Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing your wife flowers?

Bringing your wife flowers?

I bring my wife flowers once a week, usually on Friday on my way home from work. This time the place I usually get flowers was out of them any so I went to the local grocery store (Safeway).

Anyway, no less than four women (including a customer, the person in the floral department, a neighbor and the cashier) ask me if it was my wife’s birthday or anniversary. I answered, “No; I bring my wife flowers every Friday”. When I ask by the cashier and told her the same thing it even caused a stir in the grocery line and lots of questions from others in line such as “how long have you been married?” (17 years) and such.

Needless to say, I was surprised by the attention. Seriously, is it that unusual to bring your wife flowers these days (other than birthdays and anniversaries)? Maybe I just hit it on an off day.

If it really is that unusual, then some of the guys out there ought to be at least a little ashamed of yourselves.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I very very seldom buy my wife flowers, and I don't feel the least bit ashamed. Maybe if she would do the dishes every once in a while...
    Blog | FB

I still send flowers to Abby's office, often "because it's Tuesday" or whatever. She seems to like showing them off to her co-workers and reading whatever sweet nothing I write on the card. Married almost six years and still doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    I very very seldom buy my wife flowers, and I don't feel the least bit ashamed. Maybe if she would do the dishes every once in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron View Post
    Married almost six years and still doing it.
    Richard, this might be a little too much information...

I must admit that my flower purchases are more infrequent than they used to be. We both buy flowers for the table on a fairly frequent basis (probably every two to three weeks between us) but they're not really "for" each other.

My wife might reply "what did you do?" or "what do you want?"

I do bring her flowers now and then tho. It's just what you should do

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post

Richard, this might be a little too much information...
    Hmm. How can I phrase it to clarify?

Married almost six years and "still" doing it.
    Married almost six years and "still doing it."
    Married almost six years and still "doing it."
    Married almost six years and still "doing" it.
    Married almost six years and still doing "it."
    Married almost six years and still married.

I used to get them for my wife every month but I hated feeling like I had an obligation to do it so I stopped. Now they are more appreciated when it happens because it is not expected.

I usually just cook for my wife. I have done the flowers thing, food seems to be a better hit than the floral kind of gift.

Not to be braggy but here is more proof that I married the right girl. My wife doesn't like me to buy her flowers because she feels like it is wasting money because they fade so quickly. Instead our version of bringing her flowers is to bring her home a surprise practical item like camping items (backpacking stove, sporks, etc.) or other emergency essential items (food dehydrator, water containers, etc.). We have been too poor this last year as home owners to buy anything we didn't need, but she loves it when I bring home new door knobs or other house improvement items she wanted.

So although I only generally bring my wife flowers a couple of times a year, I still bring her the equivalent items which show her I lover her and make her feel special. As far as flowers go, my wife dislikes roses but other people view them as the end all romantic flower. I obviously believe my wife to be special, but I would like to believe that other couples out there have found their random unexpected gifts that say I love you which doesn't always subscribe to the conventional methods, but instead on a very individual basis.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Bogley BigShot
    Nothing is better than to give nice things to your lady.... unexpected is great as long as its often. Never forget how important she is to you, and how little things like that make her day. You keep her happy, feeling wanted and loved and she will (should anyway) keep you happy in many many ways.

So yeah guys... bring home your love in many ways!

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    Not to be braggy but here is more proof that I married the right girl. My wife doesn't like me to buy her flowers because she feels like it is wasting money because they fade so quickly. Instead our version of bringing her flowers is to bring her home a surprise practical item like camping items (backpacking stove, sporks, etc.) or other emergency essential items (food dehydrator, water containers, etc.). We have been too poor this last year as home owners to buy anything we didn't need, but she loves it when I bring home new door knobs or other house improvement items she wanted.

So although I only generally bring my wife flowers a couple of times a year, I still bring her the equivalent items which show her I lover her and make her feel special. As far as flowers go, my wife dislikes roses but other people view them as the end all romantic flower. I obviously believe my wife to be special, but I would like to believe that other couples out there have found their random unexpected gifts that say I love you which doesn't always subscribe to the conventional methods, but instead on a very individual basis.

Not married, but hope I find someone like this. Not a fan of flowers, they die quick and are easily discarded. A symbolic gesture of love should be more enduring and personal. Although I guess the notion "I took something beautiful and killed it for you" can work in some marriages.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

my wife and I go out on a DATE every week. doesnt matter if its walking the aisles of the store or out for a meal or a movie. The phones go off until we are done. We've had our bad days and our good days but we've been married for 27 years now....

I usually just cook for my wife. I have done the flowers thing, food seems to be a better hit than the floral kind of gift.

Great points Disc and Dr. Nebz. Not all women like the same gifts.

================================================== ===============================

Anyway, lest anyone misinterpret, my post wasn't really so much about the type of gift itself, nor the frequency, but the fact that it actually caused a little stir/reaction in the store in that it seemed that it was deemed unusual since it wasn't her birthday or anniversary. I guess I've never thought about it that way before and it surprized me. It could have just been a coincidence as well.

Bogley BigShot
    You are a good man Scott. Probably caused a stir because good men are a dying breed. Keep it up! Love your family trail reports too. You are a keeper! Your wife is lucky!

Last night, Thane took me up on top of the hill next to the airport to watch the lightning storm over Pine Valley, Hurricane and Utah Hill. We got out of the truck and just watched rain DUMP on the mountain and lightning strike all around while it sprinkled on us. Flowers are nice, but I would much, MUCH rather have a moment like that as the end all romantic gesture.
    To each his (or her) own
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

Wait a minute, you people buy flowers and you are NOT in trouble?

Life is Good

I have received flowers once in two years. I think if it's every week it gets kind of predictable. I'd rather it be a surprise, but every recipient is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Although I guess the notion "I took something beautiful and killed it for you" can work in some marriages.
    Outside is the best side

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Even dead flowers are absolutely beautiful.

Name:  dried flowers..jpg
Views: 183
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  dried flowers 2..jpg
Views: 182
Size:  257.8 KB

It doesn't matter what you give to show your love... flowers, statues, or practical gifts, if it is given under false pretenses the gift doesn't mean a thing.

I second Tanya on all accounts! Good work Scott your wife is lucky.
    Chere'