Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Someone who obtained a Canyon Poaching Permit (ticket) last year told me it was $200 (if I remember correctly)... and was handled by dropping a check in the mail (same method as paying a parking ticket). If you want to fight the ticket you have to show up in court in St. George.

Permits for Camping in the Permit Line, which is really an illegal camping ticket are currently going for $50. I'm not exactly sure what creature comforts you can have with you in line before it's considered "camping". I know a tent and sleeping bag are over the line.... but not sure about a blanket and/or chair.... The group I know that received the camping ticket had a pad and sleeping bag with them. I'm guessing camping tickets might be somewhat at the rangers discretion/interpretation of the rule.....

The tickets mentioned above are actual tickets I know of.... your mileage may vary.....

Civil Disobedience and Zion Permits
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?39660

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Someone who obtained a Canyon Poaching Permit (ticket) last year told me it was $200 (if I remember correctly)... and was handled by dropping a check in the mail (same method as paying a parking ticket). If you want to fight the ticket you have to show up in court in St. George.

Permits for Camping in the Permit Line, which is really an illegal camping ticket are currently going for $50. I'm not exactly sure what creature comforts you can have with you in line before it's considered "camping". I know a tent and sleeping bag are over the line.... but not sure about a blanket and/or chair.... The group I know that received the camping ticket had a pad and sleeping bag with them. I'm guessing camping tickets might be somewhat at the rangers discretion/interpretation of the rule.....

The tickets mentioned above are actual tickets I know of.... your mileage may vary.....

Civil Disobedience and Zion Permits
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?39660
    Just spent some time there this morning... no line at 5 am, glad I did not come at 4!

The sign says "no bedding". I think chairs are acceptable. If they don't like my polarfleece sarong, I'll cut a slit in the middle and call it a poncho.

They are cracking down this year on permit violations. So, I would recommend extreme caution at the moment, unless you live is So Utah and would like to discuss things with the Federal Magistrate. Rumor on the street is that they have been told to ticket ALL members of the party, and they can go with a fine of up to $500.00, as a matter of citing officer's discretion (ie, how much lip you give em).

YMMV

One ticketed violation I know of this year was a boyscout troop of 16 in the Subway.... they obtained two permits for 8, but joined up soon after leaving the TH and became a group of 16. The troop ran into rangers sitting in the actual Subway section of the route and scout master recieved a ticket....

Last year (and things could have changed).... the $200 ticket was the maximum fine.... same as a parking or speeding ticket.... they are always based on maximum if you just write a check and drop it in the mail.... if they are issuing a ticket to everyone in the group that is an important new new wrinkle to be aware of......

"Just spent some time there this morning... no line at 5 am"
    YMMV is the key here. Its monday, hence rarely a line. When i hit the line @ 4:45 am on friday, july 30, i was number 11 in line.
    The lead guy had been there, sleeping in his chair, since 10 pm thursday.
    By 7 am there were twenty more behind me. it wasn't until 8 that i got to the window.
    heaven knows for the guys at the end of the line. so much for same day early starts.
    pretty grim for summer weakend permit seekers.

Quote Originally Posted by rick t View Post
    heaven knows for the guys at the end of the line. so much for same day early starts.
    pretty grim for summer weakend permit seekers.
    Use the Express Permit system to avoid standing in line. You have to watch a video and it's good for 2 years. I never stand in line for a weekday permit and rarely for a weekend (when the online permits are taken.) When you must stand in line, go to the Kolob office closer to Cedar City... no lines there.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    If they don't like my polarfleece sarong, I'll cut a slit in the middle and call it a poncho.

:
    Hey, they have this really cool new technical invention called a "Snuggie"! I'll send you one if you'd like. No one could mistake the leopard print for bedding. It is a fashion statement!
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Hey, they have this really cool new technical invention called a "Snuggie"!

Your Man Card!!!

Hand it over.....

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The sign says "no bedding".
    so would this be bedding?

Your Man Card!!!

Hand it over.....
    X2

You forgot the "a" or the "the" in your sentence. I believe you meant to type, "Your the man, Card" or "Your a man, Card". Of course it is You're and not "your" in that case. (We so need a sarcasm button around here. I was sooooo joking above. I own no Snuggies. But I am willing to send Tom one for the permit line just to see what the Rangers say and whether the blanket with sleeves constitutes "bedding" in their book.)
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    X2

Doooooooods..... I have so failed in my attempt at humor.... again....
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Doooooooods..... I have so failed in my attempt at humor.... again....
    you can't plead sarcasm to get your man card back

you can't plead sarcasm to get your man card back

Edit:

Hey, they have this really cool new technical invention called a "Snuggie"! I'll send you one if you'd like. No one could mistake the leopard print for bedding. It is a fashion statement!

err I mean
    Life is Good

you are a lawyer. your lies and half blooded Canadian super powers may have worked on iceaxe but not me.

tell you what since this thread is about Zion Permits let's have the zion bc rangers settle this. . .

Oh that's right you're from Mapelton. I guess we already know their answer. tag for sarcasm

you are a lawyer. your lies and half blooded Canadian super powers may have worked on iceaxe but not me.

Q: Do you know how to tell when a lawyer is lying?

A: His lips are moving....

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw View Post
    Use the Express Permit system to avoid standing in line. You have to watch a video and it's good for 2 years. I never stand in line for a weekday permit and rarely for a weekend (when the online permits are taken.) When you must stand in line, go to the Kolob office closer to Cedar City... no lines there.
    If you are standing in line it's because you want a walk-on permit that is hard to get - not because you fancy getting up at the butt-crack of dawn 2 days before you want to do your canyon.

The Kolob desk has no lines, but it also opens an hour later.

You can also extend your express system by one year by going in and talking to them - but I think you can only get a one-year extension once before you have to watch the video about how to bury poop again.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

tell you what since this thread is about Zion Permits let's have the zion bc rangers settle this. . .

Oh that's right you're from Mapelton. I guess we already know their answer. tag for sarcasm
    Mapleton!!!!! Bring on the rangers. Last encounter I had with the ranger he left me and I wasn't finished bellyachin' about the stupid system. He'd had enough reason, truth and enlightenment
    Life is Good

Q: Do you know how to tell when a lawyer is lying?

A: His lips are moving....

Hence, the reason I keep my mouth closed when I type.
    Life is Good