Thread: Need new gloves, what do you use?

Need new gloves, what do you use?

I've been using an old pair of heavy leather work gloves from Lowes for rappelling but they were so worn out that I had to use a pair of leather driving gloves this weekend.

Needless to say, they didn't provide enough protection and I had to lock myself off just to let my gloves and hands cool down.

Was wondering what most of you use? Are the specialty gloves worth the extra $$ or do I need to head back to Lowes?
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds like mabey you need more friction so you aren't burning your hands. Gloves aren't necessary for rappelling.

I wear latex dipped gloves while canyoneering to get a little more grip on the walls. Wearing them while rapping eats them up though.

Name:  atlas-fit-rubber-&.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  11.5 KB
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    Sounds like mabey you need more friction so you aren't burning your hands. Gloves aren't necessary for rappelling.

I wear latex dipped gloves while canyoneering to get a little more grip on the walls. Wearing them while rapping eats them up though.

Name:  atlas-fit-rubber-&.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  11.5 KB
    You'll find it's like rope bags - lots of people do the same thing, but a lot of others have different ideas, which work well for them, too.

As for me, I (and many others) use the gloves that Jaxx does, too. I don't always use them on rappels, though I will for a longer rap - just makes it easier to brake. They are great for friction against the wall - make downclimbing both easier and less abrasive on your hands. In the colder season, Atlas Thermo-Fit gloves do the trick. Get the real Atlas ones - I've used Walmart cheapies where the latex has peeled off in one canyon - not good.

Like Jaxx says - I'd look at the amount of friction your rappel device is providing, and possibly your rapping technique. You should be able to rappel without your hands getting hot. You may have too little friction, or may be rapping too fast (sort of inter-related). Fast, racy rappels are a whole different sport from the raps done in your usual Colorado Plateau canyons.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    I've been using an old pair of heavy leather work gloves from Lowes for rappelling but they were so worn out that I had to use a pair of leather driving gloves this weekend.

Needless to say, they didn't provide enough protection and I had to lock myself off just to let my gloves and hands cool down.

Was wondering what most of you use? Are the specialty gloves worth the extra $$ or do I need to head back to Lowes?
    Why do you want to wear gloves??

I think you will find that your long-term survival is enhanced by setting up your rappel device with "just the right amount of friction", which means enough friction that you can control your rappel using the rappel device, and with minimal force, squeeze, effort and burn in your hands. Thus gloves *should* not be necessary.

That said, individual style and taste vary widely. When training beginners, I and we (ZAC) and most others (ACA etc.) rappel without gloves so that students appreciate and can fine-tune their rappelling set-up choices. I consider the gloves to be a "backup" to setting up the rappel with the right amount of friction, and not a primary tool. In general, "Good technique = minimal usage of backup systems;" and I find the same true here, though I do end up with a fair amount of heat in my gloves perhaps more than I should.

For canyoneering, I found leather gloves got ruined fairly quickly, going in and out of water, and inevitably ending up in the bottom of my pack, wet, for two weeks before I unpacked from the last trip. I did not find them cost effective.

Which is why I carry the Atlas Thermofit gardening gloves - $6.99 a pair. There are many similar gloves out there which you can buy for less, but of this glove type, I found them the best. The thickness of the knit material makes them more comfortable and more durable. The grey dip-plastic coating is thicker, and less-sticky than many others. The normal blue coating is very sticky, so sticky it tends to stick to the rope too much, and makes rappelling with the gloves annoying and not-better than going barehanded. The grey stuff has some stick, but a good amount that allows the rope to slide through it. They are not particularly warm after they get wet, but they do dry reasonably quickly and don't rot. Toss em in the washer when they get dirty.

They are really good for canyons with a lot of climbing in them, because they keep your hand from getting dinged up. For rappelling, they work, but they don't last all that well. I have on occasion, through carelessly setting up my rappel rig too fast, chewed up a pair (or, at least, the right hand) of gloves in one 200 foot rappel.

However, if your style of canyoneering is primarily rappelling, and you are looking for a glove to slide the rope through and absorb some of the energy of your rap, the Atlas Thermofit gloves are not a good choice.

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    You'll find it's like rope bags - lots of people do the same thing, but a lot of others have different ideas, which work well for them, too.

As for me, I (and many others) use the gloves that Jaxx does, too. I don't always use them on rappels, though I will for a longer rap - just makes it easier to brake. They are great for friction against the wall - make downclimbing both easier and less abrasive on your hands. In the colder season, Atlas Thermo-Fit gloves do the trick. Get the real Atlas ones - I've used Walmart cheapies where the latex has peeled off in one canyon - not good.

Like Jaxx says - I'd look at the amount of friction your rappel device is providing, and possibly your rapping technique. You should be able to rappel without your hands getting hot. You may have too little friction, or may be rapping too fast (sort of inter-related). Fast, racy rappels are a whole different sport from the raps done in your usual Colorado Plateau canyons.
    Great minds think alike!

I've split discussion on the Piranha to this thread:

Using the Piranha

I'm a glove man. Probably just because I rappel faster then is prudent. In water I wear the atlas gloves in dry wear a basic leather glove. I like to wear them when in the canyon also for friction on the walls and to keep from beating up my hands. Since I already have them on I have always looked at it as why take them off when I get to the rappel? Yes you can always set up your device with enough friction but if your off it sure is nice to have the glove between you and splat.

how do you tell if you are going to fast on rappel? you hands are getting hot. i don't use gloves on rappel either, just for that reason. like others have said, once you have the proper friction you can control yourself easily without the need for gloves.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I've never worn gloves before, but my hands got torn up on my last canyoneer. I just bought a pair of 3mm diving gloves with Kevlar palms from Sport Chalet. We'll see how they do...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Why do you want to wear gloves??

Tom
    Well, the gig is up. I hate direct questions. I wear gloves because I am a desk jocky. I sit at a computer, do research, write stuff that no one wants to read, go to court, poke around bogley etc. My hands are frankly soft. So as I drag my hands on 120 grit sandstone walls, attempt to stem, down climb, up climb, rappel, boulder, hand line....etc, my hands hurt without gloves. There, I admitted it. Glad that is out in the open. But Hey, even John Wayne wore gloves when riding a horse. How hard was that...

Oh, I should add that I wear Atlas or similar gloves. I have tried all kinds of gloves including leather, synthetic leather, and without question, Atlas (or similar) gloves hold up the best. They also work as a pretty good measuring stick for whether I have enough friction on rappel. If I have worn all the rubber off the glove I probably went a bit quick. If you would like to see my gloves, please call ahead so I can purchase a new pair w/o burn marks to show you.
    Life is Good

I have a pair of these and they work well for me. Someone suggested them...

Name:  170209_lg..jpg
Views: 772
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  170209_2_lg..jpg
Views: 772
Size:  33.3 KB