Thread: buying a boat ?

buying a boat ?

i have been looking at cheap lil' aluminum fishing boats to buy and have a few q's. info n advice would be much appreciated since i know nothing at all.

wondering mostly about how a boat and/or trailer is tagged and titled. hows that work ? and what other expenses might i incur to get it to and on the water ?
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i think the trailer is licensed registered with your local dmv. the boat is usually registered (not neccessairly licensed) with your state dept. of recreation, or whoever controls the navigable waterways. other expenses could include launch fees for recreation areas, the motor, fishing gear, life jackets and other required safety gear.. but the big one is gonna that gym membership to get the hot cuties on board.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post
    wondering mostly about how a boat and/or trailer is tagged and titled. hows that work ? and what other expenses might i incur to get it to and on the water ?
    Hey J!
    I can't tell you what Nevada would be like, but I just bought a boat this summer in Utah and here is what I have had to fork out.

If the boat has a gas powered engine it has to be registered just like a car through the DMV. The trailer for a boat that size wouldn't need to be registered in Utah.
    If the boat needs to be registered, they may require you to have insurance on it. (may be a good idea any way).

Safety equipment required by law. Life jackets for everyone on board, bailing device (bucket or bilge pump), throwable flotation object, alternate source of propulsion (paddle), Horn. If you are getting a boat big enough to ski behind then you also need an orange warning flag.

The other expenses would be trip specific ie. most places have launch fees or entrance fees. Maybe someone with a few more years of boating experience can elaborate more on these. I invested in putting together a small kit of items to have on hand to keep my trips out good (simple tools, extra plugs etc.)

Boating is as fun as Canyoneering and if you hit the right spots we can do them simultaneously. Good luck J. Holler at me next time your up this way.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post
    and what other expenses might i incur to get it to and on the water ?

As someone who has owned five boats in his lifetime I'll make this really simple for ya..... think of a boat as a Black Hole in the water that you constantly throw money down and you will have a grasp of what boat ownership is all about....

And don't tell me it's just a little boat.... that's the same as saying it's just a little black hole....

I noticed Canyonbug missed a couple items that he might want to put on the list as a new boat owner....

Don't forget to winterize your boat! This includes adding stabilizer to the fuel and fogging the motor.... And repack your wheel bearings every fall after you use the boat for the last time. If you don't you will find rust in them come spring, even if you already use bearing buddies. I'm sure you are like me and see hundreds of boaters standing along side the highway every summer with the family standing around staring at one of the wheels.... those are the guys that didn't repack their wheel bearings.

I also didn't see paddle, anchor and ropes anywhere on the list above.

*ugh*

just reading that stuff seemed to take an eternity. having to actually follow thru on those w/ action just seems unbearable. i need to find a girlfreind to take care of crap like this so i can just reap the benefits of the fun.

all i want is a small aluminum john boat w/ oars, and a small outboard for longer distances so i can putter up n down from bullfrog/halls and slay slots on those rare occasions i can. and do some general exploring and relaxing on mead and powell both. jr would crawl out of his room and join me for relaxin' so that would be nice.

looks like i got some decisions to make.

thanks all !

hey jared. i may be up around capitol reef finishing some things (finally), and a beta'd or 2 depending on time, around mid october if you'd be game, one th-su or another.
    signature

Hey Ice!

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug View Post
    .... alternate source of propulsion (paddle),....
    Although, yeah I missed the anchor and ropes.

I have heard that boat ownership is not a poor man's hobby. Starting to believe it, but man is it fun to put on the skis and hit some wakes. I have wanted a boat for 15 years and this is how long it has taken to get one.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug View Post
    Boating is as fun as Canyoneering and if you hit the right spots we can do them simultaneously. .
    I 100% agree with this. I'm hoping to have a boat sometime in May next year. Looking for a 21'-23'
    Once obtained, I'm not sure I'll be able to leave Lake Powell.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Hahaha..... Boating is certainly something that can get into your blood.... the wife and kids are always trying to talk me into buying anther boat. And just when I start thinking it's a good idea I remember how much work they are.... you can find some awesome deals on boats right now with the economy in the toilet. A lot of people are really hurting for money and toys are a bargain.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Goofball
    I was working on a deal for this boat, but my financing fell through. I can put you in touch if this is what your looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?