Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rope Bags, what do you use?

Rope Bags, what do you use?

Tired of carrying around 150' of 9mm rope and was thinking about getting a rope bag. There's a lot of different manufacturers, styles and sizes out there so I'm having trouble figuring out what would be the easiest to use.

Any suggestions and why would be appreciated. And a good place to pick one up would be nice. We're leaving for Zion next week and I thought about picking one up along the way but not familiar with the stores out there.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I've like my Imlay rope bags. What I like about these over some of the other rope bags on the market is that the bag floats in wet canyons. Note I've never had a problem with lack of flotation, but have heard stories of individuals throwing a fully over stuffed rope bag and losing all of their rope and bag in a pothole full of water.

A good place to purchase is the Desert Rat in St. George from Bo Beck.

Another one I've seen used with success among canyon partners is a BlueWater rescue rope bag.

also have had parters succefully deploy the rope out of their back pack using the back pack like a rope bag. Probably not a good idea to throw your back pack. instead deploy the rope out of the bag.

hope the info helps

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Theres Imlay canyon gear rope bags, then theres the rest..........

The Bluewater rescue rope bag is a PITA to stuff. So if used as a real rescue rope, no big deal. If used as a intended rope in the canyon and requiring repeated stuffing,not so fun.(I'm only familiar with the 100' version of this) I believe the rope is 7mm.

I own 5 ICG rope bags.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    X2
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    X2
    X3
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Yeah, I loved Cody's Imlay bag so much I finally broke down & bought one. And a rope. I need to get into some canyons soon...

X whatever number I am. I have a Bagarino and a Small Rope Silo. While I've not experimented with others, both are great, and I wouldn't give them up.

The Bluewater rescue rope bag is a PITA to stuff. So if used as a real rescue rope, no big deal. If used as a intended rope in the canyon and requiring repeated stuffing,not so fun.(I'm only familiar with the 100' version of this) I believe the rope is 7mm.
    I know it sucks to stuff, gotta get me a bagarino to go with my Imlay bag for the 100' 8mm.
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks all!

Just need to pick one up while I'm out there as I doubt it will get shipped to me in time. Wonder if Escalante Outfitters carries it? That's our first stop otherwise I can try the places south of Zion.
    -------
    Jeff

~Dr. Suess~

You can make your purchase from Tom:

canyoneeringusa.com
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I have a 200' 9.3mm rope in one of Tom's 'small' rope bags and it fills the bag nicely. The 'medium' had lots of extra room, too much for what I wanted. Imlay rope bags are great.

Quote Originally Posted by utswell View Post
    I have a 200' 9.3mm rope in one of Tom's 'small' rope bags and it fills the bag nicely. The 'medium' had lots of extra room, too much for what I wanted. Imlay rope bags are great.
    Yeah, 120' of 8.3 Canyon Fire rope and 120' 6mm pull cord fit nicely in the even smaller Bagarino.
    http://imlaycanyongear.com/ropebags.php

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    You can make your purchase from Tom:

canyoneeringusa.com
    I got my rope from Tom, should have bought the bag as well. Is he in the area out there because I'm not sure I can get it here in Cincinnati before I leave next Thursday?
    -------
    Jeff

~Dr. Suess~

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    I got my rope from Tom, should have bought the bag as well. Is he in the area out there because I'm not sure I can get it here in Cincinnati before I leave next Thursday?
    EZ. no problemo, but especially it you order today, before 1 pm your time.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    EZ. no problemo, but especially it you order today, before 1 pm your time.

Tom
    Tom, sent you a PM. Not sure if it would be easier to pick it up out there or not since we're headed that way. Another question, would the small silo fit the 9.3mm 150' rope?
    -------
    Jeff

~Dr. Suess~

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    email works for me: canyoneeringusa@gmail dot com PM? what is this PM???

Are you driving? Escalante Outfitters is a dealer, but they do not carry much stuff. Also dealers in SLC, Provo, Orem, Boulder CO, Moab. Springdale, St George.

9.3 x 150 would probably fit better in a Medium Silo. What rope do you have? From me? you mean 8.3 Canyon Fire x 150 feet = Small Silo?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    email works for me: canyoneeringusa@gmail dot com PM? what is this PM???

Are you driving? Escalante Outfitters is a dealer, but they do not carry much stuff. Also dealers in SLC, Provo, Orem, Boulder CO, Moab. Springdale, St George.

9.3 x 150 would probably fit better in a Medium Silo. What rope do you have? From me? you mean 8.3 Canyon Fire x 150 feet = Small Silo?

Tom
    PM = Private Message, Yes we are driving out and I thought I could save a little on shipping if I just picked it up. I could go ahead and order it now if you think it will get here before next thursday?

Yes, I bought the Imlay Canyon Rope 9mm from you (for some reason I thought it was 9.3). I originally bout 300' but have cut it down to 2 - 150' sections. I was just reading Utswell's post above saying that he has 200' in your small silo so if that fit's shouldn't 150' of what I have fit? (I'm all for reducing bulk)
    -------
    Jeff

~Dr. Suess~

The Bluewater rescue rope bag is a PITA to stuff. So if used as a real rescue rope, no big deal. If used as a intended rope in the canyon and requiring repeated stuffing, not so fun.
    Agree. The BW rescue bag does require skill to stuff. But it is intended as a very special purpose bag -- for a 100-foot 8mm rescue rope that sits in the bottom of your pack, rarely (if ever) used. If someone is stuffing that bag on a regular basis, he needs to ask himself what he is doing wrong that results in deploying his rescue rope so often.

For primary ropes for most people, Tom's bags are currently the best option.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

$1 backpacks from DI. Put 6 grommets in the bottom of each one. Sew styrofoam in the front of the pack for flotation. Sew a cordelette loop in the bottom of the pack to tie the rope to. Total time invested per bag - 30 minutes. Total cost per bag - $1.25. Average number of canyons each bag can handle - 14 and counting.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

I tried to make my own using the instruction found here: http://www.canyonwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Rope_bags but got extremely frustrated and am not happy with the results. My sewing skills are lacking and my machine doesn't have a free arm to be able to sew in tight areas so I gave up last night trying to sew on the bag top.

I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic and am pretty handy with a lot of things but sometime you just have to spend the money and get what works rather than do it yourself.
    -------
    Jeff

~Dr. Suess~