I get my river gear from.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ View Post
    Dennis- if you want to head the other direction to GJ, we have a shop here called Whitewater West....that's where I get my river gear from.
    Dang, why didn't I think of that?! GJ is is slightly farther than SLC but the same driving time for me. There's not really a used market around SLC (I checked Craigslist and KSL Classified and there isn't much around there), but there's a lot in your area. Thanks, Randy. I may plan a day where I can check out some used ones, and hit a retail store if I strike out.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by gnwatts View Post
    I got my Wenonah 16' Adirondack on Craigslist, barely used for $550. Only weighs 55 lbs. Carries everything we need, it has handled full class 2 water. Greta boat.
    Greg
    This is the same exact canoe that I bought. It has been down some pretty rought rivers and floated numerous lakes. I think it cost around 1100.00 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Dang, why didn't I think of that?! GJ is is slightly farther than SLC but the same driving time for me. There's not really a used market around SLC (I checked Craigslist and KSL Classified and there isn't much around there), but there's a lot in your area. Thanks, Randy. I may plan a day where I can check out some used ones, and hit a retail store if I strike out.
    There's a lot of river runners around here :)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Wenonah

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    This is the same exact canoe that I bought. It has been down some pretty rought rivers and floated numerous lakes. I think it cost around 1100.00 10 years ago.
    It is an amazing boat (55 lbs!). I read it did not like heavy loads - untrue! It tracks straight and fast, can turn quickly and can handle some whitewater and waves. I have gone through 12-18" waves and it churns right along. Loaded up on our last trip, with my wife and I paddling, I was able to keep up with our friend in her 16' sea kayak. She was not paddling hard and we were, but still quite impressive. I have not tipped it over yet, secondary stability is fantastic (initial is a little sketchy sometimes). I did get thrown off once by an overhanging tree on the Gunnison, not the canoes fault though.
    Greg

delete - failed to read entire post.

I've also been thinking about getting a canoe. This will probably be more for family/fishing use on flatwater, like Deer Creek and the drive-ups in the Uintas. Would like to fit me and the wife and a kid in it. Maybe someday take it down stretches of the Provo.

I've been looking at Old Town Discovery 169 for its tracking due to length and better ability to hold three people. My wife's concern is its weight and getting it on/off the car. I'm tall and skinny, she's short and petite.

Thoughts?

Also, is the best place to buy that on KSL? I've seen a few there and they seem reasonably priced.

Sent from my Android
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?