Thread: Pine Creek Keyhole Walk-ins

Pine Creek Keyhole Walk-ins

So i know that these two are walk in only's. Does anyone know how fast they are getting gobbled up on friday morning. I have a guy that was planning on grabing me some permits next friday for one or both canyons but i would hate to have him go through the trouble of getting them for me if they are just going to be gone when he gets there. He probably wont get to the window till 10 or 11 friday morning. Unless any of you guys feel like doing that those canyons Sat and feel like having 2 guys tag along. i'll pay for your permit.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    last i heard keyhole was closed

Keyhole is open. I think they closed it for a couple of days some time ago for parking issues but right now it's open. I went through pine creek a few days ago and it was a blast, almost full of water from the floods last week. I love it when there's lots of water in it. I imagine Keyhole it almost topped of as well.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    last i heard keyhole was closed
    Both Pine Creek and Keyhole are open. Parking can be a bit of an issue, lots of road machinery spread out through the road.

How did it go??

Tom

nice to hear it's open again.

I was there last friday morning, I got there at 7:30 (only looking for narrows camping permit) there were 20-30 people in line! FWIW the guy right in front of us got pinecreek permits (2) I have no idea how many were left but I would bet they will be gone by 9 or so...What day are you looking to go? I am looking to go soon and I can go pull permits ( I don't mind standing in line.) If you looking for another guy to go..
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

thinking about sat. but my plans have changed and i have to work now but maybe soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
    I was there last friday morning, I got there at 7:30 (only looking for narrows camping permit) there were 20-30 people in line! FWIW the guy right in front of us got pinecreek permits (2) I have no idea how many were left but I would bet they will be gone by 9 or so...What day are you looking to go? I am looking to go soon and I can go pull permits ( I don't mind standing in line.) If you looking for another guy to go..
    Pine Creek rarely sells out - OK, maybe on a Friday, or Saturday...

My recent daze at the permit window were weekdays, and there was little competition. Had to take Spry rather than Mystery. 5:15 got me first in line. 6:15 got me third in line, behind the guy who got my Mystery permits.

Reserve on line. Simple, easy, 5$.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Pine Creek rarely sells out - OK, maybe on a Friday, or Saturday...

My recent daze at the permit window were weekdays, and there was little competition. Had to take Spry rather than Mystery. 5:15 got me first in line. 6:15 got me third in line, behind the guy who got my Mystery permits.

Reserve on line. Simple, easy, 5$.

Tom
    You can't reserve Keyhole or Pinecreek right?
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
    You can't reserve Keyhole or Pinecreek right?
    Oh yeah, I forgot. Road construction... they don't know when it will be open and when not... Kinda.

T

Conditions

Speaking of Keyhole, anyone know what it is like in there?

My fiance and I are heading over tonight and tomorrow to take care of some business. I was thinking of taking a quick run through Keyhole. Just curious if you think wetsuits are really necessary.... I was through earlier in the year without one, but a little chilly. Not sure how much water is still in there with all the recent rain.

This would be her first canyon, and I sure wouldn't want to make her first canyon experience to miserable... I am trying to convince her that this is fun.

Thanks in advance!

Do you know if you can get a permit for Pine Creek at the Kolob Fingers visitors center? I assume they open at the same time as the back country desk at the main entrance. I've picked up my permits there after making reservations online.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw View Post
    Do you know if you can get a permit for Pine Creek at the Kolob Fingers visitors center? I assume they open at the same time as the back country desk at the main entrance. I've picked up my permits there after making reservations online.
    Yes you can pick up permits at Kolob VC. No it opens later than the main VC back country desk. Kolob is currently open from 8 AM to 5PM

generally they take longer to issue the permit since they don't have the practice. but I've never played 20 questions with a ranger there and I've never had to wait behind a tourist asking a million questions before making up his/her mind on which permit. so over all your total time getting the permit may be shorter. ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by tfowles View Post
    Speaking of Keyhole, anyone know what it is like in there?

My fiance and I are heading over tonight and tomorrow to take care of some business. I was thinking of taking a quick run through Keyhole. Just curious if you think wetsuits are really necessary.... I was through earlier in the year without one, but a little chilly. Not sure how much water is still in there with all the recent rain.

This would be her first canyon, and I sure wouldn't want to make her first canyon experience to miserable... I am trying to convince her that this is fun.

Thanks in advance!
    I would take wetsuits.
    . . .

Didn't have to worry about the wetsuits.

We walked up the permit desk this morning around 9:30 to try and get a Keyhole permit for this afternoon. They were out. I have never had a problem in the past... I guess this canyoneering thing is getting popular.

Quote Originally Posted by tfowles View Post
    Didn't have to worry about the wetsuits.

We walked up the permit desk this morning around 9:30 to try and get a Keyhole permit for this afternoon. They were out. I have never had a problem in the past... I guess this canyoneering thing is getting popular.
    I would assume its because you really wanted to go

I caught word that they just closed Pine Creek and are hoping to get it opened again in a few days. They said that they needed to get with the construction crew about access. Heads up if you are planning on going this weekend.

Yeah i heard that the park was full a people this last weekend becuase it was the last weekend before school lets back in. Probably why there were no permits. I might try to sneek up there maybe thursday or friday to get pine creek permit we'll have to see how things go. I have to go to mesquite anyways to get my Drivers licence renewed. The dmv's here in vegas take about 4 hours to get anything done so i figure i could go to mesquite get it renewed and be in zion by the time i would get it done here.