Thread: Backpacking/boat camping ideas w/ my 8 year old son.

Backpacking/boat camping ideas w/ my 8 year old son.

My 8 year old son wants to go backpacking. I took him to Little Lyman in June and caught a ton of fish, but he was disappointed that we could drive there, and he did not get to use his new pack. So I am looking for a good spot w/in a 2 to 3 hour drive or so of Ogden to pack in lets say like 2 miles. (good fishing is always a bonus) As well I think I could convince him to throw our gear on the 2 man pontoon for some boat camping if anyone knows of a good spot for that. Any help would be great. This would be for next weekend.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How great your kid wants to go backpacking!

About 250 miles from you are the Green River Lakes in the Wind Rivers. Maybe better when he's a tad older? I don't know.
    This has boating, fishing, hiking and camping all not too far from the trailhead. There's a nice sandy beach at the end of the first lake that's good for swimming or exploring the beach. The Green River itself has good fat trout, even those that have never fished before could catch something. There are trails on both sides of the lake and another that takes off to the east to a natural bridge that an 8 year old could do just fine. Either backcountry camp or come back to the developed campground at the end of the day. Also free camping all along the Green just before you get to the developed campground.

Otherwise - Tony Grove Lake to White Pine Lake? Tony Grove you drive right to, but you can put a boat and fish on this lake. Then hike to White Pine Lake about 3.5 miles in. Fairly level until the last part. But my coworker has done it before with his 4 year old as an overnight trip and they aren't backpackers generally speaking. Established sites around White Pine and an outdoor privy. Fish at White Pine.

http://www.uen.org/utahlink/tours/to...egory_id=17006
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I didn't think there were fish in white pine. Good to know.

I would recommend the Trial Lake area in the Uintas. The shear quantity of lakes there seems like it would make things easy as you would have many options if your son wasn't enjoying the length of the trip or if you wanted to go further. The Clyde Lake loop in particular would be excellent, that loop passes you by a ton of lakes with even more if you venture off the trail just a bit. I'm not sure of this but I think the whole loop is somewhere in the vicinity of 5 miles which is pretty close to a 2 miles in-2 miles out trip but you don't have to see the same thing twice!

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I didn't think there were fish in white pine. Good to know.!
    I can't say there are from experience, but some Google searches came up with these comments specifically about White Pine Lake:

"You can catch many of the most beautiful brook trout I've ever seen in Utah, some going up to 14 inches."

"
    The trail and lake are virtually the same as when I started going there in the 1950s with Dad, my favorite place to go for a fishing trip"

"
    Don't bother with the fishing, there are very few fish"

I have fished white pine a few times with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I didn't think there were fish in white pine. Good to know.

I would recommend the Trial Lake area in the Uintas. The shear quantity of lakes there seems like it would make things easy as you would have many options if your son wasn't enjoying the length of the trip or if you wanted to go further. The Clyde Lake loop in particular would be excellent, that loop passes you by a ton of lakes with even more if you venture off the trail just a bit. I'm not sure of this but I think the whole loop is somewhere in the vicinity of 5 miles which is pretty close to a 2 miles in-2 miles out trip but you don't have to see the same thing twice!

Thanks for the insight. I think we are going to try the Trial lake Cliff lake area. Just checking to see if I can drive a car to the trailhead, or do I need my tahoe? Thanks

Yeah, anything with wheels will get you there... nothing worse than gravel.