Thread: Mary's, Blue and Grassy

Mary's, Blue and Grassy

For this week's family trip, I thought it would be nice to get into a spot in one of my favorite areas that I hadn't been to yet or seen a report about. Mary's Lake, near Joe's Valley Reservoir, seemed like the perfect place for some family fun, road permitting.

The weather was pretty awful at the summit of Fairview Canyon and the rain came down so hard that we hydroplaned much of the way down the hill, going down toward Huntington Reservoir. Luckily, I was somewhat expecting this and was able to "feather the wheel" enough to keep us straight until the tires made contact with the asphalt again. Still some pucker factor though.

While driving by, it was too hard to pass up a quick few tosses into what I've started to call "Obsession Creek". A couple of nicer cutts came to investigate my lure, but the only one I could hang onto was a tightly speckled little guy:

It sure is pretty country.

The rain started to catch up to us, so it was time moving toward our main destination, only stopping to admire a couple of ponds close to the lake.

Mary's lies just up the hill from that pond. A couple of others are tucked back in the surrounding woods. Nice looking ponds, but very shallow.

While creeping up to Mary's, a truck was coming down and we asked how the fishing went.

"There's no fish!" said the driver, to which I cited what I'd read on the stocking reports. The lake receives somewhere the neighborhood of 1000 rainbows per year, with the exception of the last two years:

MARYS L Sanpete BROOK TROUT 495 2.83" 07/07/2010
    MARYS L Sanpete BROOK TROUT 500 3.15" 07/16/2009
    MARYS L Sanpete GRAYLING ARCTIC 507 1.4" 08/05/2009
    Considering how little I've read about the lake and how fishy the surrounding area is, I thought for sure I'd get us into some fat rainbows from the past. I was wrong.

After walking the entire shoreline, I was convinced that it was empty. The only movement I saw was from salamanders and bugs. For being stocked 3 weeks ago, I was at least expecting to see some fingerling trout swimming around. No dice. Pretty lake though. Also very shallow. The bottom was visible to the middle, all the way around.

We didn't stay long, once I'd discovered the lack of fish. At least the area is full of other options. We hit the other side of Olsen Canyon and fished Blue Lake next. The fish were hiding in the thick weed beds. Plenty would follow, but only one tasted metal:

It's not holding much water this year, surprisingly enough.

Next, we fished Grassy, where the water level appeared to be about 6 feet shy of the high mark. That's actually a lot for that lake. Fishing from shore was tough because of the weeds. Lures snagged up on every cast, but I still got a rainbow to bite.

My wife got a couple of fish too, so it seemed as if the day was actually salvaged, despite the late start we seemed to be cursed with every trip.

It sure is a nice area and it's sad to see the water levels lower than usual. The fishing could've been better, but at least we got out and saw some beautiful country together. I think my little lady is starting to understand that's it's not just about the fish.

We left a little too late for any summit sky shots, but there was still plenty to see above Joe's:

It was a nice day to spend with family.

Happy Fishing, Humans.

Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement