Thread: I *was* thinking of going to Green River Lakes this weekend...

I *was* thinking of going to Green River Lakes this weekend...

I love to do a canoe camping trip on the Green River Lakes in August. I'm usually nervous about the bears in general. It's Federally Designated Grizzly Habitat, and if you're going to see bear in the Winds they say this is the area.

But then these two articles from last month really have me sketched out!

Grizzly sightings prompt Upper Green River closing

http://billingsgazette.com/news/stat...cc4c03286.html

Green camping open after grizzlies vanish

http://westinstenv.org/news/2010/07/20/green-camping-open-after-grizzlies-vanish/

I think it's guaranteed that I won't sleep!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ten years back or so (the last time I was up there) we saw a black bear. It was in the sagebrush across the river as we were driving in, so far off.

Are you camping at the campground or canoeing across both lakes before you camp?

One thing- the rangers up there can be pretty fierce too. Bring a GPS and know your rights in regards to camping and distances from trails and water. That way, if they give you a hard time just sit and take it until they go, then go and talk with every other group they passed along the way in. Get GPS coordinates for the campsites and note their proximity to the trails and water, also get names & numbers. Odds are, the other sites are going to be too close to the trail or lake. Further odds are the rangers probably won't ticket everyone. If they haven't, you can go to a judge and ask for your case/fine to get kicked out. Selective enforcement is one thing that gets me mad!
    Oh- don't forget to get the ranger's names and badge numbers- nothin' like informed citizens handing it back to them...

I usually paddle up past both lakes, and pull my canoe up stream as far as I want then camp where it's flat (and away from trail/water). So if there were a ban STILL I'm sure I'd be past the 5 mile radius.

Camping is allowed currently, but it just scares me to be in an area that had so many sightings they closed it just to be safe.

I have visions of my doggie getting ripped to shreds.

Yeah- that's what we'd do to- cross both lakes than as far up as possible. Good times!

You mentioned in another thread that you're nervous about going up there this year. Are you still doing a canoe trip though? A few I've wanted to do are Fremont Lake --> Long Lake --> Upper Long Lake, and the Green River between Fontenelle Dam and the city of Green River.

We are discussing what to do right now. I still want to go up there, my boyfriend has never seen GRL before. Maybe camp lower and do day trips in? We wanted to hike Square Top which would be nice to start if we are camping in the field below it.

I will call the ranger station today to get the latest update on the bear situation.

The lady who answered the phone at the ranger station said that she has not heard of any additional bear sightings since last month. It was one bear who was getting into food. She is unaware if it was transported or if it moved on by itself.

Sounds like one bear not a pack of grizzlies like I was envisioning.

Maybe we'll go for it.

Trip is on!

I've decided to board my dog at the new pet hotel. It's fun to take her along on trips, but now I won't have to worry about her attracting a bear or anything.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Have fun Shan!