Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motos from North Ogden pass to Ben Lomond Peak and such

Apparently it was open to motorcycles that day!
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'll have to take the 5th in regards to that trail.

These things happen

Quote Originally Posted by SportSawyer View Post
    FYI. The North Fork trail (it's part of your tracklog) is not open to motorcycles.
    Interesting. There was no signage or markings saying it was not open to motorized travel. We read the sign at the top that laid out the trail but nothing mentioned any type of closure. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by supergper View Post
    Interesting. There was no signage or markings saying it was not open to motorized travel. We read the sign at the top that laid out the trail but nothing mentioned any type of closure. Good to know.

If its anything like Nevada then the openings/closings are constantly changing. My buddy and I went every weekend to a spot and rode for hours for about 8 months. One day a ranger pulls up and tells it is a closed area. No signage, no maps, nothing. I did some research and it was discussed to be closed but had never received a ruling and therefore was not closed. Even the ranger didn't know. We went back there the next weekend and still ride there about once or twice a month.

If it's not signed and has been used by motorcycles in the past then I consider it fair game. I feel that if they are going to close something then they need to properly document and police it. I exercise a little civil disobedience in some areas that I know have been riding areas for years and are now closed (for whatever reason) but are not policed. I'd rather ride there and run the risk of getting a ticket than not ride there at all.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Good Call and well put! It's bad enough living the life of an outlaw, without being informed of it!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    If it's not signed and has been used by motorcycles in the past then I consider it fair game. I feel that if they are going to close something then they need to properly document and police it. ...
    That trail has been closed to motorcycles since 1991. I, amongst others, tried to get it opened with the travel plan update. Didn't happen. The travel plan update is currently under litigation from environmental groups. Showing irresponsible behavior like riding closed trails is really NOT going to help. If anything, it'll help get the Skyline closed, which is what those environmental groups wanted during the travel plan update, and still want.

Per the 2005 FS Travel Management Rule, it doesn't matter if there's a sign on the ground. And on the UWCNF, trails are, and have been (for about 20 years), managed as closed unless designated open. It's your responsibility to "know before you go".

All National Forest units now use what's called a Motor Vehicle Use Map to designate which trails are open to which motorized modes. That's per the 2005 rule. The Ogden Ranger District uses the "map booklet" format, which is cumbersome, but the MVUM is the Official Map referred to on those signs you now see on every National Forest that say: "ENTERING WHEELED MOTORIZED RESTRICTION AREA -- ONLY USE ROADS & TRAILS SHOWN ON THE OFFICIAL MAP".

The Ogden RD MVUM is online at:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5090532.pdf

The flippant replies are real cute, but all you're doing is unwittingly shooting yourselves in the foot.

Which page of those sorry excuse for maps is the one with North Fork on it? Then the government wonders why people struggle knowing where they are riding when that is what they give you to ride with.

This may fit more in the 4x4 forum but it kind of applies to this discussion... several years ago I got hit with three federal charges for driving my Toyota down a well-worn but unsigned dirt road that apparently crossed through the edge of a wilderness boundary. I got stuck and had to leave it just outside the wilderness boundary and that's how they found out, it took me a few days to rescue it. Funny thing is they wanted me to disassemble the entire truck and pack it out on horse rather than drive it back out (hence why I ended up with three charges instead of just one). Anyway, the forest 'cops' that busted me didn't give a rats ass that the road was well used and there were no signs up. They said it was my own responsibility to know what roads I could and couldn't drive on.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Which page of those sorry excuse for maps is the one with North Fork on it? ...
    Actually, it's NOT shown. Read this again: "ONLY USE ROADS & TRAILS SHOWN ON THE OFFICIAL MAP". If it was shown on the "map booklet", it'd be on pages 3B & 4B. The northern Skyline is shown on pages 3A, 3B, and 4A. I don't like the "map booklet" format either, they make it nearly impossible to plan a trip unless each page is de-collared and taped together. Don't complain to me, complain to the Ogden RD. I'm just telling you the facts.

The adjacent Logan RD uses the 34" x 44" format, which is much more usable, see:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5103212.pdf

Like it or not, the MVUM, in either format, is the legal document of what's open to what uses and when (note the seasonal closure on the northern Skyline).

I do my best to stay informed on my local trails but I'm not perfect nor do I have hours every weekend to determine if my planned route has been closed or opened. If I get there and it's not signed and it looks like others are using it then I use it. If it's illegal and I get caught then I only have myslef to blame.

If the environmentalists want to close down desert riding areas that have been ridden for over 20+ years, as recently happened near Vegas, then they had better be prepared to police and fine. I'm a blue ribbon member and I actively participate in the scoping plans and letters required here in Vegas on a regular basis and I rarely ride in an area that is closed that I know is closed.

Take for example our recent trip to Gold Butte. We're ripping down a wash and it comes to a narrows section. The tracks keep going, no signs, nothing. Now I had heard that they closed the wash/narrows and it's route to Lake Mead, but once again it didn't show closed on my map or with a sign. Guess what, we kept going and saw about a dozen 4 wheelers down in there. Later I found it it is definately closed but it'll never stick. It's too remote and too fun so unless they actively police it it'll get ridden every weekend. Whats the point?

What about our local Cold Creek area? There is a loop that goes around the mtn that has been a favorite of mine for over 10 years and a local fav for more than 20+ years. We're out there last month and suddenly there are big boulders placed at the popular section to drop around the ridge. Guess what? Right next to the boulders is a new route formed by local riders going around the boulders. If the FS is going to arbitrarily close routes w/o discussion than I can exercise my free will to ride it anyways and run the risk of getting fined. And it was blatantly obvious that we were'nt the first nor will we be the last. Does this make me an ass? Am I shooting myself in the foot? Maybe. But one can only do so much and I feel a little civil disobediance here and there is warranted.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by SportSawyer View Post
    Actually, it's NOT shown. Read this again: "ONLY USE ROADS & TRAILS SHOWN ON THE OFFICIAL MAP". If it was shown on the "map booklet", it'd be on pages 3B & 4B. The northern Skyline is shown on pages 3A, 3B, and 4A. I don't like the "map booklet" format either, they make it nearly impossible to plan a trip unless each page is de-collared and taped together. Don't complain to me, complain to the Ogden RD. I'm just telling you the facts.

The adjacent Logan RD uses the 24" x 34" format, which is much more usable, see:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5103212.pdf

Like it or not, the MVUM, in either format, is the legal document of what's open to what uses and when (note the seasonal closure on the northern Skyline).

While I generally and whole heartedly agree with what you are saying, the forrest service sign at the top of that trail mentioned no closure. If we get up there, have a change of plans (we originally planned to ride over Ben Lomond, but some of us were too worn out, some were short on fuel, etc) so our plan changed mid-ride, and we find a FS sign indicating that as a legal trail and it's obviously been used, then you bet I'll ride it and not think twice about it.

It's good to be educated and I appreciate it, but there is more to a closure than marking a check box. Also, according to those "official" maps, it shows many parts of the Skyline trail as a motorcycle only trail...so those hikers and mnt. bikers on the trail are in the wrong??? I don't see any mention of a blanket include for mnt. bikers or hikers. So what is North Fork open to? Foot traffic only? It's not on the "official" map so it can't be open to mnt bikers, right. They're as much motorized travel as I am on my bike.