Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wadi Feid, Jordan, summer 2010

Wadi Feid, Jordan, summer 2010

Since we've been asked to do a trip report of a canyon in Jordan, here is a report on Wadi Feid, the last Wadi we did in Jordan ("wadi" suppose to mean in Arabic a river which doesn't have a perennial stream, even though some Wadies - like Wadi Feid - do have perennial stream).

Wadi Feid is located approximately halfway between the Dead Sea and the Red Sea (Eilat / Aqaba), and like most of the canyons in Jordan (and Israel - our home country) it goes down from the mountains to the Great Rift Valley (geological depression that stretches from Syria, along the valley of the Jordan River and the Red Sea, to Mozambique).

The canyon has 11 waterfalls, 2 of them can be bypassed, and 9 must be rappelled. It goes down from app. 1,350 meters (4,500 ft) above sea level, to (more or less) Sea level, into the Arava Valley (the valley that goes form the Dead Sea to the Red Sea, and forms the southern border between Israel and Jordan). Most of the "elevation fall" is in the waterfalls section, which is a mile long.

OK, enough talking. here are some pics.

Going down the canyon, before the water emerge from the ground:

Name:  DSCF7811..JPG
Views: 1459
Size:  317.8 KB

Walking alongside an old Nabatic aqueduct (400 BC - 100 AC):

Name:  DSCF7812..JPG
Views: 1362
Size:  362.5 KB

The highest waterfall in the canyon - 60m (200ft):

Name:  DSCF8017..JPG
Views: 1399
Size:  208.2 KB

and here are some pics of the canyon itself:

Name:  P6180917..jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  DSCF7935..JPG
Views: 1214
Size:  163.7 KB

Name:  P6180896..JPG
Views: 1270
Size:  424.9 KB

Name:  DSCF7819..JPG
Views: 1318
Size:  242.8 KB

Name:  DSCF7840..JPG
Views: 1202
Size:  176.4 KB

Name:  DSCF7879..JPG
Views: 1542
Size:  254.8 KB

Name:  P6180910..JPG
Views: 1189
Size:  418.0 KB

Name:  DSCF7990..JPG
Views: 1202
Size:  184.3 KB

Name:  DSCF7932..JPG
Views: 1179
Size:  203.3 KB

Name:  DSCF7853..JPG
Views: 1171
Size:  202.2 KB

Name:  DSCF7878..jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  P6180912..JPG
Views: 1178
Size:  413.3 KB

Name:  DSCF7991..JPG
Views: 1231
Size:  218.4 KB

Name:  DSCF7909..JPG
Views: 1179
Size:  218.4 KB

Name:  P6180914..JPG
Views: 1985
Size:  378.0 KB

Name:  DSCF8074..JPG
Views: 1200
Size:  174.2 KB

Name:  P6180898..JPG
Views: 1271
Size:  403.2 KB

Going out of the canyon, the water disappear and the air becomes hot.
    Needless to say, it gets ubbelievebly HOT once the canyon is fading into a shellow dry "river" (a Wadi), with tempratures between 40-45 C degrees (104-113 F):

Name:  zDSCF8117..JPG
Views: 1260
Size:  169.3 KB

A look to the Arava valley:

Name:  zDSCF8126..jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  60.6 KB

THE END

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great trip report, just never imagined canyons like that in the Middle East
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Nice pix! Thanks for sharing!
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Very nice canyon! Looking forward to other canyons you have done.
    Thanks for sharing
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Wow, beautiful looking canyon! How long did it take? It looks like you brought camping gear. Are there any red tape/bureaucratic barriers to canyoneering there, or permits required?

Nat

Thanks everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Wow, beautiful looking canyon! How long did it take? It looks like you brought camping gear. Are there any red tape/bureaucratic barriers to canyoneering there, or permits required?

Nat

Yep, we slept between the waterfalls. Actually, it took us a bit less than 24 hours, so it can be done in one long day, but because we have to cross the border twice in normal hours, we didn’t try that.

About the permits – there are few national parks, in which you have to obtain a permit from the RSCN (the official authority in charge of the parks) in order to hike there. Getting such a permit is not easy (we never tried). All other places don’t require permits, even though the Jordanians always afraid that something horrible will happen to tourists, so sometimes, when they see our ropes in the border checks, they make us sign a written obligation that says we are not planning to hike in any river. Well, we sign these obligations and everybody is content with that.

Excellent! Feel free to post more reports about the canyons over there.

Wow, those are gorgeous photos! A really beautiful place. Thanks for sharing that!

Do they use helmets much, in the Middle East?
    - (Channeling Tom )

Wow, really great TR!

Got invited a few years back to do a climbing trip to Wadi Rum and also did some research on the canyons that flow into the Dead Sea. There's a British (I think?) guidebook available for canyoneering there? Also found a number of guides who do trips to the canyons? The gig I was looking at was guided by a friend of a friend who was Swiss. Hmmm...

A couple week trip, climbing, canyoning, seeing Petra, would punch my ticket for sure!

Cheers from the other River Jordan flowing into a Dead Sea (ha ha).

-Brian in SLC (Salty "Dead Sea" Lake City)

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    awesome TR

maybe we need to trade. I've got family property that boarders east Zion NP and the Grand Staircase NM. You can come stay and I'll show you some of our canyons if you show me some or yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    - (Channeling Tom )
    does his empire go that far?

Very cool trip report and pictures! Keep them coming. I would also be interested in knowing where someone could find information on canyons in the area...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Blog Entries
    Looks like a fun trip! I always love the water pics...

I hope your trip to Zion and Escalante go well! By the way, did you work out your canyon list while you are here? I'm curious to see what you have planed.

And one last question, you mentioned how most canyons go into the Great Rift Valley, and so, how many other canyons are in this area that are similar to the Wadi Feid?

Thanks!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Are my eyes tricking me or do I see the reflection in the water of a person at the top of a rappel in this pic

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachme...4&d=1281436173

Bottom right you can see the red shirt. That's pretty awesome.

Pretty awesome report. I had this canyon recommended by a local (well, Israel local, anyway) when we linked up for a trip through Das Boot a couple of years ago. It's great to see the mentioned scenic values.

FWIW, Brian, the book you're thinking about was written by Tony Howard. There is a newer one by Itai Haviv that covers many of the canyons there, but doesn't deal with climbing at Wadi Rum. 2 weeks? In my long term plans, fer sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Well, we do have helmets at home, but they are shy and don’t like direct sun light, so as considerate owners we give them a break unless they are really necessary.

Brian & Northernoutpost - There are 3 guidebooks that cover many of the canyons In Jordan (but not all of them, there are some canyons we've done, that are not mentioned in any book).

One is available only in Hebrew.

The second is Tony Howard's (the British guy) guidebook, which has a new edition (2009), but isn’t accurate nor detailed enough (quite the opposite of Tony's book about climbing in Wadi Ram, which is irreplaceable).

The third one is Itay Haviv's (an Israeli guy) guidebook, which is quite old (1999), but still great, and as Northernoutpost mentioned, it doesn’t cover climbing at all.

About guides, we know of one Jordanian company that does canyoneering, and several Israeli guides that take people into canyons in Jordan, but its not so common (strangely enough, Jordanians don’t hike, and most tourists don’t know about the (well kept secret of) the Jordanian canyons, so the canyons are pretty empty of people, except for Israeli who like to travel by their own).

those were very nice. i just knew that utah didn't have a monopoly on cool canyons. and i think the beautiful blonde needs to feature more prominently in your next trip report. but thats just me.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Looks like a fun trip! I always love the water pics...

I hope your trip to Zion and Escalante go well! By the way, did you work out your canyon list while you are here? I'm curious to see what you have planed.

And one last question, you mentioned how most canyons go into the Great Rift Valley, and so, how many other canyons are in this area that are similar to the Wadi Feid?

Thanks!

There are about 25 canyons with perennial stream in Jordan & Israel which goes to the Great Rift Valley, like Wadi Feid (the 4 canyons in Israel are not a good choice - one is polluted, one in the Western Bank and therefore not safe, and the two others are closed reservations). There are off course dozens of other canyons in the area, part of them are excellent canyons with potholes (not KPH). All the canyons are going down through different layers - first limestone, then sandstone, and then igneous rock. In Jordan, in most of the canyons the sandstone section is the main one, but in some, like Wadi Feid, the igneous rock section is the primary section. In Israel, the main section is limestone.

Regarding our trip - it depends on too many variations (permits, weather, etc.) but the general idea is to start at Zion (Echo, Das Boot & Subway, The Narrows, Fat Man's Misery, Mystery (if we could get a permit), Keyhole & Pine Creek, and maybe also Behunin, Spry or Telephone), try getting a permit to The Wave sometime between the Zion canyons, and afterwards continue to Escalante (Neon, Choprock & Egypt 3). The rest I guess we'll have to leave for next time (it may be too ambitious as it is, we'll see).

Awesome! Some of those pictures sure remind me of Utah canyons...amazing.

Great TR and photos and fantastic timing to post it. I'm in the middle of planning a short trip over Christmas break to Jordan and Egypt! I've been studying the canyons there but I think the weather will make technical canyoneering not feasible? Instead I'm thinking of some trekking or rock scrambling. We'll probably make use of a guiding service to maximize our time. Can I PM/email you with some more questions?
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"