Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rope Bags, what do you use?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwild View Post
    Agree. The BW rescue bag does require skill to stuff. But it is intended as a very special purpose bag -- for a 100-foot 8mm rescue rope that sits in the bottom of your pack, rarely (if ever) used. If someone is stuffing that bag on a regular basis, he needs to ask himself what he is doing wrong that results in deploying his rescue rope so often.

For primary ropes for most people, Tom's bags are currently the best option.
    So if canyoneering with 3 people, and all 3 have rescue ropes in their packs, is it wrong to use one of them for a non rescue?
    This takes into consideration that whomever has a rescue rope not being used, is the last to rappel.(1-rescue rope always at the top)
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Before I obtained one of Tom's fancy rope bags I just used a cheap old nylon backpack that I picked up off a bargain table for $5. I added about 6 large grommets in the bottom. I would stick the rope through one of the grommets and tie a knot in the rope so it would pull back through. No sewing involved..... took about 15 minutes to make and worked good enough. The trick is finding a bargain backpack the correct size.

I ordered the small silo from Tom about 45 minutes ago. Will probably use a cheap bag for my friends rope. I'm sure he'll want one of the Imlay bags after he sees mine.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    So if canyoneering with 3 people, and all 3 have rescue ropes in their packs, is it wrong to use one of them for a non rescue?
    This takes into consideration that whomever has a rescue rope not being used, is the last to rappel.(1-rescue rope always at the top)
    Semantics, but I will suggest that, just because 3 people are carrying 8mm ropes in bags that were designed as rescue bags does not mean there are 3 rescue ropes. Only one is THE rescue rope that should be held in reserve at the back of the line. The other two are just 8mm ropes that should be carried in more efficient rope bags and used at will.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Before I obtained one of Tom's fancy rope bags I just used a cheap old nylon backpack that I picked up off a bargain table for $5. I added about 6 large grommets in the bottom. I would stick the rope through one of the grommets and tie a knot in the rope so it would pull back through. No sewing involved..... took about 15 minutes to make and worked good enough. The trick is finding a bargain backpack the correct size.
    You are using a rope bag now? Does this mean you finally converted from toss 'n go to SRT?
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Quote Originally Posted by rcwild View Post
    You are using a rope bag now? Does this mean you finally converted from toss 'n go to SRT?
    Complicated answer.... short answer is "it depends"....

When I carry long ropes (over 120') I now use a rope bag, or deploy out of my pack like a rope bag. I also have a 200' 6mm pull chord I carry in one of Tom's baguettes.

When I carry short ropes (120' or less) I prefer to coil because it's faster for me.... now days I tend to think of ropes more like golf clubs, and pick the correct rope for the job. Which is easy for me because I have a dozen ropes of different length's lying around the house. I understand this would not work for the noob with only one or two ropes.

Outside of Zion there are not many places on the CP that require long ropes. And since I seldom do Zion canyons any more (can't stand the permit fiasco), I seldom carry long ropes, so I seldom use a rope bag.....

Couple of examples for those playing along at home.....

Option #1
    If I were doing Pine Creek with an experienced partner we would probably both carry one 100' rope. I would coil mine.....

Option #2
    If I were doing Pine Creek with noobs, or the wife and kids (in what I call guide mode) I'd probably use a 200' rope out of a bag......

Option #3
    If I were doing Heaps it would be rope bag all the way....

Option #4
    I'd probably never carry a rope bag anywhere near most the North Wash slots.

How is that for clear as mud?

8. Likes StarFangledNut liked this post
    Ive been doing cayons now for i would say 7 years or so and have never used a rope bag. I just don't see the point of carrying it, what if you have to use your hands a lot do you just put it down or pass it to a partner. Either i stuff the rope in my pack or tie it to the outside of my pack. After the drop i just coil it up for the next drop. Seems to work pretty good so far and yes i understand that a class C canyon it would suck because the left over rope and the bottom would most likely get stuck in the hydros or a log or something. I kinda do canyons like Ice was talking about, i just bring what i need and one rescue rope. But then again i don't really venture to for away from the safe canyons of zion either.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

For years, I have always just stuffed my rope straight into my pack. But I am adapting to stuffing into a rope bag intead. Imlay Canyon Gear is the way to go if you are looking for durability.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I also have a 200' 6mm pull chord I carry in one of Tom's baguettes.
    [thick eastern european accent]

What is this pull CHORD? Your friends all make harmony while you are pulling down the rope? This sounds very beautiful and enhances the canyon experience I am sure! Or perhaps you are like Joshua in the Bible and blow a trumpet, and your rappelling CORD just falls to the ground. Slaughtering the Canaanites you should maybe not do if you are in the National Park and do not have the permit.

It is good, this "Tom entertaining himself", yes???
    [/thick eastern european accent]

Quote Originally Posted by tylerhirshfeld View Post
    For years, I have always just stuffed my rope straight into my pack. But I am adapting to stuffing into a rope bag intead. Imlay Canyon Gear is the way to go if you are looking for durability.
    There are many different ways to manage your ropes in a canyon; some are easier, some are more difficult; using separate rope bags for your rope tends to be easier, and lead to fewer rope "difficulties" such as tangles and stuck ends. Claims to the moral high-ground (ie, doing it the RIGHT way) should always be viewed with skepticism - but avoiding rope difficulties is perhaps the only grounds for claiming use of ropebags is "right".

Stuffing the rope directly into MY pack is an excellent way for control freaks like me to maintain a tight leash on the group. Different group dynamics (which may or may not be better) are attained by having the rope in a separate bag not tightly linked to one individual, and thus available to all. For me, the "keeping the group on a tight leash" instinct is overwhelmed by the "let the young bucks do all the work" instinct; and everyone has a more enjoyable experience.

Tom

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    To expound on this a little--when I do canyons with Tyler, he carries his rope in his pack. Since he is so young and strong, he also carries my rope, in a rope bag, on top of his rope, in his pack.
    Sooo nice to have talented, young, strong, partners.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Tom,

That bag got to me in 2 days! Thanks for the quick turnaround.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    Tom,

That bag got to me in 2 days! Thanks for the quick turnaround.
    We aim to please.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    To expound on this a little--when I do canyons with Tyler, he carries his rope in his pack. Since he is so young and strong, he also carries my rope, in a rope bag, on top of his rope, in his pack.
    Sooo nice to have talented, young, strong, partners.
    Hence the reason I dont invite Kurt on canyons.... Just kiddin. I understand that he is just trying to bring me down to his level.. Either way, its always fun going out with you guys, Kurt!

[thinking to himself] Sure wish I could get my hands on an Imlay rope bag :-( [/thinking to himself]

I use some of tom's, and have made some of my own.

I could make ya one. How much rope are you needing to carry?

$35 for a small 25m x 8mm
    $45 for a medium 40m x 8-9mm
    $55 for a large 60m x 8-9 mm

Let me know, I'm getting pretty good at putting one together in a few hours.

19. Likes pikan, Sandstone Addiction, Kuya liked this post
    Those bags look really cool Bootboy. Did you sew in some flotation material into the back? Do you have a stiff rim around the opening? My rope is 9.2 65M; I assume the large will hold it just fine?

Yes and yes. Lined with removable closed-cell foam and the rim is bound in doubled 1" webbing.

I need a pull cord bag for 200 foot 6 mm cord and Tom is sold out. Any ideas. Bootboy those bags look pretty awesome.

Thanks for the info Bootboy. Cool bags!. I'll PM you if I decide to pick one up.