Thread: Observation Point with Spencer 7/23/2010

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Observation Point with Spencer 7/23/2010

Early Saturday morning Spencer and I dragged our buts out of bed and made it to Zion to catch the first shuttle (ok so maybe not the very very first shuttle but it was early enough) our goal was to make Observation Point before the sun could bake us.

If I remember right it took us 2
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Way to go! Gorgeous spot, huh - so worth the effort! Did you get roasted?

How old is Spencer? You made good time. Here's my Ben at age 8, a few years ago. The shadows show that you got up significantly earlier than we did.

Name:  IMG_0161_large..jpg
Views: 189
Size:  64.6 KB

Spencer is 14. I think we made it up there about 9ish. So no Cirrus we didn't get to roasted, but we were famished by the time we made it back down!!! We passed only one other hiker on his way back down that didn't start when we did. There was a family of 4 (kids were 17-20) that made it up before us and headed off just about the time we got there. So we had the place to ourselves for about 30 min. As we started down another couple showed up and then going down we passed one after the other. Very glad we got an early start.
    Chere'

Awesome report! Lucky to have that in your backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    but we were famished by the time we made it back down!!! We passed only one other hiker on his way back down that didn't start when we did.
    I have often wondered if the food in the Springdale restaurants is that good or anything tastes good after eating trail food all day
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

For some reason I swear nothing was open in Springdale when we finished our hike. I tried to go to three different restaurants and they were all closed. We drove into Hurricane and ate at the Barista. Yeah not recommended. Food was fabulous. However the guy that runs the place I swear is a con-artist. For Spencer and I to have LUNCH with apple pie it was $80. They don't take visa so I had to drive around Hurricane looking for and ATM to swipe my debit card... of course they didn't have one for my bank so I was charged the ATM fees plus my bank fees.

There was another family in there that got mad as well. The server didn't bother to tell them that refills were not free so when the bill came to their table and they had been charged for every drink they refilled (which I imagine was a lot there were 10 of them) Spencer said they Mom got very upset. I didn't see this as I was out looking for an ATM.

Too bad because the food was good and the place is cute. But IMHO way to over priced for a cafe in a small town. I will never go back. If I want to pay that kinda money for food I am looking for more of a dinner atmosphere and not feeling like I have been raped when I walk out of there.

Pretty much McDonalds would have tasted good after that hike.
    Chere'