Thread: Southwest Colorado - The San Juans

Trip Report: Southwest Colorado - The San Juans

A couple weeks ago my family had a reunion at a place called Circle K Ranch on the Dolores River in southwest Colorado. It's in between Dolores and Rico if anybody knows the area and is in the San Jaun National Forest. All around you is plenty of the typical beauty that is the Rockies. My wife and son and I always like to spend a little extra time there apart from the reunion and see some of that beautiful country. One day we did 45 miles on the ATVs and rode up Scotch Creek to an old Uranium mine and then on to Bolam Pass where you can see clear to Lizard Head Peak. Unfortunately the clouds rolled in so the photo opportunities where limited there. As a mater of fact, we had to put on our rain gear and get down off the mountain to escape the lightning flashing all around us. That afternoon, my son Devin and I went looking for and found a little known waterfall called Mystic Falls (aka Impossible Falls) in the small community of Ames where I had opportunity do my photography thing and came back with some nice images of a fantastic waterfall - one of the most beautiful I've seen. Of course, all around is forest and mountain and lake and I had trouble not stopping every time I saw something that grabbed my eye. My wife gets a little impatient when I get out my camera and tripod and start to set up for a shot. My son on the other hand helps me spot the shot. On another day we went for a hike to try to find Navajo Lake in the Lizard Head Wilderness area. The day started off pretty well but again the clouds rolled in after noon and we got chased off the mountain but not after some good photo ops and a little "too close for comfort" lightning that felt like was right over our heads. I was amazed to see several intrepid hikers going up the trail in a steady downpour as we were hightailing it out of there. It doesn't sound too fun to have to set up camp in the rain nor does it seem too safe to be on the mountain at 11 or 12,000 feet with lightning flashing all around you But what's a little rain and hail and lightning when it comes to outdoor adventure huh? We never tire of that area and can't wait to go back again. Luckily we have our reunion every 2 years at the same place so we'll be seeing some more of Colorado soon. Enjoy the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sorry about all the pics of Mystic Falls but it was impossible to do it justice with only a couple shots

Here are a few shots from our day in the Lizard Head Wilderness. We got soaked on our way out of here. It was just starting to rain when I snapped the 4 shots of this waterfall. Luckily I got a good one.

And lastly along the highway between Rico and Telluride. The lake is Trout Lake.

Gorgeous photos! I wish my family would go somewhere like that!

Great stuff. That trout lake shot is epic.

8. Likes okieman liked this post
    I really wanna see the pics you posted... are they no longer available?

Hi... may I see the pics you posted please?