Thread: Making Slings

Making Slings

Since I'm new, I can't link to it, but do a google search for "pull tests 11/98 search and rescue" and it's the first result.

Mod Note: Here is the link http://www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/test...sts_11_98.html

Interesting especially was the 1" webbing strengths when tied in a water knot (4980 lbs) vs double fishermans (6210). Especially interesting was the home machine sewed slings (5260 and 5920, this test was done twice) vs professionally sewed (4720 and 4730).

Is it more useful to just travel with precut lengths of webbing or to have them tied off already?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It depends how you intend to use the slings. Carrying one or two 48" slings will come in handy for quick connections, ascending, etc. Uses will tend to be for body weight only, so the net (after knot or bar tacks) strength won't be an issue.

Other than that, carrying one long piece of webbing will prove to be more versatile. Don't cut it into precut lengths. You will encounter an anchor that could have been rigged with (example) 16.5 feet of webbing. Your 10-footer will be too short, so you will be forced to use one of your 20-footers. Maybe there will be a use for the other 3.5 feet later in the canyon. Carry one 50-foot piece and you can cut off exactly the 16.5 feet you need.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Quote Originally Posted by DaneDane View Post
    Is it more useful to just travel with precut lengths of webbing or to have them tied off already?
    I usually do a mix of both. For most "non-standard" canyon type trips, I tuck 50 feet of spare webbing in a ziplock, which usually never sees the light of day. Then, I carry a mix of pre-tied and standard sewn shoulder length slings. For a trip where I think I'll be doing a ton of rigging (and leaving webbing), I carry a double shoulder length or two which are tied.

Most all my webbing that I carry on my person (or in the top of my pack) is pre-tied with a water knot, cinched down enough that I could use it on the fly if need be, and, not worry too much about the knot. Very rarely do I carry a piece with a loose EDK style knot but will if I know ahead of time I'll need it on steep terrain for anchoring/installing a rappel anchor.

So...I guess..."it depends (TM)".

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

x2

What Brian said is also about how I roll....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    "it depends (TM)".
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags