Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a friend to do the bridge mountain arch hike in zion

looking for a friend to do the bridge mountain arch hike in zion

hey my name is joe ilive in mass i visit zion every year . this year i need to do the bridge mountain arch hike i am a novise hiker but am very determand i am looking for a friend or friends with a bit more expairance then me to make the hike i have researched the hike and i knowwhat is instore im looking to do a one day hike to the arch and back i know it a long hike and am well prepaired i will be in zion the second week in oct . anyone is interested please call me at 508-916-9792 or email me at nsjd129 at aol.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I hiked bridge mountain 3 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the hike. Good luck!

might i add this is a paying job i know you can not hire a guide to go into zion so im lookin for someone who has a bit more exp. or someone who has done it before to be a friend for hire for the day i will take care of all expences im gona do this hike even if it comes down to doing it myself, i will be single when i return, if i go alone but that a chance im willing to take someone help

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Ah,... to be young and foolish again...

1. If you're going to do something illegal, probably best not to advertise it on the Internets.

2. You know this route has a climbing pitch, right??? Not real hard, be definitely 5th class.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Ah,... to be young and foolish again...

1. If you're going to do something illegal, probably best not to advertise it on the Internets.

2. You know this route has a climbing pitch, right??? Not real hard, be definitely 5th class.

Tom
    No , No not trying to do anything illegal just tryin to rent a friend for a day, you rent a car ,you rent a house , why not a friend
    I have researched the hike for some time now and from what i hear its a hike better taken in pairs

Plenty of people on these groups who meet up just for fun... with no monetary exchange. Tom is right, if you really want to pay someone to do this, dont ask over open internet. When it comes to this, renting a friend that has the experience and can guide you up there, you are basically asking to hire a guide... which most locals know better not to do. Sorry for the bad news.

NO NO im no looking for anyone to guide me anywere i know the way like i said i have researched the hike for two year and thanks to people like bo and joes guide , thomas brereton and james dunaway and my trusty gps and the ton of maps heck ive taken the hike many times in my sleep so you see it become quite a quest for me. and i heard that this would be the place to find some one to go with but incase you havent noticed nobody is exzactly jumpin at the chance. i know its only been posted for a few days but with every view and no takers my odds get worse all i am saying if someone wanted to take to hike with me but needed a little help with expences to grt to zion on that day i could help. and let me just say that i think that if you could hire a guide it would get more people involved in hiking and mabe people wont get in over their heads and we would have less accidents and less lost and missing people.

Quote Originally Posted by azhiaziam View Post
    NO NO im no looking for anyone to guide me anywere i know the way like i said i have researched the hike for two year and thanks to people like bo and joes guide , thomas brereton and james dunaway and my trusty gps and the ton of maps heck ive taken the hike many times in my sleep so you see it become quite a quest for me. and i heard that this would be the place to find some one to go with but incase you havent noticed nobody is exzactly jumpin at the chance. i know its only been posted for a few days but with every view and no takers my odds get worse all i am saying if someone wanted to take to hike with me but needed a little help with expences to grt to zion on that day i could help. and let me just say that i think that if you could hire a guide it would get more people involved in hiking and mabe people wont get in over their heads and we would have less accidents and less lost and missing people.
    People who are local probably make their plans not so far in advance. Keep it present, and you might have someone sign up to join you a week or two in advance. It is a wonderful adventure out there, a whole lotta fun!!!

Tom

Just curious.... out of the hundreds of great adventures in Zion why is it you have your heart so set on Bridge Mountain?

WOW finally some one asks me about the hike . back in the late 70s went i was a wee lad my dad took me to zion i looked much diffrent then it does now, he loved the place in the late 80s he and my mom split and he moved form mass. to grafton and lived like a hermet just to be near zion in the lat 80 he met a man james dunaway and made the hike to crawford arch . he said it changed his life . for year he tryed to get my mom to send me out to see him but she never did heck he could bearly feed him self never mind tack care of me . he wrote me many of letters sitting on to arch when i was old enough to go to see him on my own i was a teenager with better thing to do then see my long bearded dad that lived like a hermet . or so i tought ,i had a great job and dident have the time . five years ago i bought the company and my mom told me my dad was ill and would love it if i went to see him well i found out he had cancer so i planed a trip to zion for the end of 2006 , my dad dident make it 30 days my mom told me it was near the end so i flew out the next day and had the pleasure of spending the last 4 day with him he told me he had made the hike more then twenty times he also told me of a diffrent way to the arch that was a three day hike . one of the last things he said to me is to take the hike " he left me somethimg up there" knowing my dad that could mean anything . so this is the year i need to go sit on the arch im sure ill find what im lookin for Thanks for askin

he moved form mass. to grafton and lived like a hermet just to be near zion in the lat 80 he met a man james dunaway and made the hike to crawford arch . he said it changed his life.
    I assume you know that James Dunaway literally wrote the book on Zion's backcountry?

Exploring the Backcountry of Zion National Park: Off-Trail Routes
    By James Dunaway and Thomas Brereton

This is also known as the "Green Book". The book came out in 1988 and was update in 1997.... this book is the grandfather of just about every backcountry book or website on Zion.

WOW finally some one asks me about the hike.
    Enjoy your adventure.... and don't mind all the internet whining.... some of these guys get caught up in playing Internet Sheriff and forget it's all about the fun and excitement.

And Welcome to Bogley.

Name:  c8b2729fd7a02eba44&#1.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  22.3 KB

The book is out of print, but usually can be acquired on eBay without too much of a tax.

Tom

yea i found a first print copy of that book my dads hiking stuff alomg with tons of maps and notes on many other zion hkes i never heard of. he also claims to have went down the other side of bridge mountain. his friends told me that he would go hiking for ten days at a time on very little water, canned tuna , peanut butter,raisens and tons of grass, he would camp at the arch and watch the construction. and smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious.... out of the hundreds of great adventures in Zion why is it you have your heart so set on Bridge Mountain?
    Well, it *is* one of the finest hikes in park!

great shot

im told that this is my dad taken by a park ranger as evidence, he never did get any permits
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool pic.... and you don't need a permit to day hike Bridge Mtn.

yea my dad roamed the canyon for days at a time but never got any permits he camped at the arch for ten days at one time as well as lady mountain and camp creek. he even states in his log that one night in 89 he was sleeping when he awoke to a mountain lion at his feet and fended him off by hitting square in the face with a can of tuna i just want to add that i have been in contact with bo beck , and he has set me up with a lead to finding a friend for the hike i have had many replys througt private message and may have found someone thanks bo !

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Cool pic.... and you don't need a permit to day hike Bridge Mtn.
    But these days, you would need a permit to camp up there!

Interesting picture. My source indicates that the series of pictures was taken before 1950: http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0611zion/index3.htm Your dad active there that long ago?

But I did not find one in the archive without the head cut off. Do you have a large-size digital version I could have and use, by any chance? Or point me to a source?

Tom

after more research of my dads family tree i found out that his great,great grandfather was a morman that settled zion in 1860, in 1862 the the town of grafton was wiped out by indians many of the settelers hid in the highland of zion , sometime later william crawford discovered the arch. he and a team set out to the arch the guy in the photo is crawford in 1929 the only one who had the sack to walk out on it. the photo of my dad out on it is similar from a slitely diffrent angle. the photo in my profile someone from this site sent me. cant wait to take the same photo of myself!

Joe,
    Not sure if you got my email last week but I am interested in going on this hike with you. I planned on doing it this fall time and sure hope I can go in your group. My email is tylerhirshfeld@hotmail.com.