Thread: Provo Peak, the easy way.

Provo Peak, the easy way.

Left AF @ 5:30 this morning with some friends. He had his 8 year old and I had my 9 year old.
    At the trailhead @ 6:30
    Peak @ 9:45
    trailhead @ 1:00

My boy could only find an old crappy pair of Walmart boots that were too small. I had no idea how big of a problem that would turn out to be. 40 minutes into the hike he was wanting to take off his boots and had blisters forming on his heals. I gave him the option of turning around and he said "the only way I am not going to the top is if they have to carry me off." He has been watching an Discovery Channel Alaska "Out of the wild" series with me lately and stole the line.

I was concerned that there would be alot of route finding and scrambling based on some trip reports, but the trail was very obvious from Sqaw Peak Road all the way to the Summit. Thanks to whoever blocked the 4 wheeler road with rocks and made a very large rock arrow pointing the way.

This hike is a great bang for the buck. Does not take long to start getting incredible views, but you earn it as its pretty steep the entire way.

I figure you could make the summit in 2.0 to 2.5 hours fairly easily without kids. I would say it is doable for most kids who have hiked before.

We were in the shade from the mountain the entire way to the peak. Good thing as there is little to no shade to be found on the trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Way to go, Jonboy Junior! That last photo's a good one! Sounds like he's got a good attitude. How are his heels?

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    You have a trooper with that one! Kudos
    Chere'

2700' vertical in under two miles.. poor kid.

Hiking the same route last year we made it up in two hours and down in one. The only reason I did it this second time was because we took a longer route the first trip and I had to convince my self that it was not that bad... I was wrong, It was.

I was thinking it was a relatively easy hike. But I was comparing it to Timp, Box Elder, and Lone Peak.
    For some reason the Box Elder hike seemed just brutal.
    I did not even realize it was 2700' in less than 2 miles. That is pretty danged steep.

Looking at the pic of the trailhead from the summit it does look quite steep!!!!!!

Now to find a great little backpack trip close to home for the boys and I. Ages 5 and 9 this time.