Thread: High Uintas Overnighter Recommendations

High Uintas Overnighter Recommendations

I have a trip planned with my wife to go on an overnighter backpacking trip into the Uintas this week. My initial plan was to head to Meadow Lake or Abes Lake from the Trial Lake area. From what I've read, it seems those two may be pretty rocky with not many good campsite areas. Does anyone know from experience?

At this point I'm kind of open to suggestions as to where to go on an overnighter. My wife hasn't backapacked before, but we do plenty of day hikes. I'd like to keep the one way route to less than 8 miles. Last year my brothers and I went to Four Lakes Basin and it was beautiful, but a bit far for this year with my wife. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

JPWhite

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Duck Lake, which is reached via the Crystal Lake trailhead, near Trial has some real nice camping spots. That lake itself isn't real beautiful, but there are several other lakes within easy walking distance that are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Duck Lake, which is reached via the Crystal Lake trailhead, near Trial has some real nice camping spots. That lake itself isn't real beautiful, but there are several other lakes within easy walking distance that are.
    I agree, there are some nice lakes around there, island and wall lake are both pretty neat and have good sites (well under your milage though), or park at mirror lake and hike out to cubrant lake, its a pretty awesome place too
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

The naturalist basin is a great place - camp at Jordan lake, or look around for solitude. This area is real busy, but worth the effort - the hike in is just over 6 miles. Trips can me made on top of the cliffs above Jordan Lake to other above timberline lakes.

I have been to Meadow lake as well - campsites can be found on the East side, but this lake isn't real scenic, but the fishing is some of the best on the West side of the Mirror Lake highway. If you want easy scenery in the Trial Lake area go over Notch pass to Lovenia or Ibantik Lakes. Notch lake and other lakes off the Bald mountain trail are great easy backpacking with great camping areas as well. I once did the loop from Bald mountain around to Meadow lake, up Notch pass and then cross country back to the Bald Mountain trail - don't ever be tempted to do that - the cross country area was pretty rough.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'd been planning on Meadow Lake and if there are indeed campsites there, I'd just assume hit that up instead of plan something else. I was mostly just worried there weren't any decent camping sites. And if it's good fishing... all the better.

JPWhite

Look at Round/Sand/Fish Lakes on the Dry Fork of the Weber. One way is about 3-4 miles, but there is some elevation gain. The fishing is great. It's one of the best places to go for grayling in the Uintas.