Thread: Mount Torment- July 2010

Mount Torment- July 2010

The peak had stared us down for years. Receding glaciers had made it much
    harder. Rarely in condition. Seven years ago, Ziff, melon, Stevee B and I took
    the rarely visited NW ridge to the top on a full pack carry over. Lots of
    exposed 5.7. We took a picture of our register entry, from then, last month
    when I returned to the summit. See it in this album.

This time, we tried the south ridge, which is really not a ridge climb at all.
    Ziff and I had tried it 2 years before and turned back on steep, chossy rock,
    uncertain we were on route. This year, buoyed by Aaron and his skill and
    boldness, it was time for another crack. Jenny deferred, knowing that no one
    wanted to lead a second rope and the 3 of us, Ziff, Aaron and I set off. I
    turned out that Ziff WAS on route two years ago. Its just a scary spot. In fact
    the whole dern thing was scary, with loose rock and an intense series of raps,
    carefully done to get off this mountain. A mountain I am very happy to have DONE
    again!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/MtTormentJuly2010#

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Excellent trip report and photos. Thanks for posting!

Very cool to find your old summit register entry. I led my first pitch of scary (for me at least) trad yesterday. Friction slab with bad feet and only a small finger crack for hands and pro. I feel pretty confident on .12's sport climbing, but 5.8 slab with nothing to catch me but mini stoppers when I'm not too expiereinced at placing them... that's a whole different game! I'm sure you were glad to have Aaron along to lead the scary stuff. Really enjoying the pics Ram, as I do every year.

I would be with Jenny - you guys are nuts!

#9 This is an incredible view. There is such a contrast between the green of the trees and the white of the snow with such a steep - YIKES!

#11 *like*

#13 Very observant and creative.

#35 Very cool that you were able to see your other entry. Although there are many that do not like registers, I like registers. I think they are a living historical document. I love repeating a hike just to visit the register. I usually carry a replacement book just incase the current book is full. In the past, I've never kept a record of hiking trips. These registers are the only written record of my past trips. I love revisiting the comments such as how long it took us to get to the top, weather, and companionship.

#46 Impressive talent!

#48 Marmot - so cute!

...off to the next set of photos. Awesome!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    I would be with Jenny - you guys are nuts!

#9 This is an incredible view. There is such a contrast between the green of the trees and the white of the snow with such a steep - YIKES

#13 Very observant and creative.

#35 Very cool that you were able to see your other entry. Although there are many that do not like registers, I like registers. I think they are a living historical document. I love repeating a hike just to visit the register. I usually carry a replacement book just incase the current book is full. In the past, I've never kept a record of hiking trips. These registers are the only written record of my past trips. I love revisiting the comments such as how long it took us to get to the top, weather, and companionship.

#46 Impressive talent!
    ...off to the next set of photos. Awesome!

Actually Jenny would have loved to go, knowing her, but she is a generous soul. The #9 picture shows how all the slopes are there. Its why we never go anywhere without ski poles. In #13 I couldn't get the image of the shrunken head in Beetleguise out of my own head. As for the register, the peak is climbed infrequently enough that only a dozen pages filled in the 7 years and two weeks and some of the names in the book are pretty well known. Talk about posing! As for #46, I hear it is genetic and neither my wife nor I....HEH!

I am enjoying your critique of the different albums. Thanks

Very cool TR and pics. Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed reading.