View Poll Results: Where do you store your photos online? (check all that apply)

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Picasaweb

7 53.85%
  • Flickr

3 23.08%
  • Facebook

4 30.77%
  • Webshots

1 7.69%
  • Photobucket

2 15.38%
  • Imageshack

0 0%
  • other

2 15.38%
  • Bogley

2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Free Photo Hosting - Comparison

Free Photo Hosting - Comparison

I've mainly been using Picasa, but dabble in Flickr every now and again. Here are some notes regarding the free versions of both.

Picasa (picasaweb) - I always edit & optimize my photos in the picasa client anyways so it's very convenient to upload right to my web albums at the same time.

Note - you only get 1 GB of storage in your free account, so resize your pictures and you'll be able to store 20X more photos there. I've got 45 albums right now and I'm only using 30% of my limit.

Embedded picasaweb slideshow on any site doesn't look as good as Flickr.

Easier linking to and downloading photos from picasaweb than flickr

Flickr - Now you can have unlimited sets with a free account, but only your latest 200 photos will show in your photostream. You do get 100 MB of uploads per month. But again resize your photos, you'll get 20X more the uploads. (if you're not concerned with showing a photo larger than the monitor.

Slideshow looks awesome, has a lot of controls, very professional looking.

What do you guys use?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Picasa, all the way. 200 photos, versus 1 GB of photos? No contest.
    Blog | FB

My top 3 are Picasa, Picasa and Picasa. I spend $5/year for 20GB storage. I currently have 104 albums (some are full res, so people I was on trips with can download them) and am using 2.76GB.

Flickr pro owns them all.

I have never liked any of the hosting sites. It seems like the most popular are the worst. I have always hosted and posted my own.

Richard, Your photos would get a lot more traction on a large photo community. Just sayin'...

The poll failed to mention smugmug.com, which is a really nice site.

I always feel like a kindergartner designed the Picasa page layout. I used to look at Udinks photos on almost a daily basis and after he moved everything to picasa I check them out about once a month.

How much traffic do you guys see on your picasa accounts?
    My flicker stream is always picking up more an more views (should have half a million by the end of this year) from both within Flickr and Google hits.

I posted this shot literally 2min ago - http://www.google.com/search?q=Timp+Waterfall+8.14.2010

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I just started using picasa because you guys came up with the easy and convenient way to post a slide show. It seems cumbersome. I like how easy it is to upload several photos at one time like you can on facebook. But it doesn't really matter to me right now what sight I use as long as I can share. I do like picasa because I send the link to my mother and she can see what we have been up too.
    Chere'

I do like picasa's storage policy, unlimited sets if you can just keep it all under a GB. But I do like Flickr's slideshow better.

By the way, use Flickr Uploadr to upload mass photos at once - http://www.flickr.com/tools/uploadr/

Here are the tutorials on picasa and flickr slideshows:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...28picasaweb%29
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ickr-Slideshow

and coming soon, webshots: (It's possible now, just no tutorial yet)
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-from-webshots

I've been using SmugMug for image hosting with amazing services. I've never experienced a problem there . For cheap and best email hosting i tried Dreamhost and wasn't satisfied, so i switched to theemailshop and i won't be switching again because of excellent service and cost effective.