Thread: Kanaraville Creek Family Hike 7/25/2010

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Kanaraville Creek Family Hike 7/25/2010

Being down here in Southern Utah in July it is blazing hot! We had heard of a great hike through water so on Sunday we headed up to Kanaraville and hiked up to the first waterfall. Sarah went with us this time and she even enjoyed the hike. The kids really liked this one and we plan to do it again. The next time they want to go further through the canyon.

Name:  P1110700..jpg
Views: 271
Size:  162.7 KB

Name:  DSCF0622..jpg
Views: 272
Size:  90.9 KB

Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Very nice Chere. Looks to be even hotter this week.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Sweetness
    I will in in Zion this weekend with plans on doing this hike on the way down.

So where did you park for this one?

Bogley BigShot
    Nice :)

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Sweetness
    I will in in Zion this weekend with plans on doing this hike on the way down.

So where did you park for this one?
    Back in the day you could drive to the creek, now a days a sign on the gate blocking road access says to park at the city offices, but most people park in a large pullout about 100 yards from the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao View Post
    Back in the day you could drive to the creek, now a days a sign on the gate blocking road access says to park at the city offices, but most people park in a large pullout about 100 yards from the gate.
    is it legal to park there?
    I will have two little kids with me so parking miles away is not really an option.

That is the only place to park. You hike up the road to where the creek begins. Dunk yourselves good if it is hot and continue on the road again. The road will meet with the creek and then you are in the water the rest of the time.

From the parking lot to the first time you cross the stream moving at Sarah's pace (she is 10) which no kidding is slower than a snail. I think it took us 20 min. Really if she would just walk a steady pace we could have made it in 12 but what do ya do. Smile and keep going. And then another 15- 20 min for the second crossing at her pace. That is where we sat and ate lunch and she perked up because we were now in the water. Some how hiking in water is fun and hiking with dry feet is not.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    is it legal to park there?
    I will have two little kids with me so parking miles away is not really an option.
    When I did it this spring we were told by the locals to park there. I don't know if its legal but its definitely common practice.
    Way cool canyon though. The second and third falls were my favorite. May be tough with little kids though.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    -John Muir

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    when the gate was placed they originally wanted you to park at the city offices

from Bo & Tanya's site:
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/kanarra-creek.htm
    July 2008 - Even more recent problems:
    According to locals the recent closure has a lot to do with those that party and have been closing off pipelines by throwing things into the pipe. The water testing at the city tank showed deteriorating water levels and that prompted the city to gate the canyon. They will have a sign on the gate soon, requesting all hikers to park at the city office, rather than in front of the gate. They will be towing those who park in front of houses or along the street.

so am I parking here 37.537196,-113.175908 ?
    really just wondering how much road walking is involved...

That looks about right.

You go up the hill and down to the creek for the first crossing. Then up a hill to the creek then your in the creek the rest of the time. Like I said Sarah is slow, she complains and drives me nuts. But hey she is 10. It really isn't bad and of all the hikes we have done this year Sarah loved this one. She actually wants to go again.
    Chere'

When I hiked in Kanarra Creek last year I dutifully parked in the town hall lot in the center of town and walked to the gate (it's really not that far). We were the first into the canyon for the day, which is how I like it. As we were coming out, there were family type crowds coming in, and all were parked at that lot on the north side of the road right before the gate and we felt a bit foolish.

We were actually there the day after you - almost. The water was quite tempting, but instead we opted for Smith which is one canyon to the south, and shows much less use. It, too, is very scenic. Both canyons tend north eastward, so have very nice morning lighting on the red canyon walls.

Hiked this on friday and it was awesome. The approach was pretty hot and we only had time to go just above the first fall but the kids loved it

Thanks for posting.

Glad you guys enjoyed. I can't wait to see your pics!!! You do amazing things with that camera of yours.
    Chere'