Thread: Instant Karma (kind of)

Instant Karma (kind of)

So I've been working at the lodge in Zions () for a year and 9 months. I've become kind of an expert on the hikes here and I'm very confident in the advice I give people. And I genuinely like to help people.

So one day I was taking some Phillipino girls into the Narrows on their last day here before going back home. I was sort of their guide and leader and I was naming the sites as we passed them and telling about people rapelling down from up there blah blah blah etc...

So we went to Wall Street and then back to Orderville and had some lunch and started heading back. About half way back, I saw this fat woman struggling to stay on her feet. She was sliding all around, using her stick wrong (TWSS) and just generally hating it. So I stopped and offered advice. I gave her a good 2 or 3 minute demonstration on how to use the stick properly. "Face upstream, use the stick for a third leg. Plant the stick, move your first foot, don't move your second foot until your first is planted, etc..." She was very impressed and for the girls I was with it was a reminder of what I had been telling them all morning. As I was teaching this woman, a few other noobs started listening to me as well. I was really pumped that I could help out and everybody thought I was this really cool guy for stopping and helping out.

So after I finished the lesson I was feeling so good about myself and reminding myself of really how great I actually am. With my self confidence spilling over the rim I almost broke my elbow patting myself on the back. I turned to leave, looked back and said, "That's how you do it!!!" I couldn't be more awesome at this point.

I should have listened to my own advice. The first step I took I didn't plant the stick and slipped and fell right on my face in the river. Everybody got a really nice laugh out of it including myself. The girls thought I was mad and they didn't laugh for a few minutes. Once I told them about the concept of Instant Karma they started to laugh and they realized I was OK with it. It was pretty funny.

Later that day we were eating lunch at the lodge and the mood was fun and silly because it was their last day in Zions. I thought I would be Mr. Funny Guy so I reached over and pulled Shari's hat down over her eyes like you did when you were a kid. After pulling the hat down, I was pulling my arm back and I knocked my cup of iced tea all over my lap and everybody laughed and exclaimed "Instant Karma!!!"

If you can't laugh at yourself...

ETA: TL;DR: I thought I was cool. I wasn't.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elkshadow View Post
    So I've been working at the lodge in Zions () for a year and 9 months. I've become kind of an expert on the hikes here and I'm very confident in the advice I give people. And I genuinely like to help people.

So one day I was taking some Phillipino girls into the Narrows on their last day here before going back home. I was sort of their guide and leader and I was naming the sites as we passed them and telling about people rapelling down from up there blah blah blah etc...

So we went to Wall Street and then back to Orderville and had some lunch and started heading back. About half way back, I saw this fat woman struggling to stay on her feet. She was sliding all around, using her stick wrong (TWSS) and just generally hating it. So I stopped and offered advice. I gave her a good 2 or 3 minute demonstration on how to use the stick properly. "Face upstream, use the stick for a third leg. Plant the stick, move your first foot, don't move your second foot until your first is planted, etc..." She was very impressed and for the girls I was with it was a reminder of what I had been telling them all morning. As I was teaching this woman, a few other noobs started listening to me as well. I was really pumped that I could help out and everybody thought I was this really cool guy for stopping and helping out.

So after I finished the lesson I was feeling so good about myself and reminding myself of really how great I actually am. With my self confidence spilling over the rim I almost broke my elbow patting myself on the back. I turned to leave, looked back and said, "That's how you do it!!!" I couldn't be more awesome at this point.

I should have listened to my own advice. The first step I took I didn't plant the stick and slipped and fell right on my face in the river. Everybody got a really nice laugh out of it including myself. The girls thought I was mad and they didn't laugh for a few minutes. Once I told them about the concept of Instant Karma they started to laugh and they realized I was OK with it. It was pretty funny.

Later that day we were eating lunch at the lodge and the mood was fun and silly because it was their last day in Zions. I thought I would be Mr. Funny Guy so I reached over and pulled Shari's hat down over her eyes like you did when you were a kid. After pulling the hat down, I was pulling my arm back and I knocked my cup of iced tea all over my lap and everybody laughed and exclaimed "Instant Karma!!!"

If you can't laugh at yourself...

ETA: TL;DR: I thought I was cool. I wasn't.
    Glad you're enjoying Zions Nationals Parks, Mr. I Thought I Was Cool. Haha
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Yeah, Zions Nationals Parks is cool when you're an expert.

That was hilarious!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

That was a good story!

Nice.