Thread: The Black Hole (Aug 21)

The Black Hole (Aug 21)

Cody and I had been talking about fishing in the Uintas but today we were talking about how we'd like to get a warm weather descent of the Black Hole before deciding if we want to try it with the Freeze Fest nuts.
    So we're going to run down there next Friday afternoon, Descend the Black Hole Saturday (the 21st), find something to hike Sunday and come home Sunday afternoon (actually, we might stay through Monday afternoon, depends).
    Anyone going to be in the area or want to meet us?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Alright, staying through Monday isn't going to work; we'll have to drive back Sunday afternoon. Anyone...?

It's on my list but need to check schedule. Something is nagging me about this weekend and I'm unsure what it is yet.

Still hope to pull this off but the weather forecast says Heavy Rain & flash flood watch for this afternoon, 30% chance of rain Thursday, 20% chance Friday and Slight Chance Saturday. Does it seem reasonable to think we'll be able to do the Black Hole Saturday or should we start planning for our alternative to be the primary?

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...=255&map.y=287

Name:  weather..JPG
Views: 247
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  weatherII..JPG
Views: 257
Size:  170.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    the Freeze Fest nuts.
    WELL!!!! I have been called a lot of names in my time but this is by far the nicest thing you have ever called me. I just can't see how this trip in the summer could possibly be any fun at all without the very real threat of hypothermia or slipping and falling to your death on the icy exit hike.

Looking at the report, as of today, I would go with a serious eye to the sky when you drop in. Get an early start. There are some spots near the entrance/exit where you can get a pretty good view of the sky for a long way. Watch the radar before you go and notice which way the clouds are coming in.
    I know you will continue to watch the reports as we all know they change day to day.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    WELL!!!! I have been called a lot of names in my time but this is by far the nicest thing you have ever called me. I just can't see how this trip in the summer could possibly be any fun at all without the very real threat of hypothermia or slipping and falling to your death on the icy exit hike.

Looking at the report, as of today, I would go with a serious eye to the sky when you drop in. Get an early start. There are some spots near the entrance/exit where you can get a pretty good view of the sky for a long way. Watch the radar before you go and notice which way the clouds are coming in.
    I know you will continue to watch the reports as we all know they change day to day.
    Uh, well, but... for the Black Hole, that is definitely NOT the whole story.

White Canyon is a very large and very long system. The Black Hole is at the END of that system. Heavy rain the evening before at Natural Bridges / Bears Ears area takes 12 -18 hours to get to the Black Hole. So if it rains there the night before, the flash flood hits the Black Hole around noon the next day - just as you committed you and your group to getting through the Black Hole.

So be VERY VERY careful. Watch the weather report and radar carefully. personally, the Black Hole seems like a bad choice when the Monsoon is on the prowl.

Tom

Good call Tom... Thanks for the reminder. In case anyone hasn't read this, here is the link of just such an event that Tom is referring to.

http://climb-utah.com/CM/blackhole1.htm
    Life is Good

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    To add to what Tom has stated. Not only is the main drainage huge, there are dozens of side canyons also. A direct hit on any one of them could sink your ship.
    Looking at the forecast, I'd opt for another day, but that's just me.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I hear what you all are saying but I'd still make the drive check the weather early that morning and look at precip the day before and go if it looked good. The report shows that Friday is 20% before noon and nada in the afternoon and evening. Just me and I am just looking at what is forcast as of TODAY. Tomorrow this whole thing may change for Friday and Saturday, for better or worse.
    Life is Good

Thanks for the advice responses. We're not bailing out yet, going to watch the weather & forecast close tomorrow, but it seems unlikely that we'll go. Backup plans being discussed include backpacking & fishing in the Uintas, another try at Lone Peak or maybe the Swell or Zion. It's all up in the air and that's kind of fun too. Usually the best trips are spur of the moment, unplanned or when plans go off-itinerary.

Not going to happen. We'll be hiking Timp or Lone Peak this weekend... figure it out tomorrow.

Ya, I'd wait till there was ice and snow. Way too hot to be doing the Black Hole.
    Life is Good